The prodigal son returns (to Burton) Ronnie book update.

-JW-

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally wish him and Burton well. Nigel wasn't perfect by a long way, but the club was in fairly dire straits, the yanks had been sold a pig in poke by Adam Pearson and buned fingers didn't want to lose any more fortunes. Nigel did keep us up, got rid of overpaid dross, at least the replacement dross was mostly cheep. A lot of hard, thankless work was done to steady and revive things. It's wrong to look at it as if we'd got McClaren in four years earlier Wed be here four years earlier. In the time Nigel was here we could have gone through four or five mangers and been thesameor worse at the end of it, but I think the chances of us being significantly better are modest. That said, there was bagger all joy in it bar matches against forest.  As a person, I think he deserves respect, as a manager he's a but limited with some good qualities. In particular if you need to build something stable on a tight budget over a few seasons. Just my tuppence worth.

28 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Imagine if you're a Burton player now, you've been exposed to some of the most cutting edge training techniques with JFH, and now you're back to running drills and headers & volleys with Nigel.  That's like us sacking PC and replacing him with, well Nigel...

Oh and Jill Galoone, what a stupid b*tch...

He'll be ridiculing his own players for trying to play football instead of "running/smashing it into the corners" in no time.

He's going to fook it up for them.

18 minutes ago, McMuffin said:

He'll be ridiculing his own players for trying to play football instead of "running/smashing it into the corners" in no time.

He's going to fook it up for them.

Don't get me wrong, Nigel did a hell of a lot to keep Derby County from doing a Man City/Southampton/Leeds/Florest and sliding down the leagues but he is a limited manager.  It wouldn't surprise me if El-Kwatie(sp) was demoted to impact sub in the coming weeks.  No room for fancy-dan passengers in a solid 4-4-2 formation...

22 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Sad to see such bitterness and fans wanting him to fail in my opinion.

I don't want him to fail, I just don't expect him to succeed. Although I haven't spewed out any bitterness.

I acknowledge he was a step up from scattergun Jewell and his inability to have ideas and stick with them. Just so happened that Nigel's ceiling was below where we want to go.

"If somebody asked me what one of the problems over the past 6 years has possibly been during my management period, then I would say possibly the owners, but I don't have that problem here!"

More digs. Let it go mate. Let it go.

It wouldn't surprise me to find out that Nige was reading this thread to see what Derby are saying about him. He seems a man obsessed. Still wish him the best though.

3 minutes ago, Tombo said:

"If somebody asked me what one of the problems over the past 6 years has possibly been during my management period, then I would say possibly the owners, but I don't have that problem here!"

It wouldn't surprise me to find out that Nige was reading this thread to see what Derby are saying about him. He seems a man obsessed. Still wish him the best though.

Asked a question and answered it honestly, no problem with that.

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Asked a question and answered it honestly, no problem with that.

He wasn't asked that question though. He was so desperate to make a dig that he wasn't going to wait for someone to ask, he decided to ask himself instead to shoehorn that comment in there.

"Q: Are you shocked by what the football club has done?"

A: No! Not at all. If you look at a lot of clubs, many of them don't run things as well as things are run here. It's a very well run club!  If somebody asked me what one of the problems over the past 6 years has possibly been during my management period, then I would say possibly the owners, but I don't have that problem here!

My fault I suppose, missed out the context of the answer. Point remains valid though wouldn't you agree?

Just now, Tombo said:

He wasn't asked that question though. He was so desperate to make a dig that he wasn't going to wait for someone to ask, he decided to ask himself instead to shoehorn that comment in there.

"Q: Are you shocked by what the football club has done?"

A: No! Not at all. If you look at a lot of clubs, many of them don't run things as well as things are run here. It's a very well run club!  If somebody asked me what one of the problems over the past 6 years has possibly been during my management period, then I would say possibly the owners, but I don't have that problem here!

My fault I suppose, missed out the context of the answer. Point remains valid though wouldn't you agree?

Quoted properly yes!

I think Nigel should be grateful that we gave him the chance to raise his profile at our club, just as we should be grateful that he steadied our ship.

I can understand that he probably feels bitter about the way it ended but that's football.

The only thing that I can hold against NC personally is that he was beginning to kill my enjoyment of watching football but in the grand scheme of things he did that while leaving us in a much better position than we he took over. A few slight tweaks to the foundations he laid and my love of watching DCFC was soon back.

1 hour ago, ramsbottom said:

Don't get me wrong, Nigel did a hell of a lot to keep Derby County from doing a Man City/Southampton/Leeds/Florest and sliding down the leagues but he is a limited manager.  It wouldn't surprise me if El-Kwatie(sp) was demoted to impact sub in the coming weeks.  No room for fancy-dan passengers in a solid 4-4-2 formation...

Didn't he regularly play Kris Commons?

7 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Didn't he regularly play Kris Commons?

Yes he did, and only got the best out of him when Johnny Metog came up with the 4-2-3-1 idea.  Saying that, it was sound management from Nigel to improve his performances with the promise of a bumper new contract...

1 hour ago, Tombo said:

Where was this? I would like to read the whole thing.

9 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Yes he did, and only got the best out of him when Johnny Metog came up with the 4-2-3-1 idea.  Saying that, it was sound management from Nigel to improve his performances with the promise of a bumper new contract...

Its all coming back to me now...the 'praise someone else for something good, and blame NC for everything bad' era we must be referring to...

16 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Its all coming back to me now...the 'praise someone else for something good, and blame NC for everything bad' era we must be referring to...

As well as those people who belong to the "Nigel is f**king awesome and can't be knocked off his ivory tower despite all logical evidence" brigade...

He did a good job, under trying circumstances, but at the end of the day he's a limited coach/manager who hasn't exactly set the world alight.  The difference in results before he was sacked and after he was sacked, with the same group of players kind of proves he wasn't the right man to take us forward.

22 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

As well as those people who belong to the "Nigel is f**king awesome and can't be knocked off his ivory tower despite all logical evidence" brigade...

He did a good job, under trying circumstances, but at the end of the day he's a limited coach/manager who hasn't exactly set the world alight.  The difference in results before he was sacked and after he was sacked, with the same group of players kind of proves he wasn't the right man to take us forward.

I am not in that brigade by the way.

I gave NC a lot of time to prove himself purely because I thought he deserved it given where he had taken us from and I did genuinely believe we were starting to play football that proved he could take us another step forward, in the end though I think I was proven wrong and his limitations were what was stopping us from going forward.

To say Metgod got the best out of Commons is just the sort of comment that narks me though. If it was Metgod that got the best out of Commons (you was inferring that it was him choosing the setup) then how come it was not also Metgod that was making us negative and defensive?

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Sad to see such bitterness and fans wanting him to fail in my opinion.

There is a difference between wanting and expecting.

i don't give a monkeys what he does with his career going forward, I'm in the expecting him to fail brigade, but this is expressing an opinion rather than any bitterness.

Archived