Depression, anxiety, stress and other related issues

Mostyn6

4 hours ago, BatRam said:

Hey man , hopefully you get what youre looking for. But in the worse case scenario another door will always open. Even if you have to get a rubbish job just to make the bills pay till you get something else. Theres always stuff at supermarkets and stuff ( i know its prob nothing like what youre doing but atleast its money in the bank).

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it 🙂 Yeah, I'm hoping my contract will either be renewed, or I'll get some postdoctoral funding or I'm applying for a research job at Kings College London. If none of these work out, then definitely I'll get a skate on looking at other things! 🙂  

2 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Thanks for the kind words I really appreciate them🙂 On the work, unfortunately my partner will definitely not sanction a move abroad. I'm applying for a job at Kings College London and am still waiting to hear on postdoctoral funding so trying not to panic too much 🙂 

Kings is where my lad did his postdoc - pharmacology. If I understand you correctly, you've completed your DPhil and are looking to remain in Academia? In any case, it's a highly prestigious seat of learning and if you can secure work there, I'm sure it'll make things much easier in the future, as you'll be even more employable. Hopefully you get the nod soon anyway, as I know how stressful the wind down period of any contract can be. 

41 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Kings is where my lad did his postdoc - pharmacology. If I understand you correctly, you've completed your DPhil and are looking to remain in Academia? In any case, it's a highly prestigious seat of learning and if you can secure work there, I'm sure it'll make things much easier in the future, as you'll be even more employable. Hopefully you get the nod soon anyway, as I know how stressful the wind down period of any contract can be. 

Oh wow, that's excellent for your lad massive congrats! Yeah, I finished my PhD in 2022 and currently a teaching fellow at the University of Leeds. It would be great to get to work there as it is very prestigious and the project looks right on what I'm interested in 🙂 Thanks, it is stressful but trying to manage it 🙂 

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, BatRam said:

Bit of an update , been off work for 3 weeks. Realised it was the problem and handed in my notice 

Good for you. I've had similar situations in the past, which made me despair and want to quit, but I was saved by good job offers coming from elsewhere. I hope you find another job soon that makes you happy rather than down.

17 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Good for you. I've had similar situations in the past, which made me despair and want to quit, but I was saved by good job offers coming from elsewhere. I hope you find another job soon that makes you happy rather than down.

going to go work for my dad so should be good 

Currently searching for a job as my contract has not been renewed at my university due to restructuring in the department. Any suggestions most welcome with my background being in academia but with the near on collapse of the sector am very open to suggestions outside of this domain. 

On 07/06/2024 at 15:19, Leeds Ram said:

Currently searching for a job as my contract has not been renewed at my university due to restructuring in the department. Any suggestions most welcome with my background being in academia but with the near on collapse of the sector am very open to suggestions outside of this domain. 

I’m sure you’ll have lots of transferable skills for private companies in your subject area. There may be work available at research funding bodies, knowing how research funding systems work would be an advantage. Consultancy? Tutoring? Sometimes unexpected opportunities come along. Good luck 🤞🏻 

On 09/06/2024 at 11:38, B4’s Sister said:

I’m sure you’ll have lots of transferable skills for private companies in your subject area. There may be work available at research funding bodies, knowing how research funding systems work would be an advantage. Consultancy? Tutoring? Sometimes unexpected opportunities come along. Good luck 🤞🏻 

Thanks 🙂 Yeah I do have plenty of transferrable skills. Think I'm just a bit sad at the likelihood of having to leave something that is my vocation really for an alternative career I really struggle to get as excited about. I've heard plenty of positive stories so am trying to keep focused on that though. 

4 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

Thanks 🙂 Yeah I do have plenty of transferrable skills. Think I'm just a bit sad at the likelihood of having to leave something that is my vocation really for an alternative career I really struggle to get as excited about. I've heard plenty of positive stories so am trying to keep focused on that though. 

It’s natural to feel like you do , the one thing I would advise though is to keep in the back of your mind if possible that so often in life things that happen that seem to be negative at the time turn out to be the best things that happen to us , try to stay positive and trust where life takes you , we make plans then life just laughs and takes us where we are meant to go 

4 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

I'm in a similar position albeit i've only another 10 years to think about.  Mate of mine became a tree surgeon after 20 years of being an accountant,  another mate of mine joined him who'd spent 8 years studying physics and was a technical engineer- he had a passion for climbing stuff and by his early 30's the aspirations he had in his chosen field hadn't overly come to fruition.  Three years later another mate who been a teacher for over 20years joined in to save his sanity .  They don't earn as much but they're all very happy to be doing something else and are all very fit.   It's an interesting conversation i'm sure when they discuss their backgrounds with their customers.  Regardless of whether your using your qualification or not it shows an employer you have an aptitude, can learn at a decent level and can apply yourself.  It will be the interpersonal skills they're looking at in interview and whether you can cope with Bob in accounts temper tantrums.  

On 07/06/2024 at 15:19, Leeds Ram said:

With a DPhil you're not going to struggle. NGOs, trade agencies, even the intelligence services are all viable options that could all be 'vocational' to a degree.

23 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

With a DPhil you're not going to struggle. NGOs, trade agencies, even the intelligence services are all viable options that could all be 'vocational' to a degree.

My Sons partner is a qualified Micro Biologist through Her term at University, Difficult to get a job in this field in Derby but ended up at a pest control company, Then moved to London...a couple of different jobs and then a move back to Derby, Got a job with Derbyshire Police as an analyst, Now uses her skills for the NCA...👍

There must be a huge pool of vacancies that @Leeds Ram can dip into, Even some that isn't on their radar 🤷‍♂️ 

19 hours ago, Ram-Alf said:

My Sons partner is a qualified Micro Biologist through Her term at University, Difficult to get a job in this field in Derby but ended up at a pest control company, Then moved to London...a couple of different jobs and then a move back to Derby, Got a job with Derbyshire Police as an analyst, Now uses her skills for the NCA...👍

There must be a huge pool of vacancies that @Leeds Ram can dip into, Even some that isn't on their radar 🤷‍♂️ 

Thanks Ram-Alf. That's really interesting to hear about your sons partner! Hopefully, something will come up 🙂