The prodigal son returns (to Burton) Ronnie book update.

-JW-

Nigel did have a tough job on his hands sorting out the mess that Davies/Jewell left behind. He brought in some great players on the little money he had. He certainly deserves credit for the job he did however he isn't above criticism.

The majority of Nigel's squad is what took us to Wembley, although under Nigel the football was extremely negative, compare that to McClaren who had the balls to go 4 up top to win games. 

Attendances were falling each season under Nigel, fact. It's no surprise that they started rising again after he left and the football became entertaining.

You have to remember and so does Nigel, football is entertainment and with the cost of tickets these days it can be expensive, if you're entertained why keep paying? 

Fans voted with their feet and the change was needed, although after the Forest game seemed incredibly harsh.

He just didn't have the balls to go for games, maybe he didn't know how, thought it was nuts or whatever but McClaren came in and whacked his huge nuts out thanks to Paul Simpson and showed us how entertaining football can be. 

Personally I wanted him to hold his hands up and say look, I've done as much as I can, I'm a celebrity get me out of here. 

Sheff Utd, as I've posted earlier I don't think it was any great achievement he pulled off up there. They wanted promotion, he had 2 chances and was sacked. They don't remember him too fondly so I'm guessing the football wasn't very entertaining again. Saying he took them from bottom of the table to the top is true in league positions but doesn't paint the full picture at all.

Now he's gone full circle back to where he came from. Burton are in an incredible position right now, JFH will have raised their expectations of what is possible and the Championship is a realistic dream. 

I wouldn't say he failed if he doesn't take them up this season or even next, Burton are massively over achieving right now and I don't think a single fan would have expected to see them top going into the Christmas fixtures.

If Nigel keeps them in League 1 for the next 2 to 5 years, establishes them as a solid League 1 club which I think he could this would be a huge achievement for a small club.

As I said earlier tho, expectations will have been raised, would Burton fans be happy with 10th-14th after seeing where Jimmy took them? Will they have the same patience they had back in the non league days.

I don't hate Nigel, there is no bitterness towards him at all. I won't go searching for their results as people do with McClaren. For some reason if you dare criticise him you're a hater, if you praise him you're a lover. I'm neither. 

I just don't like the football he plays.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Daveo said:

Nigel did have a tough job on his hands sorting out the mess that Davies/Jewell left behind. He brought in some great players on the little money he had. He certainly deserves credit for the job he did however he isn't above criticism.

The majority of Nigel's squad is what took us to Wembley, although under Nigel the football was extremely negative, compare that to McClaren who had the balls to go 4 up top to win games. 

Attendances were falling each season under Nigel, fact. It's no surprise that they started rising again after he left and the football became entertaining.

You have to remember and so does Nigel, football is entertainment and with the cost of tickets these days it can be expensive, if you're entertained why keep paying? 

Fans voted with their feet and the change was needed, although after the Forest game seemed incredibly harsh.

He just didn't have the balls to go for games, maybe he didn't know how, thought it was nuts or whatever but McClaren came in and whacked his huge nuts out thanks to Paul Simpson and showed us how entertaining football can be. 

Personally I wanted him to hold his hands up and say look, I've done as much as I can, I'm a celebrity get me out of here. 

Sheff Utd, as I've posted earlier I don't think it was any great achievement he pulled off up there. They wanted promotion, he had 2 chances and was sacked. They don't remember him too fondly so I'm guessing the football wasn't very entertaining again. Saying he took them from bottom of the table to the top is true in league positions but doesn't paint the full picture at all.

Now he's gone full circle back to where he came from. Burton are in an incredible position right now, JFH will have raised their expectations of what is possible and the Championship is a realistic dream. 

I wouldn't say he failed if he doesn't take them up this season or even next, Burton are massively over achieving right now and I don't think a single fan would have expected to see them top going into the Christmas fixtures.

If Nigel keeps them in League 1 for the next 2 to 5 years, establishes them as a solid League 1 club which I think he could this would be a huge achievement for a small club.

As I said earlier tho, expectations will have been raised, would Burton fans be happy with 10th-14th after seeing where Jimmy took them? Will they have the same patience they had back in the non league days.

I don't hate Nigel, there is no bitterness towards him at all. I won't go searching for their results as people do with McClaren. For some reason if you dare criticise him you're a hater, if you praise him you're a lover. I'm neither. 

I just don't like the football he plays.

Thankyou for the 2nd last paragraph... Perfection

Considering Burton's position, I'm pretty shocked they've gone for a manager like Clough.

He's good at building clubs and avoiding the drop, but hardly a great tactician or motivator to gain promotion.

If Burton are happy to be a League One club for years they've made a great choice. If they have any aspirations of going up to the Championship, they've made the wrong choice.

43 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Considering Burton's position, I'm pretty shocked they've gone for a manager like Clough.

He's good at building clubs and avoiding the drop, but hardly a great tactician or motivator to gain promotion.

If Burton are happy to be a League One club for years they've made a great choice. If they have any aspirations of going up to the Championship, they've made the wrong choice.

He won several promotions with Burton, which is why they have gone for him. He didn't take Derby up but he did advance us up the League , just very very slowly... Too slow for Sam Rush and some of the fans. as I say , I think it will be interesting now cos he should have the chance to prove himself which he never had the time at sheff u and came into a horrible mess when he joined us. I wish him well. Sure we are playing better football now than when nige was in charge. There's many reasons for that, not least the £20 million plus we've paid in transfer fees for new players since he left. Burton have not often made bad choices with their managers, Rowett, JFH Have done well as did Clough. 

