The prodigal son returns (to Burton) Ronnie book update.

-JW-

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I THOUGHT, just maybe, by today my anger at Nigel Clough's sacking may have dissipated somewhat.

It hasn't. At around 8pm last Saturday I quit as a Rams fan.

It's a purely symbolic gesture but some of my more sensitive colleagues noted I had removed the DCFC sticker from the back of my car. They tiptoed round me on Monday, even the Forest fan.

Didn't the powers that be at the club have the faintest inkling that it's tough enough going to work when you're on the receiving end of a defeat by your local rivals? Giving them even more to gloat about increases our pain to unbearable levels.

But that's not why I am angry. My innate sense of justice and fair play has been mortally wounded by the treatment meted out to Nigel Clough.

I have supported Derby all my life. From a kid of eight when I was utterly intoxicated by my first trip to the Baseball Ground.

Then along came Nigel. I was so proud of the fact Derby had one of the longest serving managers in the league at the helm. It made us different from the rest. Better than the rest.

Most clubs were hooked on the hapless manager-in, manager-out merry-go-round. Gaffers come and go and it's back to square one.

But the Rams were building gradually, with little in the way of cash but lots in the way of intelligent thought and dedication.

The academy was blossoming and superb players were emerging like Mark O'Brien, Mason Bennett and the remarkable Will Hughes. I thank Nigel Clough for this.

The "Clough out" brigade may have been vocal. What many failed to realise – until this week – was that they were in the minority. Most Rams fans wanted Clough in. In my opinion, he worked miracles. He had to slash wages, move on poor signings and find new players on a budget tighter than Superman's pants.

But he was stoical, determined and loyal to the last. Never-say-die, talented but humble people earn my deepest respect. I wish there were more of them.

Fortunately, the city of Derby has one in the dependable Mr Clough, a great advert for the county and what down-to-earth Derbyshire folk are about. He understands more than anybody what football means to this city. He is one of us.

His modesty was admirable, too. When the Rams enjoyed a spectacular win Nigel often dispatched one of his lieutenants to do the post-match interviews. But when the team lost he always took the flak. He was the polar opposite of some of the egos in the game. I am sure there were times when he felt like walking away. But he cared too much.

What he has discovered this week is that thousands of people have deep respect for him, value everything he did and are grateful.

I, for one, want to say a huge thank-you.

Nigel delivered stability, long-term vision, good football and found players with stupendous attitudes.

I hope Cloughie goes on to great things. People like him deserve all the success in the world.

I've bought a new sticker for my car, by the way. It says "Up the Brewers".

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Jill-Gallone-Goodbye-Rams-s-Brewers/story-19880641-detail/story.html#ixzz3tRgTS400

5 minutes ago, Daveo said:

I THOUGHT, just maybe, by today my anger at Nigel Clough's sacking may have dissipated somewhat.

It hasn't. At around 8pm last Saturday I quit as a Rams fan.

It's a purely symbolic gesture but some of my more sensitive colleagues noted I had removed the DCFC sticker from the back of my car. They tiptoed round me on Monday, even the Forest fan.

Didn't the powers that be at the club have the faintest inkling that it's tough enough going to work when you're on the receiving end of a defeat by your local rivals? Giving them even more to gloat about increases our pain to unbearable levels.

But that's not why I am angry. My innate sense of justice and fair play has been mortally wounded by the treatment meted out to Nigel Clough.

I have supported Derby all my life. From a kid of eight when I was utterly intoxicated by my first trip to the Baseball Ground.

Then along came Nigel. I was so proud of the fact Derby had one of the longest serving managers in the league at the helm. It made us different from the rest. Better than the rest.

Most clubs were hooked on the hapless manager-in, manager-out merry-go-round. Gaffers come and go and it's back to square one.

But the Rams were building gradually, with little in the way of cash but lots in the way of intelligent thought and dedication.

The academy was blossoming and superb players were emerging like Mark O'Brien, Mason Bennett and the remarkable Will Hughes. I thank Nigel Clough for this.

The "Clough out" brigade may have been vocal. What many failed to realise – until this week – was that they were in the minority. Most Rams fans wanted Clough in. In my opinion, he worked miracles. He had to slash wages, move on poor signings and find new players on a budget tighter than Superman's pants.

But he was stoical, determined and loyal to the last. Never-say-die, talented but humble people earn my deepest respect. I wish there were more of them.

Fortunately, the city of Derby has one in the dependable Mr Clough, a great advert for the county and what down-to-earth Derbyshire folk are about. He understands more than anybody what football means to this city. He is one of us.

His modesty was admirable, too. When the Rams enjoyed a spectacular win Nigel often dispatched one of his lieutenants to do the post-match interviews. But when the team lost he always took the flak. He was the polar opposite of some of the egos in the game. I am sure there were times when he felt like walking away. But he cared too much.

What he has discovered this week is that thousands of people have deep respect for him, value everything he did and are grateful.

I, for one, want to say a huge thank-you.

Nigel delivered stability, long-term vision, good football and found players with stupendous attitudes.

