The prodigal son returns (to Burton) Ronnie book update.

-JW-

44 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I am not in that brigade by the way.

I gave NC a lot of time to prove himself purely because I thought he deserved it given where he had taken us from and I did genuinely believe we were starting to play football that proved he could take us another step forward, in the end though I think I was proven wrong and his limitations were what was stopping us from going forward.

To say Metgod got the best out of Commons is just the sort of comment that narks me though. If it was Metgod that got the best out of Commons (you was inferring that it was him choosing the setup) then how come it was not also Metgod that was making us negative and defensive?

and if Metgod was the genius they say....who employed Metgod??

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I am not in that brigade by the way.

I gave NC a lot of time to prove himself purely because I thought he deserved it given where he had taken us from and I did genuinely believe we were starting to play football that proved he could take us another step forward, in the end though I think I was proven wrong and his limitations were what was stopping us from going forward.

To say Metgod got the best out of Commons is just the sort of comment that narks me though. If it was Metgod that got the best out of Commons (you was inferring that it was him choosing the setup) then how come it was not also Metgod that was making us negative and defensive?

Metog suggested the system, but Nigel chose to play him off Hulse. So credit where credits due.

Im the same as you, I was desperate for Nigel to do well, I really was but I knew he wasn't gonna do it when we drew 1-1 against Blackburn, the first game of his last season...

16 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Metog suggested the system, but Nigel chose to play him off Hulse. So credit where credits due.

Im the same as you, I was desperate for Nigel to do well, I really was but I knew he wasn't gonna do it when we drew 1-1 against Blackburn, the first game of his last season...

Think you will find it was David Lowe that played Commons behind Hulse in the game against Utd in the cup.

6 hours ago, top 6 finish said:

Thank you for that and by your normal standards almost coherent and

mercifully brief. If you can't see the massive improvement at this club

since Mr.Clough was awarded the honour of the Spanish archer (El bow),

then there really is no hope for you.

where did I say there wasn't an improvement? Merely pointed out you were wrong stating we were dropping fast when Clough got sacked.

again I say grow up an open your eyes, this time to actually read what's written and not put words into my posts.

2 hours ago, rynny said:

Where was this? I would like to read the whole thing.

http://www.burtonalbionfc.co.uk/news/article/conference-live-nigel-clough-unveiled-2838661.aspx?utm_content=bufferccb68&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

I'll clarify my position though and say I'm not anti-Clough. He did a lot of good for us. Couldn't take us to the next level but did a lot of good for us. I was sort of glad when he left though, because the football was boring as hell and it was like Noah stepping out of the ark and discovering the clouds had parted and the rain had stopped. I was glad it was over. Thanks for the long, grey, dull memories of crap football, but we all know that wasn't the important contribution. He took a team that was actually in my opinion WORSE than the team dubbed 'the worst in Premier League history'. The team he inherited wouldn't have even reached double figures in the Premier League. He took that club and transformed us into something that looked almost stable, solid and secure. Not the wobbly mess he inherited which honestly probably would have put us into League One if o Paul had been left to his devices.

Just pointless him still having digs I think. Bit childish.

11 hours ago, davenportram said:

where did I say there wasn't an improvement? Merely pointed out you were wrong stating we were dropping fast when Clough got sacked.

again I say grow up an open your eyes, this time to actually read what's written and not put words into my posts.

I am grown-up and my eyes are wide open,and we were dropping down

the league so they sacked him to give the new manager time to turn things

around,which he did.Anyway had enough of him now,pity he's back in the

news again.

Nigel faces a very different challenge at burton to the last time he was there.

i thought it was a negative message to say that the burton players are over achieving and that the new management will challenge them to continue over-achieving.

perhaps it would have been better to say that the team is top on merit and build them up.

it seems to already prepare the way for a dip in the second half of the season.

he's in the same position that roy mac was when he went to burton. Whilst i'm not expecting things to stall as much as they did for Roy, i am expecting play offs at best.

Also said that if they finish mid table people on the outside will see it as a failure yet at the start of the season they would have snapped your hands off.

Totally agree with him and finishing mid table wouldn't be a failure by any stretch, would be a huge achievement for the club.

Shouldn't a moving target, set the targets in the summer and don't change them regardless of what happens. 

I don't think it would be something they don't realise already. Same with Leicester, just shows where you can get to with team spirit week in week out, they all know Leicester being top is absolutely nuts.

If you had put a quid on Leicester and Burton topping their leagues by Christmas the odds would be ridiculous. 

I'm sure Nigel is trying to take the pressure off, nobody expects us to be here lads so just go out and enjoy it.

Look at Derby under McClaren in his first season, compare that to the second season, the expectation and pressure from fans was mental. Players were getting abuse on social media.

8 minutes ago, Ovis aries said:

Still a ridiculously long thread for a trivial appointment at a minor league club.

Probably so long because people comment on it they don't want to read it. It's a bit like turning the news on and then moaning because they are discussing current affairs.

Also the trivial minor league club happens to be about 5 miles away from my house, pretty much the same distance as The iPro

Archived