24 minutes ago, bcnram said:

Be interesting if we draw Burton in the cup. 

That might prove difficult... Aren't they out this season?

8 hours ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Clueless Nigel will help them to slide down. Clueless clueless clueless 

Wow....just wow.... have you any idea at all where we would be without this Clueless person you slag off? some people.

Good luck to him, can't wait to see him back in the Championship next season beating Forest again.

5 hours ago, RamLad1884 said:

But on another note, can see barker going to burton as player/coach maybe? 

I did wonder if Barker might be brushing the dust off his shin pads!

Coach would be a good shout - he'd be a better punt than bringing in the clueless mob Clough had under him at Derby.  

I wonder if Saul Deeney will be looking for a role?!

6 hours ago, Daveo said:

Just want to say that Sheff Utd were in a false position when Nigel took over, same as Chelsea in the Premier League now if you like. He took over in October, 3 months into the season after they finished in the play offs, in fact they finished in the play offs the season before that as well.

Wasnt like he transformed them from a relegation battlers into promotion contenders.

Chelsea still in that "false position" ?? I think not.

1 minute ago, MuespachRam said:

Chelsea still in that "false position" ?? I think not.

Of course they are. Remove Mourinho put anyone in charge there even Bris and watch them fly up the table. 

Hazard, Costa, Fabregas, Pedro....you think they are players that would be in a relegation battle? I think not.

13 minutes ago, Daveo said:

Of course they are. Remove Mourinho put anyone in charge there even Bris and watch them fly up the table. 

Hazard, Costa, Fabregas, Pedro....you think they are players that would be in a relegation battle? I think not.

The league doesn't lie Daveo, you know that...they are where they are because they have been poor so far this season....for goodness sake, they just lost to Bournemouth at home....long may their poor run continue.

Just now, MuespachRam said:

The league doesn't lie Daveo, you know that...they are where they are because they have been poor so far this season....for goodness sake, they just lost to Bournemouth at home....long may their poor run continue.

They are out of form as he's lost it with the Eva thing. Say Mourinho leaves, Guardiola comes in and takes them to 7th, would that be a great achievement? Not at all as they should be up there. 

It's a false position, everyone that follows football apart from you will know Chelsea shouldn't be in 14th position 

1 minute ago, Daveo said:

They are out of form as he's lost it with the Eva thing. Say Mourinho leaves, Guardiola comes in and takes them to 7th, would that be a great achievement? Not at all as they should be up there. 

It's a false position, everyone that follows football apart from you will know Chelsea shouldn't be in 14th position 

They are where they are because that i how good they have been so far this season.....there is no denying that....just like there is no denying that they have a wonderful squad, but they are where they are......at the moment Leicester are the best team in the league, Chelsea are the 14th best....stats are stats but this is facts.

6 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

They are where they are because that i how good they have been so far this season.....there is no denying that....just like there is no denying that they have a wonderful squad, but they are where they are......at the moment Leicester are the best team in the league, Chelsea are the 14th best....stats are stats but this is facts.

Right but if Guardiola came in now and they finished 7th then next season finished 5th and left. With the squad and all the resources they have would you say he had done a great job there?

8 minutes ago, Daveo said:

Right but if Guardiola came in now and they finished 7th then next season finished 5th and left. With the squad and all the resources they have would you say he had done a great job there?

Surely you're not comparing Chelsea to Sheffield United Daveo?

Tell me when was the last time Sheffield United were successful?

Even Rynny (who I like) quoted that they had the best budget in league one, an easy line to throw out but they actually had the fourth biggest budget in league one (the transfer fees he generated himself)

5 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

Surely you're not comparing Chelsea to Sheffield United Daveo?

Tell me when was the last time Sheffield United were successful?

Even Rynny (who I like) quoted that they had the best budget in league one, an easy line to throw out but they actually had the fourth biggest budget in league one (the transfer fees he generated himself)

Comparing them loosely.

You expect Chelsea to be in the top 5, you would expect Sheffield United to be in the top 5 in League 1.

The squads both clubs have/had were more than capable of achieving those positions. 

I'm not saying Clough did a bad job at Sheff Utd but he didn't go in there and transform them from relegation candidates to promotion candidates like it's being made out.

As I said earlier they finished in the play offs for the last 2 seasons previous. He inherited a squad that were playing badly that's all.

Ultimately the the target was promotion which he failed. Adkins will go the same if they fail to go up this season.

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I don't see why Nigel creates so much passion from Derby fans. Nigel did his best for Burton, did his best for us, did his best for Sheffield Utd & will do his best for Burton again. Strong feelings because of his Dad?  Don't get it personally. What am I missing?

Maybe... But also as a Rams fan, any manager who has made a positive contribution to this club, whether it's Clough senior, Dave mAckay, Jim smith, Arthur cox or even Clough junior deserves better than to,be called clueless. Some managers took us backwards like Tommy doc, Paul jewell, John Gregory etc. some did nothing good like Phil brown, Colin Todd. but just a few moved us forward , and Nigel was one of those even if it was only a bit. 

Archived