The prodigal son returns (to Burton) Ronnie book update.

-JW-

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, eddie said:

Nobody in the history of the world has ever changed their opinion of Nigel Clough.

I did. I thought he could go on to be England manager when he first arrived and was all fresh and attacking. That soon changed and so did my predictions for his future. 

He needs a club job where the ambition is purely to survive, as i think he's the kind of manager that will win as many as lose, which is usually enough to keep you up.  

Hope he does well. It's a reputation risk with Burton being top at the moment. I doubt their Chairman expected automatic promotion at the start of the season and doubt he does now. They have lost 5 already but don't draw much!

I just hope he enjoys it and takes most of the fans along with him. A current fan base of less than 3,000 might take some of the pressure off. It probably brings about an element of realism from "on high" about their prospects too, not that we should entertain such thoughts on here:cool:

6 minutes ago, BOB BIGGS said:

Hope he does well. It's a reputation risk with Burton being top at the moment. I doubt their Chairman expected automatic promotion at the start of the season and doubt he does now. They have lost 5 already but don't draw much!

I just hope he enjoys it and takes most of the fans along with him. A current fan base of less than 3,000 might take some of the pressure off. It probably brings about an element of realism from "on high" about their prospects too, not that we should entertain such thoughts on here:cool:

No doubt he will soon fix that, turning wins into draws.

:ph34r:

Personally I don't give a toss about Burton,never been interested.I don't

live that side of Derby,I have supported Borrowash Vics occasionally,but

that's all.

Burton are welcome to him,he's  loser,failed every club he's managed.We

should have dumped him  after a few months,we have never looked back

since we sacked him.The 2 managers at Burton have done more for them

in a short time than Clough did in 10 years,if we hadn't sacked him we would

have been relegated.

4 minutes ago, top 6 finish said:

that's all.

have been relegated.

Just sit back and see what happens to the current league leaders! 

25 minutes ago, top 6 finish said:

that's all.

have been relegated.

I have a severe case of Poe's law with this comment.

On ‎05‎/‎12‎/‎2015‎ ‎15‎:‎06‎:‎52, davenportram said:

10th from bottom and dropping fast? Grow up and open your eyes. The season had barely started when he was sacked.

Thank you for that and by your normal standards almost coherent and

mercifully brief. If you can't see the massive improvement at this club

since Mr.Clough was awarded the honour of the Spanish archer (El bow),

then there really is no hope for you.

Had we sorted ourselves out from set-pieces and started Eustace as often as we did under McClaren and we'd have made the play-offs that year anyway. 

We tore apart the weaker sides and the top sides respected us - but through our lack of a holding midfielder and frailties from set-pieces they would easily beat us.  Take the Burnley and Leicester games - we bossed Leicester, but they scored from a set piece that was cleared off the line, hit Grant in the back and went in. The Burnley game I seem to remember Shackell scoring from a corner and their other two coming on the break, with nobody their to stop the counter - I seem to remember Ings running half the length of the pitch, straight down the middle unopposed.

To say we were on a downward spiral under him is ridiculous: we were only two tweaks away from competing for a play-off spot. McClaren's hiring was correct however, as he took us up to another level and had us competing for the automatics.

10 minutes ago, cannable said:

Had we sorted ourselves out from set-pieces and started Eustace as often as we did under McClaren and we'd have made the play-offs that year anyway. 

We tore apart the weaker sides and the top sides respected us - but through our lack of a holding midfielder and frailties from set-pieces they would easily beat us.  Take the Burnley and Leicester games - we bossed Leicester, but they scored from a set piece that was cleared off the line, hit Grant in the back and went in. The Burnley game I seem to remember Shackell scoring from a corner and their other two coming on the break, with nobody their to stop the counter - I seem to remember Ings running half the length of the pitch, straight down the middle unopposed.

To say we were on a downward spiral under him is ridiculous: we were only two tweaks away from competing for a play-off spot. McClaren's hiring was correct however, as he took us up to another level and had us competing for the automatics.

Which year are you talking about?

4 hours ago, rynny said:

No doubt he will soon fix that, turning wins into draws.

:ph34r:

I see where you're coming from. He'll probably look to turn some of the defeats into draws too so some balance achieved. The fact that Fleetwood were able to put 4 past them not too long ago shows that they're fragile.

2 minutes ago, BOB BIGGS said:

I see where you're coming from. He'll probably look to turn some of the defeats into draws too so some balance achieved. The fact that Fleetwood were able to put 4 past them not too long ago shows that they're fragile.

I did say it in jest, although with a hint of honest opinion :whistle:

Archived