Chris Martin has been poor this season

Bris Vegas

I find it laughable when people say he is too slow. Football isn't all about pace, if it was Theo Walcott and Aaron Lennon would be the best players in the world. What about Zlatan? Lewondowski? Even Muller isn't very quick. What about Sheringham? The premier leagues all time top scorer, Shearer, pure pace he was...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, rynny said:

I find it laughable when people say he is too slow. Football isn't all about pace, if it was Theo Walcott and Aaron Lennon would be the best players in the world. What about Zlatan? Lewondowski? Even Muller isn't very quick. What about Sheringham? The premier leagues all time top scorer, Shearer, pure pace he was...

FIFA players

There's a reason why Clement has made him Captain and always talks him up. Has fantastic football intelligence and vision, no other centre forward in this league can get the best out of the players around him than Chris Martin.

He's the reason why our midfield can score for fun or our wingers can get a good assist in the box.

14 hours ago, Cam the Ram said:

It's that bloody captain's armband. As soon as it is put on someone's arm the fickle fans amongst us begin to see them in a different light and criticise their every move.

He's been on a bit of a scoring drought lately (minus the penalty), but he's still the joint 3rd highest in the league for combined goals and assists. We're top of the league, 1 loss in 18 and people think it's a smart idea to drop the captain. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

This has been so disappointingly true in recent years. As I said earlier in the season, the anger follows the armband for some strange reason. 

4 hours ago, unclej said:

I think his lack of speed is a problem. For a striker, getting on the end of the kind of through balls, like the one he had yesterday, is imperative. His ability to draw a foul seems to have been lost too. I'd prefer someone quicker, and someone who doesn't tell me to F Off...

if you are a moaner you deserve to be told to f   off

Sausaging sausagewits. Maybe less effective as in scoring, but if an opposing team has to put a player in front of him, that DM cannot do anything about the 2 midfielders ( butterfield, Hendrick, Hughes, Bryson, Johnson etc) running past.

Very similar to the Ince situation. On the wing he has been seen as less effective this season, but in reality he is being doubled up on most of the time. Just a coincidence that Christie is getting forward so much more and therefore deemed to be playing better? 

This is the problem with the average fan. Cannot look at the bigger picture.

IMHO, I actually think Martin will do better in the PL as he will only be marked from behind. I also think the championship utilitises more DMs than the Prem. 

4 hours ago, Srg said:

Not really, I think it's a case of teams setting out to stop us playing through Martin. 

Game after game, you can see opponents putting someone infront and behind him to stop us using him as that pivot. 

I'm not sure I'd agree. You're telling me teams have only just started trying to stifle the service to Martin but didn't last season or the season before when it was obvious he was our danger man? 

You're doing opposition managers a disservice ha

The way we play now, means we use him a lot less, believe me. Everything used to go through him, Hughes Bryson and hendrick dont like playing a pass more than 10 yards away between them. We now have several players who like to switch it, play a long diagonal etc

23 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I'm not sure I'd agree. You're telling me teams have only just started trying to stifle the service to Martin but didn't last season or the season before when it was obvious he was our danger man? 

You're doing opposition managers a disservice ha

Not quite what I was saying, it's more of a case of successfully figuring it out. Teams tried, I'm sure, but never managed it

6 hours ago, unclej said:

I think his lack of speed is a problem. For a striker, getting on the end of the kind of through balls, like the one he had yesterday, is imperative. His ability to draw a foul seems to have been lost too. I'd prefer someone quicker, and someone who doesn't tell me to F Off...

I'd prefer us to have fans that get behind the players when they need us too and not to moan like ***** when we are under pressure or when a pass goes astray, to all of the other I would also gladly tell them to F Off...

The detractors are probably those that are glued to their phones or too busy looking at the time to see if they've got their 15 minute head start to get to the bar at half time or quick escape home to notice his deft passes to the players around him.

I swear some people only look up to see what is happening on the pitch when they hear the rest of the crowd get excited.

I don't understand.

It's generally accepted that last season our form fell apart because the system we played wasn't suitable without Chris Martin. This season we've found a way to play whereby he's arguably not quite as much of a focal point, and now people want him dropped because we aren't as reliant on him? 

That's without mentioning that even with a lean spell of scoring, he's still managed 9 in 23 games, on course for 18 in a full season. If that's not good enough for some people then I'm afraid we really have become spoiled.

6 hours ago, nottingram said:

I don't understand.

It's generally accepted that last season our form fell apart because the system we played wasn't suitable without Chris Martin. This season we've found a way to play whereby he's arguably not quite as much of a focal point, and now people want him dropped because we aren't as reliant on him? 

That's without mentioning that even with a lean spell of scoring, he's still managed 9 in 23 games, on course for 18 in a full season. If that's not good enough for some people then I'm afraid we really have become spoiled.

Yep. People ARE idiots.

7 hours ago, nottingram said:

I don't understand.

Good post. 

9 hours ago, nottingram said:

I don't understand.

Bang on! Where in Notts are you? You poor sod!

Archived