Paul Clement...

​If he jumps in and starts managing a Premier league team he is going to be straight into the media spotlight, if he starts failing the press will be all over him.

Just look at all the managers they have had in the past who have failed, they have had experience in Martin O'Neil and Steve Bruce, both failed, they have had young and new managers in Gus Poyet and Paolo Di Canio and both failed.

Why would Paul Clement start at his career at such a high risk job?

Add Roy Keane to the promising coaches Poyet and Di Canio who came a serious career cropper at Roker.  The problem Sunderland has in modern day football is where Sunderland is.  Not their fault, but they struggle to convince really good players to go up there.  Not a place to start a management career I would say. I think Dyche might be a good fit at Sunderland, but if he came to Derby I would not be glum - his teams are well organised, play with width, he tries to keep it on the ground. He hasn't though touched Ronaldo's knee as far as I can tell.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

from a piece in the guardian re Sunderland...

'...while the merits of pursuing Paul Clement have also been explored but considered problematic. Clement, who has spent the past two seasons working as Carlo Ancelotti’s No2 at Real Madrid, is believed to favour cutting his managerial teeth at Championship level and everything points to him succeeding McClaren at Derby, which is regarded as almost a done deal.'

Your showing the rams a disservice, i know im a rams fan but i don't think Sunderland are any bigger and better than us, ok yeah they are a prem side but they tend to fight against relegation each and every year, i will be sitting and supporting the boys through thick and thin and keep the negative thoughts to myself , well ok the missus might feel the wrath a touch.

from a piece in the guardian...

'...while the merits of pursuing Paul Clement have also been explored but considered problematic. Clement, who has spent the past two seasons working as Carlo Ancelotti’s No2 at Real Madrid, is believed to favour cutting his managerial teeth at Championship level and everything points to him succeeding McClaren at Derby, which is regarded as almost a done deal.'

​Hope that's true because it seems quite clear he's our first choice, and that we essentially sacked Mac for him. Would Mac have gone if Clement had already agreed a deal somewhere else? I don't know.

Would be a disaster for us if we've put all our eggs in one basket and it doesn't come off.

Add Roy Keane to the promising coaches Poyet and Di Canio who came a serious career cropper at Roker.  The problem Sunderland has in modern day football is where Sunderland is.  Not their fault, but they struggle to convince really good players to go up there.  Not a place to start a management career I would say. I think Dyche might be a good fit at Sunderland, but if he came to Derby I would not be glum - his teams are well organised, play with width, he tries to keep it on the ground. He hasn't though touched Ronaldo's knee as far as I can tell.

​Sunderland need manager like that, someone who can get 100% out of their players. Someone like Allardyce would be perfect, knows the division and knows how to keep teams up and would make Sunderland a solid mid table side, the last thing they need is to take risk with an inexperienced manager like Clement. 

I doubt Paul's thought processes are the same as our's. It'll all pan out in the next few days. We don't know what's gone on behind the scenes. Bear in mind he's been linked to Sunderland, Newcastle, QPR ( whilst they were in the Prem), West Ham, and even Arsenal. He already knew the option of a Premier League club would rear it's head.

​If he jumps in and starts managing a Premier league team he is going to be straight into the media spotlight, if he starts failing the press will be all over him.

Just look at all the managers they have had in the past who have failed, they have had experience in Martin O'Neil and Steve Bruce, both failed, they have had young and new managers in Gus Poyet and Paolo Di Canio and both failed.

Why would Paul Clement start his career at such a high risk job?

To answer your question, 

More money, better team, bigger league, bigger stadium, higher profile.

Just look at the list of managers that have come in to Derby and ended up with the sack:

John Gregory, Phil Brown, Billy Davis, Paul Jewell, Nigel Clough, Steve McClaren

None of the managers have managed at a level higher than Derby after they have left the club.

The list of managers that you gave, all still had there reputations in tact after departing Sunderland (or at least were able to go onto other Premiership jobs). 

So what if Clement is in the media spotlight. He's a football manager for gods sake. There are no shrinking violets in this industry. 

Clement would be foolish to turn down Sunderland.

I couldn't care less if he goes there quite frankly. I don't understand why we would want to move heaven and earth to bring in a manager with no managerial experience when there are some very high quality candidates currently on the market.

If it were a straight choice, it would show a distinct lack of ambition if he were to join Derby.

​That's not really true is it? He might see his career as being a lot more successful if he eases into it. No need to rush it.

And this is Sunderland we're talking about. It's not like they're too big to turn down.

Someone asked Owen Bradley earlier if the Sunderland links were a concern. His response:

Seen a couple of people saying there's been an issue, but that's not what I'm hearing. Should all be wrapped up early next week.

Sunderland would be a massive risk for him. High pressure in the biggest league with a squad that's just scraped to safety this season. At least we're as good as a ready made side capable of winning our league with a few minor adjustments and fresh ideas. Sunderland would require a massive overhaul if they're to be comfortably safe next season. Big ask for a man taking on his first mangerial role wouldn't you say.

I'm getting sick of these North East clubs.

Newcastle think they are entitled to our manager even though he is already employed; the wheels come off and we end up sacking him.

Middlesbrough beat us twice and pip us to the play offs

Sunderland planning to hijack our move for Clement.

I've nothing against Hartlepool though. Yet.

Not a chance he will go Sunderland. First managerial role wanting to make a name for himself Sunderland could easily tarnish his name, relegation fodder. Derby set up for a promotion push, money to be spent, arguably the easiest year for promotion with the three teams coming down from the Prem. On paper it looks a good name maker.

Archived