Depression, anxiety, stress and other related issues

Mostyn6

3 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Is that what its supposed to be? That makes more sense, I asked for a CBT course and have spent the last 7 weeks riding round on a motorbike, no wonder its doing me no good i dont even like them :)

It is Cognitive Behaviour Therapy really.

I nearly did the same post, but I’m too considerate and don’t like to upset people me.

17 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

Cheers for that @Paul71,made me cry reading it(big fairy that I am).

People always talk crap and think they are medical experts I really don’t discuss things with anyone other than on here or a few on twitter,which is strange.

And the very mention of an endoscopy makes me wince.

Not sure how I’d cope with all the stuff you’ve got going on.

And I certainly wouldn’t have coped with a fraction of the things Joel’s had done to him.

Anything that gets people talking about is good.

Endoscopies are awful, well in my view. You get the paper work and it says will be about 3 minutes tops.

So the first one was when they discovered the varices, so they whipped it out and im thinking great its done, but no they need another go and this time glue them all.

Its so hard not to gag, and they blow air in your stomach which is painful. The worst one i had when they did some glueing was aboiut 40 minutes, i was in so much pain by the end its unreal. Then you have to go 'recover' and because of all the air you cant stop farting, its involuntary lol.

Ive had maybe 8 or 9 now im not sure, thankfully havent had one for a while but expecting the call at some point.

8 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Endoscopies are awful, well in my view. You get the paper work and it says will be about 3 minutes tops.

So the first one was when they discovered the varices, so they whipped it out and im thinking great its done, but no they need another go and this time glue them all.

Its so hard not to gag, and they blow air in your stomach which is painful. The worst one i had when they did some glueing was aboiut 40 minutes, i was in so much pain by the end its unreal. Then you have to go 'recover' and because of all the air you cant stop farting, its involuntary lol.

Ive had maybe 8 or 9 now im not sure, thankfully havent had one for a while but expecting the call at some point.

Jesus f****** christ!That sounds nasty.

If it makes you feel any better,they have to drill Joel’s out and the bone round it.

22 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

Jesus f****** christ!That sounds nasty.

If it makes you feel any better,they have to drill Joel’s out and the bone round it.

Thats what i mean, so much worse than im having. There is a guy im in contact with who has a more advanced version of what i have and hes going through a stem cell transplant right now, hes having all sorts of problems so does make me stop and think.

24 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Thats what i mean, so much worse than im having. There is a guy im in contact with who has a more advanced version of what i have and hes going through a stem cell transplant right now, hes having all sorts of problems so does make me stop and think.

Well,keep us posted mate.

And if it’s any consolation I was having a crap day and I feel better just for coming on here and chewing the fat.

Cheers 

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

It was my GP yes, she didnt decide what was needed, she gave me a number which i called and then they said i should do group CBT.

Its my last session next week and they are going to discuss other options for those that feel they need more help. I think im going to let it run its course and take it from there.

I think the course is good but its really hard when we all have different issues.

as with other posts, I'm oblivious, perhaps even ignorant to what people go through just to try and live ordinary lives, I struggle to read @coneheadjohn's thread about Joel cos it puts me in a dark place, thinking how cruel life can be to people who deserve better, and I then feel stupid and down for being affected by it, not knowing the people involved.

The do-gooder in me is tempted to say something predictable in the hope you get some warmth out of it, but it's not soundbytes for the sake of it, my cliche would be something like, maybe you're halfway down the track right now, having cleared a load of hurdles, and just a few more and your life will be different and better. I sincerely hope this is true, and the treatments have purpose, but I also am realistic enough to know that not everybody reacts the same way to a kind of treatment. Whatever it is, I hope you find an effective treatment for you. 

23 minutes ago, Moist One said:

as with other posts, I'm oblivious, perhaps even ignorant to what people go through just to try and live ordinary lives, I struggle to read @coneheadjohn's thread about Joel cos it puts me in a dark place, thinking how cruel life can be to people who deserve better, and I then feel stupid and down for being affected by it, not knowing the people involved.

