Johnny Russell

DCFC1388

Not sure that is true.  Why not get a loan signing to replace him? I am not saying Ibe, but somebody 'Ibe like'. As JW said earlier, for £2.5m he can piggy back him down there and I will chip in to pay the bridge toll at Chepstow.

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2.5 mill would be okay as long as we invest it straight into another winger. That kind of money plus a little from MM would easily buy you a decent prem standard winger or even the top end of foreign leagues. But selling him would have to be with someone coming in, no point selling then looking around afterwards

Good deal considering he'll be behind Weimann & Ince in the pecking order.  On his day he's very good but surely someone we like will have to go for decent money to balance the books a little.  Better him than Martin or Hughes...

Unless Weimann is considered a striker, in which case Russell and Ince are our only 2 wingers...

I really hope we keep Johnny. On his day he's unplayable, he's worth keeping around.

Unplayable - are you serious Kernow? I really cannot fathom the myth that is JR.  

He really is no more that a mid to top 6 winger/forward in the Chump.  He works hard, he is likeable, and I am not up for selling him below his value, but I bet that if Ambitious reviewed his Match stats, or someone like NSR whose player ratings are usually there or thereabouts IMO, I bet over the last 2 years he has never got a 10, perhaps one or two 9s, and a good few 8s but the 9s and 8s would have only been when our other front players were getting high marks too. JR needs other players to play well to play well - you will never see him take a grip of a game and win it by himself. Unplayable - I'll give you unpredictable and that's about it.  And please please don't start me on his success rate on one-on-one chances with just a goalkeeper to beat.

Unplayable - are you serious Kernow?

I think when he is on form he can be fantastic and defenders can't deal with him. He doesn't always produce his best but he does have the qualities that make him a very valuable asset in this league.

Unplayable - are you serious Kernow? I really cannot fathom the myth that is JR.  

He really is no more that a mid to top 6 winger/forward in the Chump.  He works hard, he is likeable, and I am not up for selling him below his value, but I bet that if Ambitious reviewed his Match stats, or someone like NSR whose player ratings are usually there or thereabouts IMO, I bet over the last 2 years he has never got a 10, perhaps one or two 9s, and a good few 8s but the 9s and 8s would have only been when our other front players were getting high marks too. JR needs other players to play well to play well - you will never see him take a grip of a game and win it by himself. Unplayable - I'll give you unpredictable and that's about it.  And please please don't start me on his success rate on one-on-one chances with just a goalkeeper to beat.

I am a big JR fan yet I can't argue with your post I-Ram. I think it's the bursts of energy, the little bit of genius, the penalties he wins etc which make him a player I want to keep. He'd be in my team but you'd want more goals from him.

The problem  that our fans have is weve had no genuine quality players in a long time. In fact weve had some very mediocre players at best. For example David martin. 

Then along comes Johnny Russell who scores a few belters gives his absolute all whenever he pulls a shirt on and comes across as a very genuine young man. 

Combine the two above points and some fans take him to their hearts and can't abide anything other than glowing admiration. 

We also end up using the word 'legend' too much as I once heard someone claim Rob Hulse to be a Derby County Legend.

I hope we keep Johnny Russell but I have to agree with Mr I ram in that Johnny is good but isn't and won't really be great. 

I am a big JR fan yet I can't argue with your post I-Ram. I think it's the bursts of energy, the little bit of genius, the penalties he wins etc which make him a player I want to keep. He'd be in my team but you'd want more goals from him.

I am not such a big fan Rammieib, but I would keep him for the very same reasons you put in your first sentence. I like him too - I bet he really is a top bloke, and I always give him my full support at any matches I get too. But I do hope that if he is still with us come end of August that Weimann, Ince, and another Newby are ahead of him on the team sheet. If they are then we will have invested well, and will be progressing.

Archived