Booing?

StockholmRam

9 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

I think it's a very unsophisticated form of showing discontent. One of the lowest forms of group intelligence. I don't get cross about much but I absolutely hate booing your own team or singling players out for personal abuse... 

It cost 50 p when I was 5 and is costing me about a grand total trip to come over and see Man Utd and MK Dons games... But I won't be booing... That you can be sure of.  

Some of our " fans" we're on players backs ( John McGovern and Hinton) when we were winning the bleedin league championship.. So nowts changed. Still moany old Derby. 

Just curious, what's a sophisticated form of showing discontent? You know, in a way that will get through to the players directly.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

I think it's a very unsophisticated form of showing discontent. One of the lowest forms of group intelligence. I don't get cross about much but I absolutely hate booing your own team or singling players out for personal abuse... 

It cost 50 p when I was 5 and is costing me about a grand total trip to come over and see Man Utd and MK Dons games... But I won't be booing... That you can be sure of.  

Some of our " fans" we're on players backs ( John McGovern and Hinton) when we were winning the bleedin league championship.. So nowts changed. Still moany old Derby. 

Yes well I don't boo because I get a weekly appraisal with each individual player each week so I don't have to. :ph34r:

Actually I'm not sure I've ever booed but if others want to after players haven't been pulling their weight then fair enough. If Chris Martin, who's probably earning a good 10k a week at least for the privilege of wearing a Ram on his chest, doesn't make you demean yourself by booing when he's crawling on the floor looking for another free kick  then well done to you. I can understand people who do though.

So good for you. But if you're telling me there isn't a line that can be crossed in the equation of how much you sacrifice + how much the players earn + the effort the players put in then I don't believe you. For some the line has already been crossed. For you it hasn't. But you have a line. Everyone does.

This isn't me being sarcastic Stockholm, mate, but other than booing, how do you let the players know tonight's performance and lack of effort was unacceptable? You could tweet them, but we all know when fans tweet players they go a bit over the top because they're behind a screen. You could not turn up to the next game, but that has an affect on the club's finances.

As I said before, I wasn't there tonight and I wouldn't boo them myself, but it's probably the best way to let the players know they need to do more.

Just now, Cam the Ram said:

This isn't me being sarcastic Stockholm, mate, but other than booing, how do you let the players know tonight's performance and lack of effort was unacceptable? You could tweet them, but we all know when fans tweet players they go a bit over the top because they're behind a screen. You could not turn up to the next game, but that has an affect on the club's finances.

As I said before, I wasn't there tonight and I wouldn't boo them myself, but it's probably the best way to let the players know they need to do more.

I think as professionals the players would know themselves whether they played badly or not, without needing to be told. If not, then PC would let them know himselves. I feel booing after one poor performance is going to be nothing but negative. After a season of mainly highs to turn after one game, where we still remain in the automatic places, is very fickle.

The only thing PC didn't do in his interview was Boo. He showed his frustration at that display and supporters have their right to do the same.

That was the worst performance for a long time and we pay money and stand outside in the cold.

I left on 82 btw bu I think I would have booed at the final whistle.

2 points out of 9 just isn't good enough with the squad we have.

16 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

John McGovern scored the goal that decided the League Championship not long after his rash back pass put George Graham through to deny us a cup final.

Most fans (myself included) felt that he had redeemed himself by the Liverpool goal.

However....

A certain Brian Clough used to remind him before every cup match at Derby and Forest "Just remember, young man, you cost me a cup final!"

So it's not just the odd moany fan!

(I still hate booing though, it's almost as bad as monkey chanting.)

8 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

Yes well I don't boo because I get a weekly appraisal with each individual player each week so I don't have to. :ph34r:

Actually I'm not sure I've ever booed but if others want to after players haven't been pulling their weight then fair enough. If Chris Martin, who's probably earning a good 10k a week at least for the privilege of wearing a Ram on his chest, doesn't make you demean yourself by booing when he's crawling on the floor looking for another free kick  then well done to you. I can understand people who do though.

So good for you. But if you're telling me there isn't a line that can be crossed in the equation of how much you sacrifice + how much the players earn + the effort the players put in then I don't believe you. For some the line has already been crossed. For you it hasn't. But you have a line. Everyone does.

My line would probably be not to go anymore. There's been a couple of " crooked" times in the history of me being a supporter that I've thought I might not want to go anymore until this is all over... But I have never felt the need to boo the team, or players ever. I don't think that is ever acceptable.... 

13 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I felt the boos were aimed at the ref, not the players, fwiw!

Was the ref particularly poor?

There's been no hint of any controversy in any data feeds I've been following. The stats just suggest we were not great. Few shots. Almost none on target. Even in terms of possession. A lot of fouls by the look.

15 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Just curious, what's a sophisticated form of showing discontent? You know, in a way that will get through to the players directly.

I'm not sure I would class myself as sophisticated ( mrs Stockholm I'm sure would disagree) but I've always used self restraint. Even with clowns sitting behind me moaning at McGovern, Keogh, Pickering ( Nick) , Martin..list goes on. I get frustration but find the need to boo a bit cave man... I'd hoped to be a bit more evolved than that, even coming off Breadsall Hilltop...

55 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

Oh dear this is what worries me. Fans who know Nowt. Sorry but this " we've paid our cash so we can boo" stuff. Are you kidding!!!! 

We've a new coach, 6/7 new players.. Not played well and STILL 2nd... I'm sorry but to boo this team and coach or whoever they are booing out there is cretinous. 

Ive watched Derby since 5 years old.. Been to hundreds of games both home and away..spend MY hard earned cash time and again and not once booed my team. Never. That's what cretins do...

you keep on booing..See if it helps one iota... 

You're right but that performance wasn't great, in fact awful, as others point out letting them know AFTER the game is fine if people want to vent, they are not above criticism. Clement said as much and judging by his interview will say a damned sight more.

Need to move on quick, next game please, few socks pulled up and go again.

p.s didn't boo myself, too disappointed, but just think it was understandable.

Archived