Why Why Why Weimann

sage

14 minutes ago, eddie said:

Three weeks ago, Ince was a waste of money according to some, basically he wasn't bothered because he 'only performs when he's looking for a new contract'.

Weimann is just going through a rough patch, and had made over 100 Premier League appearances by the time he was 24. I'm far more likely to take notice of what Paul Clement thinks than our regular messageboard muppets who have as much idea of being able to judge a player's ability as they have about astrophysics.

(Bloody astrophysicist to rip me a new one or Paul Clement to explain the Lorentz Transformations in 5....4....3....)

Clement knows enough about fluid dynamics, Eddie... ;)

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

oh my god, weimann was the best thing since sliced bread a fortnight ago after his goal scoring exploits, now we should flog him to Barnsley for a tenner, really?

Can I hire you to do the summing up in every thread? You've nailed this one.

21 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

oh my god, weimann was the best thing since sliced bread a fortnight ago after his goal scoring exploits, now we should flog him to Barnsley for a tenner, really?

Did the same people say those two things?

Or is this just one of those football forum moments where a bunch of people said one thing and then at a different moment a separate bunch of people said something else? And then somehow everyone's a hypocrite? 

19 hours ago, StringerBell said:

Did the same people say those two things?

Or is this just one of those football forum moments where a bunch of people said one thing and then at a different moment a separate bunch of people said something else? And then somehow everyone's a hypocrite? 

what do you think of Weimann Stringer ?

We have had this thread asking "why why weimann" which dropped rank on this forum when he started scoring then the following game he blanked and the thread rose from the ashes, the lad is 23 and has 113 premier league appearance to his name and 13 full caps, I personally feel the system and rigidity of the formation is stopping the all out attack we enjoyed under Mac but we are not shipping the goals either, swings and roundabouts!!

we are top two and it couldn't be better in my eyes, what a signing Clement was, he is a passionate guy who loves bringing up his graphs and stats at every opportunity :D

have we had two bad games back to back since he implemented his thinking into the ranks?

2 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

We have had this thread asking "why why weimann" which dropped rank on this forum when he started scoring then the following game he blanked and the thread rose from the ashes, the lad is 23 and has 113 premier league appearance to his name and 13 full caps, I personally feel the system and rigidity of the formation is stopping the all out attack we enjoyed under Mac but we are not shipping the goals either, swings and roundabouts!!

we are top two and it couldn't be better in my eyes, what a signing Clement was, he is a passionate guy who loves bringing up his graphs and stats at every opportunity :D

have we had two bad games back to back since he implemented his thinking into the ranks?

Actually, it rose from the ashes when he scored twice, then only pottered along as his form faltered again.

Just now, LesterRam said:

your not a fan then Sage ?

You could deduce that from this thread, however whilst I don't particularly rate him, his signing made no sense in terms of the formation we play. That is the bigger issue in my eyes. 

56 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

I've not got a strong opinion on him one way or the other. I don't think he's a bad player, but I also don't think he's a winger.

His running off the ball seems good and he takes up good positions in the box. But these are things I'd primarily associate with strikers. I know you do have to run in behind and off the ball as a winger, but there are also times you need to face the fullback with the ball and take him on. I don't remember Weimann ever doing this. He usually opts to hold it up, like a striker. I also don't think he a player to get to the byline or whip in a great cross. Or having a cracking shot from distance. I'd prefer to see him in a front two.

But as it is, like I said a page or two back, he'll do a job out there like a poor man's Podolski or Kuyt (2 other strikers who got shunted out wide). His work rate is terrific and he was a big part of us beating Hull.

Johnny Russell is a player signed as a striker but I think he does a better impression of a winger. Inconsistent, sometimes runs into trouble - but also decent ball control in tight areas usually and has the acceleration to make up for it when he doesn't, good at running the ball out of defence (I don't think Weimann is particularly), whips in a decent cross, good acceleration to get half a yard, can have a pop from distance and gets to the byline. Plus he has many of Weimann's qualities as a striker too for when he gets in the box. All in all if everyone was fit and in form I'd have Weimann on the bench and Russell starting most games.

2 hours ago, sage said:

You could deduce that from this thread, however whilst I don't particularly rate him, his signing made no sense in terms of the formation we play. That is the bigger issue in my eyes. 

We have played several formations, and will quite possibly play several more.

2 minutes ago, eddie said:

We have played several formations, and will quite possibly play several more.

We rarely play 2 up front. I don't see him being top 6 championship standard unless he's up front. He can't play there on his own.

2 hours ago, sage said:

We rarely play 2 up front. I don't see him being top 6 championship standard unless he's up front. He can't play there on his own.

I'm just not good a judge of a player to be able to say one way or another.

Archived