Paul Clement...

I question why people wouldn't think Sunderland would be an option for Clement?

• Fairly established Prem team
  • 35-40,000 gates every week
  • most likely £20m kitty to spend
  • Its the top league in the world

DCFC cannot offer any of the above, all I think is achieving promotion with Derby is easier than top ten with Sunderland. Also who wants to live in or near to Sunderland?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To answer your question, 

More money, better team, bigger league, bigger stadium, higher profile.

Just look at the list of managers that have come in to Derby and ended up with the sack:

John Gregory, Phil Brown, Billy Davis, Paul Jewell, Nigel Clough, Steve McClaren

None of the managers have managed at a level higher than Derby after they have left the club.

The list of managers that you gave, all still had there reputations in tact after departing Sunderland (or at least were able to go onto other Premiership jobs). 

So what if Clement is in the media spotlight. He's a football manager for gods sake. There are no shrinking violets in this industry. 

Clement would be foolish to turn down Sunderland.

I couldn't care less if he goes there quite frankly. I don't understand why we would want to move heaven and earth to bring in a manager with no managerial experience when there are some very high quality candidates currently on the market.

The list of managers I gave, the only ones who managed to get another job were Steve Bruce and Martin O'Neil, the experienced ones, the new up and coming managers such as Paolo and Gus have got 0 jobs since their sacking from Sunderland.

Get him on board asap and let's get some players signed up before they get snapped up too.

Had plenty of time to plan for Mcclarens departure so surely we are/have been in advanced talks with Clement or someone else.

if Sunderland come him after less than 24 hours and take him from under our noses, we will end up with Warburton or Rowett - none excite me in the slightest 

Paul Clement

The Real Madrid coach will make his first step into management this summer and he has already held talks with Derby County.

However, the 43-year-old has a good relationship with Congerton from their time working together at Chelsea.

Clement would fit the bill of head coach with continental knowledge which Sunderland are looking for, and would be willing to work within a structure beneath a director of football.

He does, though, lack managerial experience and Sunderland, having been saved from relegation by Advocaat, are well aware of just how important such know-how can be.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3100567/Paul-Clement-Steve-McClaren-David-Moyes-leading-candidates-vacant-Sunderland-manager-role-Dick-Advocaat-s-departure.html

PAUL CLEMENT is ready to sign a staggering £3 million-a-year contract with Derby County tomorrow — despite Sunderland’s late move for him.

Real Madrid number two Cement has decided to go with the ambitious Rams and the chance to build a side rather than head straight to the Premier League with the Black Cats.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/6477252/Clement-set-for-Rams-role.html?CMP=spklr-_-Editorial-_-TWITTER-_-TheSunNewspaper-_-20150528-_-Sport-_-185799515

PAUL CLEMENT is ready to sign a staggering £3 million-a-year contract with Derby County tomorrow — despite Sunderland’s late move for him.

Real Madrid number two Cement has decided to go with the ambitious Rams and the chance to build a side rather than head straight to the Premier League with the Black Cats.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/6477252/Clement-set-for-Rams-role.html?CMP=spklr-_-Editorial-_-TWITTER-_-TheSunNewspaper-_-20150528-_-Sport-_-185799515

Not concrete but at least ​Cement 

That's got to be BS surely. £3mil a year? That's nearly 60k a week!

I really cannot see that being the case, plus less than a week ago it was £2mil so why have we suddenly jumped up £1mil, nearly a 20k per week increase on previous figures.

Either the press have no idea, or we've shat ourselves over losing him to Sunderland and literally gave him a deal he couldn't refuse. I'd guess the former possibly but you never know.

Archived