Chris Martin has been poor this season

Bris Vegas

Or has he?

So many on here believe he has been either poor this season, or missing, but I think that's rather harsh. Anyway, I've done a bit of investigating to compare.

These are averages per game - first score is the 2014/15 season, the second is the 2015/16 season.

Goals - 0.5 - 0.4

Shots - 2.43 - 2.41

Key Passes 1.51 - 1.55

Aerial Duels Won 2.1 - 2.4

Touches - 52 - 47

Accurate Passes 27 - 25

Ball Recoveries 2.46 - 2.41

Dispossessed 1.8 - 1.9

Basically the difference between each season is so small it's actually quite amazing how consistent Martin has been. He scored more goals on average last season, only slightly, but is more creative this time around.

To say that Martin isn't being used as effectively is a total misconception. The stats illustrate how he is - with only five touches and two accurate passes difference between the two seasons.

His form hasn't dropped at all. Your expectations of him have become much higher, for some reason...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm at a loss as to all the anti-Martin posts on here, it's embarrassing, this guy is the best centre forward we've had in years, we're top of the league and a bunch on knubskulls are demanding Bent plays, it's true when a team starts doing well all the fairweather fans come out to have their say.

Where were you when we were ****?

It's that bloody captain's armband. As soon as it is put on someone's arm the fickle fans amongst us begin to see them in a different light and criticise their every move.

He's been on a bit of a scoring drought lately (minus the penalty), but he's still the joint 3rd highest in the league for combined goals and assists. We're top of the league, 1 loss in 18 and people think it's a smart idea to drop the captain. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

It's purely his lack of goals that have lead to people judging him so much more harshly. 

We've not been as prolific this season as in the previous two, but this has come with the benefit of a solid defensive foundation so I'm not complaining. Our build up play hasn't been quite as easy on the eye either and so this has probably also clouded people's judgement of Martin's role in the team. 

Basically we're less pretty and not as free-scoring, but considering that tactic has seen us miss out the last two seasons, I'm happy to try something else.

Perhaps some people would like games like that four all nonesense at Huddersfield...

As for Martin. He's fine and most of our best play still comes through him.

Too many 'experts' want to be able to tinker like on football manager. If he was as bad as some of those are saying our very able manager would have dropped him.

Would rather have Tamas Priskin and Nathan Tyson up front... 

Seriously though... We've never had it so good. 

I know you're not a big fan of Bent Bris... But I think having an ex England International of his calibre struggling to get in the side suggests to me Martin is doing something right... Martin is the best striker we've had since Mr Hulse... And he was much maligned and not appreciated here.

I'll accept that he may have been for recently, or possibly at least against Fulham (I wasnt there, I dont know). 

But to say he has been poor all season is madness. So many times he has been the entire focal point of the team, so many times he has dragged us from a draw or a defeat (Brighton as an example). Hes a vital part of the team and has been excellent for us this season.

He hasn't been playing too badly, although I have noticed his touch has been off lately and he's been misplacing a few lay offs... I put this down to him trying too hard to impress though due to a lack of goals as of late.

Once he scores again he'll probably go on a goalscoring run, absolutely no need to worry or drop him. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see him rested against Leeds, wouldn't be surprised to see an unchanged team either but Boro is such a massive game. Similar to the Ipswich situation, although Leeds are more dangerous than Bristol.

He always splits opinions between those who

A. Don't like him, think he falls over too easy and doesn't work hard enough

B. People who aren't blinkered, and can see just how much he brings even when not scoring.

Chest passes, lay offs, great feet and superb vision, these are a few of my favorite things!

28 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Wouldn't swap him for any other striker in the Championship.

He suits the team perfectly and now Butterfield is beginning to make runs into the space that Chris creates, like Bryson used to, he is only going to get better.

Im pretty certain the management team are asking him to move more and play slightly differently.

He is being asked to make more runs, under Mcclaren his job was just to stand there back to goal and control is and bring midfield runners into play. His off the ball running was very minimal then.The opening 15 mins against Brighton was a big example of this, coming straight after PC had said they had been working on attacking tactics.

I thought he was quite poor at Ipswich and again today, but yet he was still involved in the goal at ipswich and our second tofay.

But as I have said, he knew he was suited to us the last 2 seasons, this year we are asking him to play differently.

He's less of a focal point than he was last season. Doesn't make him less vital, but I think our tactic was very one dimensional last season in the sense that we were always looking for Martin. This season, I do t think that's the case, which sometimes makes him look like a bit of a passenger. 

He'll start scoring again, no doubt. 20+ goals 2 seasons in a row proves that

58 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

He always splits opinions between those who

A. Don't like him, think he falls over too easy and doesn't work hard enough

B. People who aren't blinkered, and can see just how much he brings even when not scoring.

Chest passes, lay offs, great feet and superb vision, these are a few of my favorite things!

Alternatively 

A. Those who aren't blinkered and realise he falls over too easy and doesn't work hard enough

B. Those that like him and whatever he does think that that he contributes even if he doesn't score

?

He's overrated by many and underrated by just as many. In my opinion he's a top centre forward at this level. And centre forwards are about more than just scoring goals. In a gung-ho, kamikaze attacking side, he'd score more but in a proper unit, regimented and disciplined, he's a key part of making that 'team' work. And he does do. I think that's the difference between Martin this season and last. 

I'm not sure he'd do much at Premier League level, but I'm hoping we get to find out. He just lacks pace, really badly and I reckon that would show up more up in the big league. But right now in this division you'd be spending a fortune finding better, if there is such a player. I don't think there is. 

I do like Bent though. I like all of our players. I'm weird like that. It's a top of the league thing...

Archived