The do-gooder in me is tempted to say something predictable in the hope you get some warmth out of it, but it's not soundbytes for the sake of it, my cliche would be something like, maybe you're halfway down the track right now, having cleared a load of hurdles, and just a few more and your life will be different and better. I sincerely hope this is true, and the treatments have purpose, but I also am realistic enough to know that not everybody reacts the same way to a kind of treatment. Whatever it is, I hope you find an effective treatment for you. 

Thanks, I think I am on the right track, i have a strong family support group and also work are being good too.

42 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

Well,keep us posted mate.

And if it’s any consolation I was having a crap day and I feel better just for coming on here and chewing the fat.

Cheers 

it helps doesnt it...all the best to you, your family and Joel.

1 hour ago, Moist One said:

Say what you want,show’s that you care mate.

That means a lot to us and I appreciate the comments.

Thankyou.

f****** christ- sounds like a nightmare

Im a trainee pharmacist, so I speak to patients who have conditions but this sounds dreadful- fair play to you for fighting through it

Also teaches me not to worry/get obsessed with trivial stuff, e.g getting rejected, studies, work troubles ect

Just thought I would give an update on my therapy which is has now ended.

Can honestly say I feel worse, dont know if thats the course or just coincidence.

Following discussions with the they are referring me for an alternative therapy, still group, but its for people living with long term health conditions which sounds better and I may have been better on this one in the first place.

42 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Just thought I would give an update on my therapy which is has now ended.

Can honestly say I feel worse, dont know if thats the course or just coincidence.

Following discussions with the they are referring me for an alternative therapy, still group, but its for people living with long term health conditions which sounds better and I may have been better on this one in the first place.

Thanks for the update - glad they are listening to you and trying something different. Spoke to my friend who is a CBT professional and she said it sounded daft that you'd been referred to group CBT based on the issues you described. She said it was almost certainly just a financial decision as it's cheaper to run group sessions than 1:1. Frustrating when the outcomes are much less positive as a result. If your next group therapy is no better then she said to push them harder for 1:1 therapy. ( I know that's easy for me to say but nothing is more important than your health so we shouldn't be afraid to stand up to being fobbed off)

2 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Thanks for the update - glad they are listening to you and trying something different. Spoke to my friend who is a CBT professional and she said it sounded daft that you'd been referred to group CBT based on the issues you described. She said it was almost certainly just a financial decision as it's cheaper to run group sessions than 1:1. Frustrating when the outcomes are much less positive as a result. If your next group therapy is no better then she said to push them harder for 1:1 therapy. ( I know that's easy for me to say but nothing is more important than your health so we shouldn't be afraid to stand up to being fobbed off)

Thanks. I think i will see how it goes, it does seem to sound more suitable as while people wont have the same problem i guess the issues faced will be similar.

I need to sort something out as my anxiety is causing me problems now with sleep and affecting my work. I am finding have to work at home more and more due to fatigue and while its not really a problem I feel people dont have a good perception of me.

Had a proper attack of something last night, someone at work was doing part of a job last night and was supposed to text me when completed as I had a number of people primed to do the rest early this morning. I didnt get the text and tried contacting him but no response, it so hard to explain but it was like my heart was beating out my chest and through all my internal organs i just couldnt calm myself as i was worried if he hadnt done it then everyone else was going to be annoyed with me the followng morning (perception of me again), ended up sat up watching tv and getting no sleep whatsoever.  Then I got thinking has he done it on purpose to try and trip me up.

This morning he sent me a screenshot of the text and he had sent it to the wrong number, then im panicking thinking did i give the wrong number, but on checking i didnt.

Told my boss what happened and i was going back to bed after and he was ok, now ive slept on it i feel stupid for letting it get to me because ive got all the evidence to show i had made it clear what had to be done and an agreement from him it would, but i just couldnt think straight last night.

• 1 month later...
On 28/09/2017 at 11:38, Moist One said:

Now is the time of year my mood traditionally drops to a mild misery. Leaving the house when it’s dark and leaving work in the dark, combined with the thoughts of another lonely Christmas trying to avoid being a burden on people but wanting interaction with them all adds up for a lengthy spell of a face like a slapped arse. 

just wondering how people are getting on. I know from personal experience that this time of year is the time we tend to hide our feelings for fear of ruining the run-up-to, and Christmas itself. I personally always feel a burden, or if not that, even lost and lonely around this time of year, and no matter what people say, I will always feel that way. I am now aware that this cannot be helped, but am also aware that I am not alone in feeling this way, which of course makes coping with it a little bit easier.

