The prodigal son returns (to Burton) Ronnie book update.

-JW-

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, curtains said:

You know what they say.  

Never go back. 

Nigel never got the memo :thumbsup:

But on another note, can see barker going to burton as player/coach maybe? Would struggle in the championship but would be a decent bit of experience down at Burton 

Just now, RamLad1884 said:

Nigel never got the memo :thumbsup:

But on another note, can see barker going to burton as player/coach maybe? Would struggle in the championship but would be a decent bit of experience down at Burton 

All the best to Nigel if he goes back to Burton I suppose it makes sense but wouldn't he put himself under a lot of pressure.

2 minutes ago, curtains said:

All the best to Nigel if he goes back to Burton I suppose it makes sense but wouldn't he put himself under a lot of pressure.

No pressure... That's why he's gone back to Burton

24 minutes ago, Daveo said:

Just want to say that Sheff Utd were in a false position when Nigel took over, same as Chelsea in the Premier League now if you like. He took over in October, 3 months into the season after they finished in the play offs, in fact they finished in the play offs the season before that as well.

Wasnt like he transformed them from a relegation battlers into promotion contenders.

What a convenient way of looking at the situation.

I also love all the posters claiming how easy it should be to get United out of league 1, you know because every other manager who has tried has achieved it without any problems...

1 hour ago, PistoldPete2 said:

In answer to your question, I am showing on a public forum my appreciation of his Dads efforts, which maybe in some small way his son might also in turn appreciate. 

He he had far less money at Derby than either Mac or clem. Sure he didn't get us promoted, but neither did Mac or clem... Yet. Maybe we neednt to change things to move forward, no use debating that now. But he did agood job while he was here. 

sheff u were in the bottom of league one when he took over... Whatever money he was given he took them to play offs and cup glory in just 18 months. Not given enough time there for sure.

I would rather compare his "achievements" to Phil Brown, Nigel Adkins, Owen Coyle and Ian Holloway (twice).

The reason? They got teams up whilst Clough was here and can argue they had similar or lower budgets and expectations to play with...

I used to believe and buy that he did a good job under the circumstances... I think I've deluded myself with that thought...

For all the decent buys he made.... He had the chance to get us going that 2013/14 season... 

Maybe be up for argument but if he was still here we would be still taking one step forward and two back...

If he was that good he should be walking into Fulham and Reading jobs.... So I don't agree he's under pressure at Burton at all... Infact I think he's gone for the easy and safe option... Perfectly adequate

2 minutes ago, Anon said:

What a convenient way of looking at the situation.

I also love all the posters claiming how easy it should be to get United out of league 1, you know because every other manager who has tried has achieved it without any problems...

Not really, just what happened, his first season didn't even make the play offs. He went in just 3 months into the season, plenty of time to turn it around like McClaren did at Derby. 

People talk like he went in there and dragged them up from relegation battle to the top half of the table. Whilst the league positions back that up, if you look at the clubs previous seasons and squad you can see it's not the great achievement it's made out to be.

1 hour ago, top 6 finish said:

When he took over Derby we were 4th from bottom,or thereabouts,when he was sacked

we were10th from bottom and dropping faster than a whores drawers. That was after 4 years.

I think League 1 is too high a level for him.I can't believe Burton haven't shown more ambition,

like they did with Rowett and JFH.

10th from bottom and dropping fast? Grow up and open your eyes. The season had barely started when he was sacked.

42 minutes ago, Daveo said:

Just want to say that Sheff Utd were in a false position when Nigel took over, same as Chelsea in the Premier League now if you like. He took over in October, 3 months into the season after they finished in the play offs, in fact they finished in the play offs the season before that as well.

Wasnt like he transformed them from a relegation battlers into promotion contenders.

Define 'false position'.

Are Burton in a 'false position' now? Are Derby?

1 minute ago, Daveo said:

A club that are badly out of form like Chelsea sat in 14th having won the league the season before.

Well, we were so badly out of form over the last three months of last season, consequently by your own logic, we must be in a false position this season.

Good Luck to him, Burton appear to be a very well run club that work within their means and think Nigel is a good fit. Dont care what people thought of his time at derby, his job to stablise and develop us worked. He had laid the foundations for what we are seeing today.

I for one, whilst think he may have took us as far as possible, do feel grateful to him for the job he did on limited funds - and i really hope we see burton in the championship next season.

Archived