Huddersfield Town v Derby County

Chris Mills

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm absolutely convinced that if our next five games were Bolton (A), Charlton (H), Boro (H), Brum (A) and Leeds (H) we would pick up far more than just four points.

We made a poor start, but we're certainly growing now.

Other teams at the top look aveage - Burnley were lucky to beat Blackburn and Rotherham recently, Hull are effective but hardly worth fearing and Brighton are overachieving.

Potential is there for us to really have a go this year. 

Could have easily been 3 or 4 goals on another day if not for their keeper. We're looking pretty good and I've got a feeling the best is still to come. 

Just listened to PC on BBC website ,he alluded to the fact that the team have the ability to step up a gear as in the second half today.

I said to my mate after the Wolves game the players look like they are getting to know each other better ,someone is going to cop one shortly .

Second half we pressed, first half we didn't really. That pressing gave us more chances.

Still miss Hendrick or Bryson to bomb forward. Times in the first half where Thorne, Butterfield and Johnson were all sitting deep when we had the ball.

It was Butterfields best game yet and Thorne was brilliant today.

Just got back from the game,felt Derby was by far the more dangerous side and deserved to win which we did,more to come from us as well,and also would like to mention the fantastic support,really made me proud to be a ram,exciting times ahead,I for one am really enjoying this season,and there's more to come,roll on Saturday, can not get enough football this year lol

I have to say that I thought that it would be disastrous losing will Hughes for so long. Six wins and two draws in the last eight suggest that Plan B is working extremely satisfactorily.We have got options galore. Clement has everyone believing that we can win or draw any match. He is proud of the players.He has literally got no excuse at all. Mel and co have given him the best that we can do. I would like Sean Dyche to be another job. He is a formidable competitor. Fergie is a big fan of Dyche.

I'm absolutely convinced that if our next five games were Bolton (A), Charlton (H), Boro (H), Brum (A) and Leeds (H) we would pick up far more than just four points.

We made a poor start, but we're certainly growing now.

Other teams at the top look aveage - Burnley were lucky to beat Blackburn and Rotherham recently, Hull are effective but hardly worth fearing and Brighton are overachieving.

Potential is there for us to really have a go this year. 

bris we will win the league and win it comfortably 

Had a great day and night in Yorkshire, finally home now. 

What a great display that was today. Not exceptional, but great. Yes, Huddersfield scored but only because Keogh had a moment. Other than that they never came close. They look like they're fighting off relegation to me. We were so dominant at times, it was like watching England against a minnow, where they have all the ball, with the opposition camped in their own half. Unfortunately we didn't score the three or four we deserved, their keeper played a blinder to be fair. 

Bit strange in that Butterfield played wide right with Ince central, until Tom went off injured (he'd looked very poor until then). Thorne looked at it from minute one, as did Martin after a no show at Blackburn. We weren't great first half, still felt we were a little deep, but we were still comfortably better than the opposition and 1-1 at the break flattered Huddersfield. 

Second half was better, helped by the goal of course, quite early on. Butterfield (making a point, I dunno) was much more to the fore today and now central he was finding pockets in behind Martin as well as drifting wide, and it's there that he beat a man on the touchline before crossing, the header clear fell to George and boom, angled half volley, top bin, thank you very much. We went wild in the away end. 

Thorne delivered a sublime performance, keeping him fit is massive to us, trust me. Johnson sloppy in possession, could have cost us against better quality sides but he was grafting throughout and didn't have a bad game, better than Blackburn midweek anyway. Russell was much better second half, just pressured their full back non stop, and Christie supported him well, nearly scored but Cyrus needs to make decisions quicker, he dwells on it too long for me. Forsyth was steady, good and bad moments, both centre halves were good especially Shackell against the physical Miller. Carson had nothing to do. Weimann did well for me, works a lot harder than Ince, much quicker too but lacks Tom's quality I reckon, but still, impressed me. But it was between Thorne and Butterfield for me as MOTM. And George edges it for the goal. 

But I hope this now illustrates (to those who saw the game) how key Butterfield could be for us. His passing range was bang on, left foot, right foot, long and short. Won slide tackles, headers, grafted as usual. Retained possession, neat skills and very tidy on the ball, and went back out wide right for the last 10 minutes when Russell was subbed off. Only criticism of him would be his lack of shooting today. Once or twice you'd have backed him (or anyone) to have a pop at goal but he passed instead. He's an unselfish player though, so maybe it means nothing, but I'd have loved to see him smash one in, think it's something he needs to do to convince the doubters. 

Put it this way, we didn't miss Hendrick, and Butterfield certainly makes us harder to beat/score past than Jeff, however, once both are available again it's a cracking headache for PC to have. I'm not sure who I'd select next weekend. Brilliant to be in this position. 

But yes, George Thorne, what a effin player that lad is. Not the goal, good as it was, it was everything else he did. Looks international quality to me when he plays like that. MOTM for me, gorgeous George. 

I hope we play like that more often, as we did second half - a few yards further forward. In your face, high tempo stuff. It invigorated the crowd, a pleasure to be among it this afternoon, sang for 90 minutes non stop, stood up, what a day. 

UTR

Seen Thorne's goal, my word it's stunning.

It's not just a genuine smash from 30-yards, it's the way he brought it down and hit a controlled effort on the half-volley.

There aren't many players in England capable of doing that, let alone the Championship. I'd like to see a regular Premier League DM like Lee Cattermole or James McArthur hit a ball as sweetly as that.

We all know he has outrageous technicque, witnessed from that goal against Brighton. Against Wolves last weekend too, that volley was hit as sweet as a nut.

Cracking goal.

@Warren Hobhead

Nice articulate response but I disagree with a couple of points. 

1) Ince wasn't playing central - just had licence to roam.

2) We missed a midfield runner going beyond Martin. First half especially as Buttfield, Thorne and Johnson all want the ball to feet rather than running onto anything. We didn't penetrate as much as we should have done and at times in the first have I saw Thorne as the most advanced.

Clement obviously told them to press more in the second half which worked well. For me we missed Hendrick.

It was however the best performance so far from Butterfield.

@Warren Hobhead

Nice articulate response but I disagree with a couple of points. 

1) Ince wasn't playing central - just had licence to roam.

2) We missed a midfield runner going beyond Martin. First half especially as Buttfield, Thorne and Johnson all want the ball to feet rather than running onto anything. We didn't penetrate as much as we should have done and at times in the first have I saw Thorne as the most advanced.

Clement obviously told them to press more in the second half which worked well. For me we missed Hendrick.

It was however the best performance so far from Butterfield.

Agree with this

Trains yesterday were a horror show both there and back. Still managed to land in Huddersfield at about 12. That was the only negative really.

Somehow missed the Sportsman and ended up in some quiet local that served one lager and had only pie and mushy peas and beef sandwiches for food. Was decent for £3.00 though.

As for the game, they had pretty much nothing going forwards and it didn't really feel nervy at all for me, was just a question of whether we'd get another once they equalised. Their keeper was probably the man of the match bar Thorne. Martin could have had 3, Christie could have scored... chances were created. Thankfully one was taken.

The first real opportunity that Wiemann has had time-wise and I though he looked decent. Needs some composure but he seems speedy and more skillful than I'd previously given him credit for.

Not free flowing total football a-la Wolves but solid and effective and another win on the road. Shackell, Thorne and Martin were the difference.

Cracking day out anyway and shins are destroyed.

Archived