I had a decent "festive" period last year, I did lots of things, spent a lot of time with people I care about and my younger brother became a father in early December, which gave me some perspective. A good friend died on Christmas Eve which seemed both devastating and merciful, as he was very ill for a long time. This will be the first Christmas knowing for a fact he won't be around, which is saddening, but I find myself smiling at the moment cos every thought I have of him is a funny one and thankfully I don't picture him dying in a hospital bed. I reckon Christmas Eve might be a bit more emotional though, but I am no longer scared or embarrassed about being emotional, well not in private or amongst closest friends anyway! 

Why the waffle? Well the message is quite simple. It's okay to feel like crap. It's okay to have feelings. It's not okay to feel that you shouldn't bother anyone. It's not okay to keep it all in. If this time of year affects you like it does me, or even in any way, and you may not have that self-awareness that I have that kind of neutralises the misery and sadness a little bit, then please, just say something to someone, even if it just to vent, it will amaze you how much it helps you cope.

I know it's still a month away from the day, but we are already in Christmas mode around me! Please be well and remember, It's okay to not be okay. x

Been a while since I last posted in here but have kept an eye on posts from others. Anyone who is familiar with my story will be glad to hear I'm back having another crack at my final year at uni and so far, so good (on the whole). Got a really interesting project i'm working on and even managed to make the uni cricket squad for the first time! That said there's still bad days, living by yourself can take it's toll on your mind at times and only yesterday things got on top of me and I just broke down. I'm in a much better place now luckily having had some good fortune this past 10 months as well as amazing support from my family and friends. I even took the plunge on World Mental Health day and spoke out on Facebook about it all and the response was overwhelming and it was something I never expected I would have been able to do since I rarely post much on there. Part of the reason I felt empowered was having been able to open up about it on here, so to anyone who has been a part of this thread, thanks! 

For anyone interested, the post is below:

Just under a year ago, I was diagnosed with having depression. It was something that had been going on for a lot longer than I was prepared to admit and it was only when things started to boil over that I decided to do something. At first, I was afraid to confront the issue, scared of what people might think. I kept my issues a secret for a while, suppressing my feelings in the hope that they would simply go away and that everything would blow over. It became increasingly difficult to hide what was going on beneath the surface and, having taking the decision to drop out of university, I slowly started to confront my fears and tell my friends. Even typing it now, it seems ridiculous that something as simple as talking about these things can be so difficult. Despite my initial fears, I can honestly say that speaking about and sharing something as important as suffering from depression has been utterly liberating. The amount of love and support I have received has been overwhelming and has made the struggle that little bit easier knowing there is always someone willing to listen.

It’s incredibly hard to put into words the effects that something like depression can do to you, not only mentally but also physically. I guess my greatest fear when trying to explain my depression, was the perceived lack of understanding that surrounds the issues of mental health, and attitudes towards it. Having taken the plunge and telling people, it has become increasingly obvious how prevalent an issue it really is, and that I was certainly not alone. I guess this is the point that I’m trying to make – depression can literally hit anyone, even the people you’d least expect it to and that there are far more people out there suffering in silence than you may realise. Like me, you may find it hard to convey your feelings to those around you, you feel like whatever you might say is pathetic but I assure you it is not. There is ALWAYS someone who is there to listen to you, and that you mean a whole lot to them.

My mum once told me - “A problem shared, is a problem halved.” I never really believed how true this would prove to be.

22366244_10214600855125842_2916754528535

18 hours ago, loughboroughRAM said:

Been a while since I last posted in here but have kept an eye on posts from others. Anyone who is familiar with my story will be glad to hear I'm back having another crack at my final year at uni and so far, so good (on the whole). Got a really interesting project i'm working on and even managed to make the uni cricket squad for the first time! That said there's still bad days, living by yourself can take it's toll on your mind at times and only yesterday things got on top of me and I just broke down. I'm in a much better place now luckily having had some good fortune this past 10 months as well as amazing support from my family and friends. I even took the plunge on World Mental Health day and spoke out on Facebook about it all and the response was overwhelming and it was something I never expected I would have been able to do since I rarely post much on there. Part of the reason I felt empowered was having been able to open up about it on here, so to anyone who has been a part of this thread, thanks! 

