Why Why Why Weimann

sage

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, jimbobram said:

really really impressed. Works so hard, chases everything, good little finish. Hard to drop him now

He is like the offspring of Jamie Ward and Johnny Russell. His movement is much better than Inces IMO, must be a nightmare for opposition defences the way he goes between flanks and gets in behind.

Weimann is most dangerous when he is totally out of position and nobody knows who is marking him; when he is sort of centre forward without portfolio.He wants to be in the middle. No opposition player has got the energy to follow him around the pitch all through the game so he turns up as an extra man with  goal scoring opportunities, most of which he fails to convert.When Kevin Phillips has trained him, he could become very prolific.

19 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Weimann is most dangerous when he is totally out of position and nobody knows who is marking him; when he is sort of centre forward without portfolio.He wants to be in the middle. No opposition player has got the energy to follow him around the pitch all through the game so he turns up as an extra man with  goal scoring opportunities, most of which he fails to convert.When Kevin Phillips has trained him, he could become very prolific.

I agree. Whilst his movement inside does sometimes lead to us becoming too narrow, his unpredictability causes havoc for defenders and I'm delighted he's managed to prove himself in the team. His pace is frightening, his work-rate is excellent and if if gets his finishing and decision making sorted out, he will definitely prove that Villa shouldn't have put him out in the cold. The point that Mel and Paul constantly make is that Paul's job is to improve the players, and this is something that, with the help of Kevin Phillips and John Peacock, will really help push Weimman on to fulfil the potential that he showed at the start of his Premier League career with Villa.

A lot of people are still talking about what we would do if Martin was out inured and moaning we haven't got a direct Martin replacement. I'm not worried about it.

For me, a front 2 of Bent and Weimann/Russell with creative players like Thorne, Butterfield, Ince (and maybe even eventually Hughes) playing behind them gives us a pretty effective attacking force right there. Weimann's movement and work-rate would probably suit Bent too.

A lot of **** got spouted about a diamond or a variation of a 4-4-2 at the start of the season, but I think that was more of an attack of a move away from a 4-3-3 and maybe associations with hoofball 4-4-2's (Dyche, Davies, Clough) that killed the popularity of that choice. Obviously I love Martin and our 4-3-3, it's a proven winner, which is why there is a case to replace Martin with another target man. But, I agree with Mel Morris when he says that our problem last season was defending and not having a Thorne/Mascarell/Eustace to dominate games, not scoring goals. Weimann and Bent up top would be a good Martin replacement IMO

I reckon 442 would be an acceptable option now that the players have been together for longer and working with Clement. 

The understanding players are starting to have with each other would surely make a 433 alternative work better than at the start of the season, its not like 433 did much good then either.

I have actually been disappointed with Martin, he has been very sulky and not very effective, Bent must be wondering what he has to do to get on the pitch.

1 hour ago, RicME85 said:

I have actually been disappointed with Martin, he has been very sulky and not very effective, Bent must be wondering what he has to do to get on the pitch.

What the actual ****?

22 minutes ago, RicME85 said:

His hold up play hasnt been that good, he has been getting out muscled when trying to claim long balls and has spent a lot of time on his arse.

He's also spent a lot of time celebrating goals, both his own and teammates', as well as the 3 points. 

Archived