Huddersfield Town v Derby County

Chris Mills

We never lose when I go to away games, it's a fact.

Yesterday was a memorable one, I can't recall us controlling a game like we did in the second half yesterday for a very long time, I was never nervous at all. Forsyth is just much better than Warnock, hope Clement sees that now. Really pleased Butterfield had a good game.

Didn't actually see Martins goal go in as I was looking at the linesman because he looked miles offside. We were celebrating Thornes goal before he had even hit it, not many CDM'S have a rocket shot in their locker like he does.

Certainly the best atmosphere this season as well.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Warren Hobhead

Nice articulate response but I disagree with a couple of points. 

1) Ince wasn't playing central - just had licence to roam.

2) We missed a midfield runner going beyond Martin. First half especially as Buttfield, Thorne and Johnson all want the ball to feet rather than running onto anything. We didn't penetrate as much as we should have done and at times in the first have I saw Thorne as the most advanced.

Clement obviously told them to press more in the second half which worked well. For me we missed Hendrick.

It was however the best performance so far from Butterfield.

On point one, that doesn't deter from the fact he was playing central and Butterfield wide for much of the time Tom was on the pitch. 

On point two, fully agree with you and has been the case in a lot of away games this season. 

If Brighton drop two points in the next two games, no other teams can stop us being top if we win the next three because we are less than three points behind Hull, and Burnley and by the end of the Florist match we will have played an extra game. The others play on the next day when we could be knocked off the top.

Yes, you are right and in some ways that would be great. But no-one gets promoted in November. Its May that matters. After last years shambles it may be no bad thing as long as we keep in the play off places and then really push on after Xmas. No point putting ourselves under pressure, expecting to win every game then getting upset when we drop points, sometimes unexpectedly , which will happen in this league. There's a hell of a long way to go yet. Its a marathon, not a sprint.

Yes, you are right and in some ways that would be great. But no-one gets promoted in November. Its May that matters. After last years shambles it may be no bad thing as long as we keep in the play off places and then really push on after Xmas. No point putting ourselves under pressure, expecting to win every game then getting upset when we drop points, sometimes unexpectedly , which will happen in this league. There's a hell of a long way to go yet. Its a marathon, not a sprint.

Whenever we play a team, we can say what would be a good result against them. Some of the teams that we drew against early on would be easier to beat now, in my opinion. Blackburn held us to a draw and Burnley beat them, both at Ewood Park. At the end of the season, that is two pints dropped, with respect to Burnley. I simply hold the view, that game on game, we should get as many points as possible. If we are top, then we are top. When we have a chance to go top, take it. Last season, when we had a chance to go clear, we did not take it. If Bournemouth can be up there all season and then get promoted, so can we. You can only win the game in front of you. We will soon have some harder teams to beat, so we need to beat these teams now, because it is now that we are playing them.Most of the other teams expect us to win this league because of the money that we have spent and the players that we have. Let's not disappoint them.

Some things that I like about Derby County today.

1. Sheer lack of stupidity at the Club

2. Sheer abundance of common sense at the Club

3. Sheer abundance of professionalism shown at the Club

4. Sheer absence of bullshirt at the Club

Actually, getting promotion is secondary in importance to getting 1 - 4 right. I finally see what Mel Morris means. He means run the Club properly, put in place what can best be afforded, increase year on year.and promotion will come.Who would not want to work at Derby County, only people who want unrealistic remuneration for their 'skills'.

Whenever we play a team, we can say what would be a good result against them. Some of the teams that we drew against early on would be easier to beat now, in my opinion. Blackburn held us to a draw and Burnley beat them, both at Ewood Park. At the end of the season, that is two pints dropped, with respect to Burnley. I simply hold the view, that game on game, we should get as many points as possible. If we are top, then we are top. When we have a chance to go top, take it. Last season, when we had a chance to go clear, we did not take it. If Bournemouth can be up there all season and then get promoted, so can we. You can only win the game in front of you. We will soon have some harder teams to beat, so we need to beat these teams now, because it is now that we are playing them.Most of the other teams expect us to win this league because of the money that we have spent and the players that we have. Let's not disappoint them.

Fair comment, I get you, and I value your positivity.

But both of us know two things :

- we will not be top in a few weeks time

- we are not the best, stand-out team in this division (yet) 

So lets not get hung up about it . We have a lot more to give and can improve considerably. The best time to do that is in the first quarter of next year, which is what I think will happen.

Fair comment, I get you, and I value your positivity.

But both of us know two things :

- we will not be top in a few weeks time

- we are not the best, stand-out team in this division (yet) 

So lets not get hung up about it . We have a lot more to give and can improve considerably. The best time to do that is in the first quarter of next year, which is what I think will happen.

If I know Clement, we will be top on Nov 6th. Time to go top is when you have the most points. Time to get them the points is when you play the teams. If you can beat them, beat them.If we can get to the top we will be able to settle for draws against big rivals instead of having to beat them. I think that this season, Derby will get points from grinding out results that in the last two seasons, we did not get. Clement said that we ground out a win against Huddersfield.I have absolutely no objection being criticised as am fan of a team that grinds out results. Lets get promoted by doing what we need to, then get the cash and go from there. if we do not do that then Burnley and Hull and Boro will grind them out instead of us. Clement will not allow that to happen.

If I know Clement, we will be top on Nov 6th. Time to go top is when you have the most points. Time to get them the points is when you play the teams. If you can beat them, beat them.If we can get to the top we will be able to settle for draws against big rivals instead of having to beat them. I think that this season, Derby will get points from grinding out results that in the last two seasons, we did not get. Clement said that we ground out a win against Huddersfield.I have absolutely no objection being criticised as am fan of a team that grinds out results. Lets get promoted by doing what we need to, then get the cash and go from there. if we do not do that then Burnley and Hull and Boro will grind them out instead of us. Clement will not allow that to happen.

Ha ! Speak to you on the 7th , but I sincerely hope you are right, we all want the same thing.

And I agree that all along Burnley, Boro and Hull are the big dangers 

Ha ! Speak to you on the 7th , but I sincerely hope you are right, we all want the same thing.

And I agree that all along Burnley, Boro and Hull are the big dangers 

Sean Dyche has said that the way to get promoted is to keep picking up points, bi implication he was saying that he does not care how he gets them, he just knows that they are added up at the end of the season. Clement is extremely used to seeing his team at the top of the league. He is trying to inculcate the same notion into his players.

If I know Clement, we will be top on Nov 6th. Time to go top is when you have the most points. Time to get them the points is when you play the teams. If you can beat them, beat them.

But you don't know Clement do you?  But if in some parallel universe you do, please tell him from me I will be very happy for us to go top at the end of game 46. 

But you don't know Clement do you?  But if in some parallel universe you do, please tell him from me I will be very happy for us to go top at the end of game 46. 

In the parallel universe, Clement informed me that he would like to be top before game 46 and stay there until game 46. :D

Clement is making himself clear week on week. He said that we ground out a win at Huddersfield, so that is his opinion. It was not my opinion. It does suggest that grinding out results is not a problem to him. If we grind one out against Rotherham, will I be bovvered? Will I look bovvered? Did Clement look bovvered that we won by grinding it out? Did he look bovvered? He was not bovvered.:D

Archived