For anyone interested, the post is below:

Just under a year ago, I was diagnosed with having depression. It was something that had been going on for a lot longer than I was prepared to admit and it was only when things started to boil over that I decided to do something. At first, I was afraid to confront the issue, scared of what people might think. I kept my issues a secret for a while, suppressing my feelings in the hope that they would simply go away and that everything would blow over. It became increasingly difficult to hide what was going on beneath the surface and, having taking the decision to drop out of university, I slowly started to confront my fears and tell my friends. Even typing it now, it seems ridiculous that something as simple as talking about these things can be so difficult. Despite my initial fears, I can honestly say that speaking about and sharing something as important as suffering from depression has been utterly liberating. The amount of love and support I have received has been overwhelming and has made the struggle that little bit easier knowing there is always someone willing to listen.

It’s incredibly hard to put into words the effects that something like depression can do to you, not only mentally but also physically. I guess my greatest fear when trying to explain my depression, was the perceived lack of understanding that surrounds the issues of mental health, and attitudes towards it. Having taken the plunge and telling people, it has become increasingly obvious how prevalent an issue it really is, and that I was certainly not alone. I guess this is the point that I’m trying to make – depression can literally hit anyone, even the people you’d least expect it to and that there are far more people out there suffering in silence than you may realise. Like me, you may find it hard to convey your feelings to those around you, you feel like whatever you might say is pathetic but I assure you it is not. There is ALWAYS someone who is there to listen to you, and that you mean a whole lot to them.

My mum once told me - “A problem shared, is a problem halved.” I never really believed how true this would prove to be.

22366244_10214600855125842_2916754528535

Well done mate,loads of people here for you if you need us?

May have responded to this before but as having had depression issues (and for a time suicidal tendencies) now and in the past, it's a comfort to know there are similar sufferers out there and interesting to read other perspectives and stories.

There's no 'best way' to combat these anxieties, each individual will find their own way to get through the days and weeks ahead : but being involved with others (not talking on-line, but in person - face to face etc) and being part of group activities can help a deteriorating or unstable situation.

I see day by day people less fortunate than myself in ways that don't really require elaboration, and it offers a simple but effective perspective.     Bottom line, realize you're better off than a good many others and don't forget to count your blessings.

Life is hard, it's unfair and at times seems without mercy - for a time I was almost oblivious to it but got hit hard - very hard - when things started to fall apart.     A few years on, it's no pleasure park out there, but coping all the same.

• 4 weeks later...

Hope that everyone who is alone today or suffering that little bit more than usual due to the time of year is managing to get through OK.

I only joined up on here after reading for many years and convinced myself that it was because I wanted to contribute a bit more and had a lot of time on my hands. Whilst that is true if I’m honest it’s been the stories, support and camaraderie in this thread in particular that urged me to join up.

Struggling a fair bit myself at the moment but some of what I have read has given me some strength - I won’t go into too much detail but knowing your feelings are not just yours and that depression is very much a real thing does actually help.

Merry Christmas fellow Rams! 3 points tomorrow will certainly help!

16 hours ago, Codnor Ram said:

Hope that everyone who is alone today or suffering that little bit more than usual due to the time of year is managing to get through OK.

I only joined up on here after reading for many years and convinced myself that it was because I wanted to contribute a bit more and had a lot of time on my hands. Whilst that is true if I’m honest it’s been the stories, support and camaraderie in this thread in particular that urged me to join up.

Struggling a fair bit myself at the moment but some of what I have read has given me some strength - I won’t go into too much detail but knowing your feelings are not just yours and that depression is very much a real thing does actually help.

Merry Christmas fellow Rams! 3 points tomorrow will certainly help!

That’s great mate, you made me smile.

Share away if or whenever you’re ready.

Hope you’re having a good Christmas and all the best for the new year.