I hope Cloughie goes on to great things. People like him deserve all the success in the world.

I've bought a new sticker for my car, by the way. It says "Up the Brewers".

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Jill-Gallone-Goodbye-Rams-s-Brewers/story-19880641-detail/story.html#ixzz3tRgTS400

That is stupid excuse ever Jill. 

3 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Clueless Nigel will help them to slide down. Clueless clueless clueless 

I think Nigel Clough is very very far from clueless and he certainly didn't take Burton to slide down , or Derby or sheffield, United for that matter. All clubs he has managed he left in better shape than when he took over. burton especially. 

I am very glad that Cloughies set to get back into management where  he belongs. He is not non-League Nigel, but his strength was making the most out of very little money which he did very well. maybe now we have more money we don't need those strengths so much but we should be very grateful for what he did when he was here. As well of course as being eternally grateful for what his Dad did for us, which was and always will be the most special of times for any Rams fan.

11 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

I think Nigel Clough is very very far from clueless and he certainly didn't take Burton to slide down , or Derby or sheffield, United for that matter. All clubs he has managed he left in better shape than when he took over. burton especially. 

I am very glad that Cloughies set to get back into management where  he belongs. He is not non-League Nigel, but his strength was making the most out of very little money which he did very well. maybe now we have more money we don't need those strengths so much but we should be very grateful for what he did when he was here. As well of course as being eternally grateful for what his Dad did for us, which was and always will be the most special of times for any Rams fan.

What has that got to do with Nigel?

Whilst I agree with your premise I am not entirely convinced of your conclusion, he may of left all 3 clubs in a better shape but did not achieve the clubs true potential with the tools he was afforded (at Derby and Sheff Utd) Whilst he improved Sheffield United's position in the table he had the biggest budget in the league and failed to secure promotion.

1 hour ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Not me. Wasn't alive. Paul Clements Barmy Army!

36 minutes ago, rynny said:

What has that got to do with Nigel?

Whilst I agree with your premise I am not entirely convinced of your conclusion, he may of left all 3 clubs in a better shape but did not achieve the clubs true potential with the tools he was afforded (at Derby and Sheff Utd) Whilst he improved Sheffield United's position in the table he had the biggest budget in the league and failed to secure promotion.

In answer to your question, I am showing on a public forum my appreciation of his Dads efforts, which maybe in some small way his son might also in turn appreciate. 

He he had far less money at Derby than either Mac or clem. Sure he didn't get us promoted, but neither did Mac or clem... Yet. Maybe we neednt to change things to move forward, no use debating that now. But he did agood job while he was here. 

sheff u were in the bottom of league one when he took over... Whatever money he was given he took them to play offs and cup glory in just 18 months. Not given enough time there for sure.

12 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

In answer to your question, I am showing on a public forum my appreciation of his Dads efforts, which maybe in some small way his son might also in turn appreciate. 

He he had far less money at Derby than either Mac or clem. Sure he didn't get us promoted, but neither did Mac or clem... Yet. Maybe we neednt to change things to move forward, no use debating that now. But he did agood job while he was here. 

sheff u were in the bottom of league one when he took over... Whatever money he was given he took them to play offs and cup glory in just 18 months. Not given enough time there for sure.

So you mention Brian on the off chance that upon taking over at Burton, Nigel read what the Derby fans think to his appointment? Each to their I guess :huh:

He did not have far less than Mac, in general outlay, whilst wages may have increased slightly, Mac's first season the players in were Wisdom (loan), Dawkins (loan then 300k ish) Thorne (loan) Bamford (loan) Whitbred (loan extended) Michael Keane (loan) K. Cisse (free) L. Naylor (free). those additions took us from mid table to 3rd and 5 of them played less than 15 games, 3 played under 10 games. Not exactly what people like to remember. He started of doing a good job but reached his limit with us and should at the very latest have gone in the summer before he did.

Of course PC hasn't got us promoted, how can he after less than 20 games? Just ridiculous to even mention it, even with the 'yet'.

What play off and cup glory did he achieve? Whilst he did something at Sheff Utd that he never did here and go on a cup run if you were to ask Sheff Utd fans whether they were happy with his time in charge you would get a very similar reaction to that of Derby fans, a mix bag, some will see the improvements and concentrate on those, some will look at the fact that they never really played decent football, some will look at the constant round pegs in square holes, some will look at the potential the team had and be disappointed that more was not achieved.

When he took over Derby we were 4th from bottom,or thereabouts,when he was sacked

we were10th from bottom and dropping faster than a whores drawers. That was after 4 years.

I think League 1 is too high a level for him.I can't believe Burton haven't shown more ambition,

like they did with Rowett and JFH.

Just want to say that Sheff Utd were in a false position when Nigel took over, same as Chelsea in the Premier League now if you like. He took over in October, 3 months into the season after they finished in the play offs, in fact they finished in the play offs the season before that as well.

Wasnt like he transformed them from a relegation battlers into promotion contenders.

Archived