Hull City v Derby County

Day

7 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

Defence is key here. Hull will come out and try and beat us, which plays into our hands as long as we don't do a forest and concede early. 

If it's 0-0 at HT, I think we will win. Dawson is a big loss for them. 

Ince to score a late winner and Bruce's nose to explode. 

Dunno... Think his stomach is catching his nose up...

image.jpeg

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Rampage said:

Probably meant that from what I saw they were the second best team on the day, did not look like winning and scored from a big boot forward. I would be more than happy if we win at Hull through a similar goal. Hull are a very good team that did not play to their usual standard on the day. See Florist v Derby for details  I like Hull, both my sons went to Uni there. People are very friendly in Hull, Strovolos

Thanks for the plaudits, but as far as the game was concerned, if you look at the stats and the report you will see that we deserved at least a point and that one of the issues on the day was that our passing game was largely made impossible to implement due to the condition of the rugby pitch.

in truth I think we have played better away from home this season. At home we have largely faced sides who concentrate on stopping us rather than prioritising their own attacking  intent. This has meant the players and fans have had to be very patient during matches and that has been a bit frustrating.  I hope Friday will be different and Clement sets out to take the initiative.

45 minutes ago, Strovolos said:

Thanks for the plaudits, but as far as the game was concerned, if you look at the stats and the report you will see that we deserved at least a point and that one of the issues on the day was that our passing game was largely made impossible to implement due to the condition of the rugby pitch.

in truth I think we have played better away from home this season. At home we have largely faced sides who concentrate on stopping us rather than prioritising their own attacking  intent. This has meant the players and fans have had to be very patient during matches and that has been a bit frustrating.  I hope Friday will be different and Clement sets out to take the initiative.

Primarily we will set out to keep the ball. We both play in a similar way as far as I can see. Don't judge us by the Forest game. That was a particularly bad day at the office. As I say it will initially be a battle to gain possession of the ball.

Really looking forward to this.

I think Clement will bring Bryson in for Johnson and that will be the only change. Which is exactly what I would do. 

I was having a read up earlier from when Hull played Boro at home a few weeks back. Hull won 3-0 and by all accounts that scoreline flattered Boro. 

Boro went there and tried to go toe to toe with Hull. It didnt work. Hull exploited the space that was left and ran out comfortable winners. 

I think Clement would have watched that game and will hopefully learn from Boro's mistakes. 

If we go there and play like we did against Forest, where Forest were hitting us on the counter far too often in the first half, then Hull will beat us comfortably.

We need to go there and frustrate them. We have the 3rd best defensive record in the country. Keep it tight. Dont let them hit us on the counter cos they have players that can hurt you. 

We need to play like an away side at the Ipro. But we have the quality to hurt them.

If we turn up and play our game, we will win. 

Its gonna be very tight but if we can get to half time at 0-0 then I think we will nick it. 

Im going 1-0 Derby. 

If we win this it will be brilliant to go top for a bit. But you get nothing for being top in November. 

Also if we lose we are 5 points behind Hull with 28 games to play. 

Not the end of the world.

Lets do this.

COYR

4 hours ago, Strovolos said:

Very unlikely that Clement will take the initiative until after half time if 0-0

Don't buy into this match having any telling effect on our season.

While our games aginst Hull could end up being the difference between promotion or not (like Burnley two years ago) I don't think a loss here will mean we can't still do it. For what it's worth, Hull look a cut above at the moment.

Watford were the first team promoted last season, yet their record against their challenges was awful. Norwich and Ipswich beat them twice, Derby and Bournemouth took four points off them.

In fact, Derby's record against Watford, Bournemouth, Norwich and Ipswich was largely very good - we didn't lose to any of them... Yet that in the end counted for nothing.

Having seen snippets of Hull and going by thie recent form, I think they could run away with it like Leicester and then 2nd spot will be a straight shootout between Burnley, Boro and Derby.

On 23/11/2015, 21:40:22, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Still waiting for you to answer the question why are they lose Huddlestone? 

Good post.  I would say, however, I don't think we will "Run away with it".  Bruce is primarily a defensive coach who loves clean sheets, so I don't see us doing a Leicester.

Also you are quite right, this game means nothing IF the loser manages the defeat correctly (assuming one team loses).  After the 3-0 dismantling of the Smoggies, you should have seen them on the messageboards!  I thought there was going to be a mass suicide!!  And their manager did nothing to reassure the fans and so that could affect them for a number of games.

I have to say, and I'm not having a dig here!!, I think Burnleh are a very good bet for automatic promotion.  Not because they have the best players, but because the majority of them have been there and done it before and with Burnley.  Plus their manager has also got excellent experience in this league.  That actually is what your main weakness is, the lack of experience of your manager.

Finally there's always one club that comes with a late charge from mid table.  I wonder who that might be this year?  Ipswich?  Wednesday? Forest?  (Nah, just ******* with Ya!!) :-)

Burnley will be up there because not enough teams have the skill to unlock that very organised safety first style. 

It's tragic really.

Not looking forward to tomorrow tbh. I think we'll suffer a narrow defeat and people will look into it too much. "Play Offs at best".

Or if we win then some will run around shouting we've won the league.

It's a big game simply because if we can force our way into the top 2 then it gives us something to defend rather than chasing and being frustrated.  For Hull it's a chance to beat off the competition.

But it's no decider. Sounds obvious but people will still jump to conclusions. A bit like 2 months ago when Brighton won promotion and we were too far behind...

Be nice to win and get in that position where we truly introduce ourselves to the auto promotion battle. We've been on a great run and it's hard to take that we have only managed to catch up. 

What are the arguments for and against treating this game as a must win game? Doublemindedness about drawing or winning can be a real problem. an attitude of not losing the game is essential. Losing 1-0 or 2-0 makes no difference so we can afford to take risks putting players on if we are struggling. If a weakness appears early then fix it early.It we never looked like winning, change it big at half time. 

I think most would be happy with a point, all I want us to avoid is the kind of timid, tame and uninspiring performance we put in up at Boro in a similar type of affair this time last year. 

Would love to a performance that shows me that we've got a bit more about us this year when it comes to these crunch games. Let's lay down a marker.

Archived