Richard Keogh

Smiffy2491

The Keogh/Buxton partnership doesn't really work that well, it just works marginally better than our other pairings.

The Keogh/Buxton partnership is one that lets in far too many headed goals from set pieces/crosses, is highly vulnerable to diagonal balls played in between them and just generally struggles to deal with any sort of aerial bombardment tactic.

Our subsequent failure to improve on it does not mean it doesn't still need improvement.

You'll struggle to find an all-rounded defender who is both dominant in the air and on the floor, more so at Championship level. I think in Keogh and Buxton we have one of the better pairings, especially in playing out from the back.

Also in egards to conceding from set pieces, harsh to blame just Keogh and Buxton when there are a good 15 players or so who get in the box from corners/freekicks.

You wouldn't blame the two strikers for a lack of scoring set-pieces or corners would you?

I honestly think our CBs are fine for this level and plenty of goals are conceded as a result of bad teamplay rather than individual mistakes.

That said, I'd sell him if we were offered 4m. That's a lot of money on a player who could be replaced by Shackell at half the price.

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buxton cost us wembley..gave ball away to llow their only attack of last 30minutes hitting a Hollywood pass.....that got nowhere near its man,

Buxton tackled, or rather did nt tackle, like a fairy by the by line. Admittedly he never panicked, nor made a "last ditch" tackle so hated by most derby fans

after these simple, un pressured errors...keogh then made a mistake and did not sweep,up and tidy up Bucko's errors.......which you and many many others forget about

i have no beef with Bucko, very solid player.  I detest the biased simplistic view that Keogh fuked up.

anyway, in interests of debate...name the keogh errors that cost us games. (Chelsea had a big Bucko error in it.......the keogh error occurs after Omar screwed up bigtime.....keogh won the ball back in a tackle but the tackle sent the ball straight to Fabregas....Bucko then failed to make a challenge and our midfield were slow coming back as Omar should have given grant the ball to clear down field which is where our midfielders were heading.......

don't let facts get in the way of you getting rid of our best defender and captain

Keoghs tackle fell to Fabregas? Really? So he didn't dally on the ball and pass it straight to him? 

Keogh not a fault at Wembley? The ball fell to him in the box and all he needed to do was wallop it, or control it. He did neither. 

Don't let the facts get in the way of your love for an average defender and poor captain. 

Where does all this rubbish about him not being a captain or leader of men come from?

He has captained for Coventry, Derby and Republic of Ireland under a number of managers.

But those who doubt his credentials obviously know better based on what exactly?  I'm more inclined to believe those that have employed him in the role than some bloke who has never met him.  It beggars belief - so next time someone says he's not a leader of men, I want to see reasoned arguments as to why that is not the case.

Finally, looking at his personal record would make you believe that he is better than some numpties who abuse him would suggest.

Bristol City

Young Player of the Year: 2006–07

Carlisle United

Player of the Year: 2009–10

Coventry City

Player of the Year: 2010–11, 2011–12
Players' Player of the Year: 2011–12

Derby County

Player of the Year: 2012–13
Players' Player of the Year: 2012–13
Supporters' Player of the Year: 2012–13
PFA Championship Team of the Year: 2014-15

Where does all this rubbish about him not being a captain or leader of men come from?

He has captained for Coventry, Derby and Republic of Ireland under a number of managers.

But those who doubt his credentials obviously know better based on what exactly?  I'm more inclined to believe those that have employed him in the role than some bloke who has never met him.  It beggars belief - so next time someone says he's not a leader of men, I want to see reasoned arguments as to why that is not the case.

Finally, looking at his personal record would make you believe that he is better than some numpties who abuse him would suggest.

Bristol City

Young Player of the Year: 2006–07

Carlisle United

Player of the Year: 2009–10

Coventry City

Player of the Year: 2010–11, 2011–12
Players' Player of the Year: 2011–12

Derby County

Player of the Year: 2012–13
Players' Player of the Year: 2012–13
Supporters' Player of the Year: 2012–13
PFA Championship Team of the Year: 2014-15

Case closed!!

Buxton cost us wembley..gave ball away to llow their only attack of last 30minutes hitting a Hollywood pass.....that got nowhere near its man,

Buxton tackled, or rather did nt tackle, like a fairy by the by line. Admittedly he never panicked, nor made a "last ditch" tackle so hated by most derby fans

after these simple, un pressured errors...keogh then made a mistake and did not sweep,up and tidy up Bucko's errors.......which you and many many others forget about

i have no beef with Bucko, very solid player.  I detest the biased simplistic view that Keogh fuked up.

anyway, in interests of debate...name the keogh errors that cost us games. (Chelsea had a big Bucko error in it.......the keogh error occurs after Omar screwed up bigtime.....keogh won the ball back in a tackle but the tackle sent the ball straight to Fabregas....Bucko then failed to make a challenge and our midfield were slow coming back as Omar should have given grant the ball to clear down field which is where our midfielders were heading.......

don't let facts get in the way of you getting rid of our best defender and captain

I would go one further and say that there were three errors that day forsyth 1st with a pathetic attempt at positioning himself at the throw in then bucko then Keogh. That is long long gone though, We all have views on who is better / worse etc, im not going in to that but for me if we were offered 4 Million for any of our defenders I think Derby would be mad not to take it.

However I don't personally see anybody leaving until PC has the chance to meet them all and see them in training and make an assessment of who he will fit into his plans.

1 thing that probably is going to happen is if we sign shackell I would expect that at least 2 maybe 3 of the current defensive squad would be moved on.

Not sure how a rumour which was squashed within an hour of surfacing by several journalists has reached 11 pages.

To summarise: no one has, nor will, offer £4m for Keogh, but if they did, we'd snap their hand off quicker than you could say "Keogh looks like that guy who was on X Factor last year".

Keoghs tackle fell to Fabregas? Really? So he didn't dally on the ball and pass it straight to him? 

No Keogh gave the ball to Hazard then Keogh tackled Hazard to make up for the mistake, when he tackled Hazard the ball fell kindly for Fabergas, who then passed it to Hazard as Keogh went to close him. When Hazard had the ball none of Buxton, Forsyth or Christie (who were all in between him and the goal) went to close him down and all just stood and watched him shoot.

There have been a few goals where a number of mistakes by more than 1 player/players not doing enough and Keogh has either made the 1st mistake (Chelsea) or been the last to not do enough (Reading/QPR) and it becomes Keogh's fault. There is no consistency for placing the blame other than on Keogh regardless who else has made a mistake before or after him.

Archived