Newcastle United 2015-16 season

i-Ram

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Toon Forum - Re: Newcastle Utd vs Sheffield Wednesday - 23/09/15 - Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:15 am

PTN wrote:  Only Newcastle could spend £50 Million plus on new players, and still turn out to be absolute gash.

Didn't they play their reserve side?

Oh no, sorry. That was the Wendies who did that.

Burley was good but nowhere near the levels of Smith or McClaren. 

I feel sorry for you that you weren't around to see Cox's teams.  They were quality.

As for Schteve, f00k him.  I know it's going over familiar ground, but the Newcastle speculation and the way he so cack-handedly dealt with it was a contributing factor in us falling away in such dramatic style.  He should've denied it to everybody except his agent & that fat **** Ashley, kept things sweet til the end of the season and then left.  Instead to kept the circus going right til the bitter end making it all about him.  Well he's certainly getting the attention he deserves now :lol:

Cox's team were the best since I've followed Derby, and that includes TBE's, Burley's and McClaren's teams.

Saunders and Goddard up front, Mcminn on the wing, Micklewhite, Georgie Williams, Hebberd, Forsyth, Shilts, Wrighty - still gives me goosebumps remembering the quality in that side!

absolute disaster of a manager , how he got a premiership job after the debacle he caused at the ipro last season beggars belief , he is clueless and been shown up for what he is , a poor manager , the England job must beckon again hopefully

Dropped Bryson didn't he?

absolute disaster of a manager , how he got a premiership job after the debacle he caused at the ipro last season beggars belief , he is clueless and been shown up for what he is , a poor manager , the England job must beckon again hopefully

Hang on a minute at the start of March we were 5 points clear, playing entertaining football - we then lost the bulk of the side through injuries, that was our down fall not having a squad quality players in depth.

I would have loved to see Mac in charge of our current squad, as we have supplied our current coach with a mass of quality players...........

Cox's team were the best since I've followed Derby, and that includes TBE's, Burley's and McClaren's teams.

Saunders and Goddard up front, Mcminn on the wing, Micklewhite, Georgie Williams, Hebberd, Forsyth, Shilts, Wrighty - still gives me goosebumps remembering the quality in that side!

Deano was an outstanding striker in his time.  In today's money he'd be close to £20-£25m and if Ronaldo had scored some of his goals (the volley at Highbury/the throw in of the keepers back) they'd be on Sky Sports News every 15 mins and a million Vines dedicated to them on Twitter...

Sick of this attacking football myth. McClaren was happy to play attacking football, until things went wrong and he'd start games setting up for a draw. Then in games like Huddersfield and Millwall, we'd end up down and then he'd have to allow the attackers to play. And surprise surprise we'd start to score goals. Too late though.

He was pushing buttons and panicking, he made minimal changes to Cloughs team and let team spirit do his job for him. Mostly crap recruitment, never any changes to tactics until things went horrendously wrong and then he proved his tactics to be inept. Not a patch on Jim Smith.

Sick of this attacking football myth. McClaren was happy to play attacking football, until things went wrong and he'd start games setting up for a draw. Then in games like Huddersfield and Millwall, we'd end up down and then he'd have to allow the attackers to play. And surprise surprise we'd start to score goals. Too late though.

He was pushing buttons and panicking, he made minimal changes to Cloughs team and let team spirit do his job for him. Mostly crap recruitment, never any changes to tactics until things went horrendously wrong and then he proved his tactics to be inept. Not a patch on Jim Smith.

Every point you think you had are wrong...ok apart from one he wasn't a patch on Jim Smith. The rest are the incorrect ramblings of a bitter fan. 

I don't really care how well/badly McClaren does now he's not at Derby - we had some great times with him, we also had some nervy terms with him.  PCs Derby may not be as exciting as the previous couple of seasons (yet) but at least I'm not in danger of having a heart attack every time the opposition come forwards!

My lasting opinion of McClaren however is the non-committal politician speak when the Newcastle rumours started circulating, he went down a lot in my estimations then.  I understand he may have wanted to keep his options open but I found it very disrespectful towards Derby (both owners and fans) and lets face it, how many football players kiss the badge one week only to be gone the next?

I've been watching Derby for around 20 years now, in that time I have seen just 2 managers bring football that was entertaining and I loved to watch.....Jim Smith and Steve McClaren.

Already said numerous times I didn't want to see Steve go, blaming the Newcastle situation on our slump in form is just ridiculous, we lost all our CDM's and Strikers. 

Give Steve this squad and we would be up there at the top now. I truly believe that.

I'm fully behind Clement now, I have to be. No point in spitting my dummy out over the current manager as I was a big fan of the last.

Clement has sorted out our defence and credit to him but he has traded it in for the entertaining attacking football I enjoyed under Steve. Who knows, maybe in time that would come under Clement, I hope so as football is about entertainment for me and at the moment I've lost that buzz before each game.

I will be 100% wanting both Steve and Newcastle to win their next 2 games as well. Not for the Newcastle fans mind you.  

Pure comedy gold that Daveo. You've excelled yourself here.

McClaren changed a working system in favour of his own and refused to alter things when we weren't getting the results.

He hasn't got a clue at Newcastle. He seems to have no idea on how to turn things round there and is on the fast track to getting the sack there.

The natives are restless up here now. He's going to have to work some magic to turn them round. I can't see it happening. He's had a lousy year as a Manager, undoing so much of the good work done before.

He's made some very poor decisions, both on and off the pitch, since the turn of the year. He needs a miracle or two from somewhere.

Pure comedy gold that Daveo. You've excelled yourself here.

McClaren changed a working system in favour of his own and refused to alter things when we weren't getting the results.

He hasn't got a clue at Newcastle. He seems to have no idea on how to turn things round there and is on the fast track to getting the sack there.

I'm glad my opinion entertained you so much :) 

My lasting opinion of McClaren however is the non-committal politician speak when the Newcastle rumours started circulating, he went down a lot in my estimations then.  I understand he may have wanted to keep his options open but I found it very disrespectful towards Derby (both owners and fans) and lets face it, how many football players kiss the badge one week only to be gone the next?

People can talk about theories all they want, but regarding what actually happened, McClaren's decision to keep his options open and not rule out the Newcastle job was 100% vindicated because he ended up getting sacked.

Just out of interest, do any of the McClaren haters really think he'd still be at Derby if he'd declared 100% that he wouldn't take the Newcastle job and our season had still finished the same with us sitting 8th? If no, would you not have any sympathy that fan and board pressure had forced him to pass up a Premiership opportunity only to get the boot 6 months later?

You do know that McLaren did all the tactical work under Jim Smith don't you?

Again people talking about loyalty. 

Where's our loyalty to Connor Sammon? Where was our loyalty to Jamie Ward? How did McClaren depart Derby in the end? Where was the Derby faithful to Keogh and Christie? Where's the loyalty when fans are suggesting sell him and loan him out and drop him etc etc. Where was Derby's loyalty to all the players they've released and sold? 

Yeah, "that's football" and it goes both ways. McClaren was sacked. 

As for making out you didn't enjoy it. If you didn't enjoy his spell then how did you survive the Clough rebuild. Actually how have you endured much of the last 15 years? 

You think we'd be at this level of investment without McClaren's spell. Would Clement be here if the team didn't have the investment or we were still languishing in midtable? 

Archived