Where do we go from here?

CheltenhamRam

We are still joint with Brighton for the least defeats, and two of the four have come in the last four games.

Burnley looked a bit shaky second half at Brentford and I see now reason why if we keep it tight we can not come away with at least a point.

We should have had one last time we played there if not for a stupid referee.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, nottingram said:

I miss that 13/14 side more and more by the day. Can you look at many of the team now and say they've been an improvement on what we had then? I think only Carson and Ince get a place, and even though Shackell is a better defender, we miss Buxton's distribution so much. 

Indeed we do. Shackell has brought a real calm to the defence and is solid as a rock, not to mention making Keogh a better player. However, Shackells passing is rubbish. He has no vision and slows play down looking for an easy pass. 

Similarly, I think that we're missing Forsyth. Although Warnock has stepped up really well, and is defensively as good as Fozzy, he offers so much less going forward. Forsyth's ability to bring a ball down, aided by his height, meant that defenders and keeper could always fire the ball out to the left and Fozzy would generally retain possession. Warnock doesn't offer that option.

So for me, we're stronger in defence with Shackell and Warnock, but the cost is that we're weaker going forward and less able to play with a high tempo.

1 hour ago, TroyDyer said:

For all the grief Ince gets for throwing his arms in the air, at least he tries. At least he puts the effort in and tries to make something happen on the pitch with people that weren't trying, I wouldn't just be throwing my fists in the air. 

1 hour ago, Derbydave96 said:

I wouldn't mind seeing PC have a look at reverting back to the 442 diamond he seemed so fond of in pre season.

Would still allow full backs to bomb on, would have Thorne holding, Johnson playing his favoured left side position, butterfield on the right (or even at tip of diamond depending on form), then it allows ince to play central.

53 minutes ago, nottingram said:

I miss that 13/14 side more and more by the day. Can you look at many of the team now and say they've been an improvement on what we had then? I think only Carson and Ince get a place, and even though Shackell is a better defender, we miss Buxton's distribution so much. 

I think Ince does fck all at the moment - the ultimate luxury player. 

57 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

A bit too much love in here for Bryson who is a one trick pony if you ask me.

He cant even kick a ball further than 10 feet.

Really ?? Have a look on youtube at his goal at Watford last season? Or his hat trick at Millwall the season before.! Don't get me wrong I think the playoff season was a one off for him goals wise. 

But to say he can't kick a ball beyond 10 feet is ridiculous.

7 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I agree he doesn't influence the game as much as he should do currently, but what's the solution? Drop him until he becomes a right winger or changes his style of play?

Seems to me we need to be putting our best players in their best positions and getting them on the ball as much as possible! If we can get the best out of Ince we're probably going up. Same goes for Martin, Johnson, Butterfield, Thorne and Hughes when fit.

18 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I agree he is a luxury player. Every good team needs one. Henry was a luxury player. Cantona was a luxury player. But luxury players win you leagues with moments of magic. Just look at the end of last season for his ability to score from nowhere. 

You can't get promoted with 11 runners. Clough era showed that. But you need runners and creators to make a great team. I think we need a luxury player. The problem is the midfield is non existent. 

2 hours ago, Ovis aries said:

We are still joint with Brighton for the least defeats, and two of the four have come in the last four games.

Burnley looked a bit shaky second half at Brentford and I see now reason why if we keep it tight we can not come away with at least a point.

We should have had one last time we played there if not for a stupid referee.

As someone has said on here before, its not wins being more important  than losses and its not vice-versa. Its points.

yes we have equally the fewest defeats, we also have 3 fewer wins than the top 2. So go figure. Id rather us lose a few more if it meant we had won more of those 10 draws.

28 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

As someone has said on here before, its not wins being more important  than losses and its not vice-versa. Its points.

yes we have equally the fewest defeats, we also have 3 fewer wins than the top 2. So go figure. Id rather us lose a few more if it meant we had won more of those 10 draws.

Its also about limiting your rivals points when you play them, we can get the double over Hull and take 4 points from Burnley 

1 hour ago, Ovis aries said:

Its also about limiting your rivals points when you play them, we can get the double over Hull and take 4 points from Burnley 

Middlesboro cant hurt us we have played them twice. April is going to be big for us, we have Hull(h), Brighton(a), Sheff W(H) and Cardiff(a) and maybe Will Hughes back in fully match fit.

• 1 month later...

Archived