Chris Martin has been poor this season

Bris Vegas

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Howard Canitbé said:

It's purely his lack of goals that have lead to people judging him so much more harshly. 

We've not been as prolific this season as in the previous two, but this has come with the benefit of a solid defensive foundation so I'm not complaining. Our build up play hasn't been quite as easy on the eye either and so this has probably also clouded people's judgement of Martin's role in the team. 

Basically we're less pretty and not as free-scoring, but considering that tactic has seen us miss out the last two seasons, I'm happy to try something else.

I'm not sure that's true. He isn't as imperative to our system of football as he was in previous seasons meaning he isn't getting as much supply, ergo implying he isn't seeing as much of the ball and can't impact the game as much.

To me, this is all it seems to be. Due to being such a pivotal player for us in previous seasons, fans are expecting this to continue and for him to be our talisman, however due to play not having to run through him as it has in the past, he's not getting as many direct balls to feet and therefore can't influence the game as much as, i'm sure, he'd like to.

It's not that what he's doing is wrong in any way, it's just that at times he can seem a little bit invisible due to our play, at times, seemingly not requiring him anymore.

I may point out this is not a criticism, just my perceived explanation. I agree though, moments like his assist for Butterfield's goal today have been seemingly ignored for some strange reason, excellent one touch football.

I do think that we have seen more "wasted" balls from CM this season. The ball does seem to bounce that little bit further from him instead of being killed dead or flicks don't find their man, but then he will do a classic Martin, as in to Russell against Ipswich and it does make you think that there is no one else like him in this league. I think it is probably because he doesn't have Bryson, Hendricks or Highes buzzing around him and he is trying just that little bit too hard. As others have said, the system has changed a little this season, but then he still has 9 goals, and more direct assists already than last season, plus all the important touches that have made it easier for others to make assists. I'm sure PC isn't too worried, I know I'm not.

1 minute ago, IlsonDerby said:

Anyone think it's more to do with a changed mentality? It feels like we're shooting from outside the box a lot more frequently this season. Players like Johnson and butterfield are more likely to have a ping than hughes etc. 

Not really, I think it's a case of teams setting out to stop us playing through Martin. 

Game after game, you can see opponents putting someone infront and behind him to stop us using him as that pivot. 

I think his lack of speed is a problem. For a striker, getting on the end of the kind of through balls, like the one he had yesterday, is imperative. His ability to draw a foul seems to have been lost too. I'd prefer someone quicker, and someone who doesn't tell me to F Off...

14 minutes ago, Srg said:

Not really, I think it's a case of teams setting out to stop us playing through Martin. 

Game after game, you can see opponents putting someone infront and behind him to stop us using him as that pivot. 

totally agree.

4 minutes ago, unclej said:

I think his lack of speed is a problem. For a striker, getting on the end of the kind of through balls, like the one he had yesterday, is imperative. His ability to draw a foul seems to have been lost too. I'd prefer someone quicker, and someone who doesn't tell me to F Off...

We're not going to get on then, because

a) I'm slower than Martin

b) F Off

He has obviously been told to make more runs behind the defence to force them a little deeper and create space, but the midfield and defence need to be much better at when to pass it through ti him and when not to.

There were times yesterday when Martin was making runs down the channel with 2 defenders going with him and we were punting it 20 yards ahead of all 3 players. Yet other times he was central, had lost his marker 40 yards out and wanted a little sidefoot pass sliding behind the defence and nothing came. I would say the timing and execution of our runs and resulting passes behind the opposition defence is the weakest part of our game.  

Having said all that Martin had a hand in one goal and an assist in the other, he stays in the team..

It was interesting yesterday that Fulham chose to handle Martin a little differently to most teams. The centre half who was marking him stood about three yards off all game. I reckon it was a deliberate policy to avoid Martin winning free kicks. At times Martin looked a bit bemused that he wasn't involved in any physical tussles. Fulham pretty much let Martin have the ball, but then worked really hard to cut off his passing - generally by tightly marking Russell, Ince and Butterfield.

His lack of speed is becoming a problem. He hasn't had a poor season. Just a poor last 8 or so games. Just that little bit of extra speed would do him a world of good. Surely they must be able to get a little more out of him. What we are seeing surely isn't his top speed. Get him on a strict regime and make it happen. Ultimately he should be a little worried. I think we will bring in another forward/striker in Jan for him to compete with. 

48 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

It was interesting yesterday that Fulham chose to handle Martin a little differently to most teams. The centre half who was marking him stood about three yards off all game. I reckon it was a deliberate policy to avoid Martin winning free kicks. At times Martin looked a bit bemused that he wasn't involved in any physical tussles. Fulham pretty much let Martin have the ball, but then worked really hard to cut off his passing - generally by tightly marking Russell, Ince and Butterfield.

I noticed he didnt have his usual tough time. he only went to ground twice, and both of those were mid 2nd half on wards.

And even with this, the team didnt use him no where near enough. As much as I say martins form has dropped off, and he doesnt look like scoring any time soon, I still think the way we play now gives us more options, and is much easier to drop back into shape when we loose the ball, meaning we defend better, and we are harder to beat and are therefore a better team, than under Mcclaren when we had 70% posession didnt always so much with it, and were really poor defending the counter attack.

The last 3 Derby managers have used Martin as the key cog in Derby's attacking machine.   Perhaps they know something the keyboard doubters don't.

The way Martin uses his speed of thought to compensate for lack of pace shows the quality of the man as a footballer.   His consistency over the last 2.5 seasons is incredible given the way teams now set out to deal with him and stop him playing.

The only problem with Martin in this division is we haven't got another Martin...

Archived