Newcastle United 2015-16 season

i-Ram

Broadly speaking, I couldn't give a stuff about managers' jobs. They choose to put themselves up for this and know the consequences. 

The conspiracy theory is light-hearted. However, McClaren surely didn't want to take the Newcastle job for job security, did he? So some other motive is at play. Unless he's a moron who has no idea what happens to managers at Newcastle.

This situation with Newcastle this season is not merely predictable, it was inevitable. Fans with preposterously high expectations, an owner with a God complex and a manager with a big enough ego to think he can please them all.

Perhaps I am being unreasonable but I'm glad it's going badly for him, the owner and the fans. He's made his bed and I am happy it is uncomfortable.

That's fair enough. I'm not asking you to feel sorry for McClaren, just to understand that it's daft to hold players and managers to the standards of loyalty and emotion as the fans.

I'd agree about the Newcastle situation. The potential pay off must be on the mind of anyone taking the job up there. I always find it bizarre when people say managers are mad to take jobs at clubs with trigger happy chairmen and demanding fans. Speaking as a lazy git, my dream job is one where I work for one sixth of my contract and spend the rest on gardening leave or get paid off. There are few careers where failure is as well rewarded as football management.

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Ninos I cannot agree with that. NO manager can recover a player's fears once the boo-boys are on their back 3 minutes into a game. If you look at those games, we started alright (more often than not), but if we weren't strolling to an epic victory, the disgraceful fans with their "I pay my money, I should be allowed to hurl abuse and threats" attitude would pipe up and ruin whatever frail confidence the team had. There's nothing a manager can do about that. It's not about McClaren's bottle. He doesn't need to have bottle during games.

But some of the more successful managers seem adept at deflecting any ill-will onto themselves thus giving the fragile egos of the first team some protection.

He could have fronted up with some platitudinous offerings "don't blame the team, blame me" type of stuff. Mourinho does it very well. Whethr it would have worked of course is completely hypothetical.

That's fair enough. I'm not asking you to feel sorry for McClaren, just to understand that it's daft to hold players and managers to the standards of loyalty and emotion as the fans.

I'd agree about the Newcastle situation. The potential pay off must be on the mind of anyone taking the job up there. I always find it bizarre when people say managers are mad to take jobs at clubs with trigger happy chairmen and demanding fans. Speaking as a lazy git, my dream job is one where I work for one sixth of my contract and spend the rest on gardening leave or get paid off. There are few careers where failure is as well rewarded as football management.

it's not really loyalty. It's that he simply didn't know what side his bread was buttered. Be part of something special, have statues built in your honour, be loved or just be another managerial statistic. 

No sense of magnificence. 

Sort of relevant.......

Gary Neville wrote this in the Telegraph today - part of an interesting article asking a question about whether football in the North is in decline, including Newcastle but excepting Manchester:

'If you were to count the players in the current north-east clubs' squads who will stay there when their careers are over you would be unlikely to find more than two or three. So you lack large numbers who represent that badge, that club, that city. Too many will be there just for a job. But it’s more than a job, playing for a football club. You have to connect with the hearts and minds of fans.'

Sort of relevant.......

Gary Neville wrote this in the Telegraph today - part of an interesting article asking a question about whether football in the North is in decline, including Newcastle but excepting Manchester:

'If you were to count the players in the current north-east clubs' squads who will stay there when their careers are over you would be unlikely to find more than two or three. So you lack large numbers who represent that badge, that club, that city. Too many will be there just for a job. But it’s more than a job, playing for a football club. You have to connect with the hearts and minds of fans.'

Savage wrote exactly the same in The Mirror, they're right.

Good result for a tactically inept manager that couldn't manage to wipe his own arse. A draw against one of the best managers in the game and a team full of superstars. 

Must be luck, players must have ignored him and did what they want.

Fans won't be happy they threw away the lead but I bet before kick off every single fan would have taken a draw before kick off.

Well done Steve, great point.

Good result for a tactically inept manager that couldn't manage to wipe his own arse. A draw against one of the best managers in the game and a team full of superstars. 

Fans won't be happy they threw away the lead but I bet before kick off every single fan would have taken a draw before kick off.

He's a very good manager (or at lest a very good coach), that's the point. Wouldn't give a monkeys if we'd been dumped by a no-marks. 

You could look at it another way and they that Newcastle failed to beat a team in and around where they are in the league at home despite having a 2 goal lead with only a short time to go.

Inept management at it's greatest.

You could but that would be scraping the barrel.

Best performance of the season I've just read as well.

It's easy for a manager to get their players up for the games against the likes of Chelsea.

He'll earn his corn trying to beat the likes of Stoke City and West Ham.

It's all well and fine when teams are coming to attack you but when Mcclaren has to find the solution to taking the game to sides, he'll come woefully short.

No wins all season, confidence low, I'd say it would be hard to motivate a team before playing one of the best teams in the league.

Need to use this performance now as a lift to kick on. Still ridicously early in the season as well, no idea what the target is for him but the fans expect him to win the league 

No wins all season, confidence low, I'd say it would be hard to motivate a team before playing one of the best teams in the league.

Need to use this performance now as a lift to kick on. Still ridicously early in the season as well, no idea what the target is for him but the fans expect him to win the league 

I really hope he does get it right up in the North-East. A lot of money has been invested in that team over the close season and fans will expect a mid-table finish at worst.

Archived