Paul Clement...

​Thanks for sharing information.  Are you likely to have any funds available to invest in your squad this year? 

​There are some Sunderland supporters who suspect the reason Advocat has turned down the contract offered is he was told there would be very limited funds; but there are always those who believe the worst of our club and owner, though they might be right.

There will undoubtedly be funds but your guess would be as good as mine as to how much. Surely with the much talked of television deal it will be a larger kitty than in the last few seasons. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​In reply to you and TrueLou, no I've no inside knowledge. However, Congerton and Clement are apparently friends and former colleagues and Clement's name was being bandied about as a successor to Poyet before was sacked.

Other names are being mentioned, Allardyce and McClaren among them, but Clement would be an obvious choice, though to me a huge gamble. It could be that we get Clement, you get Dyche, and many of us would happily swap.

​Do us a favour and vocally express your displeasure at Clement and get everyone to endorse Dyche. If you could get a fan backlash, you'd really be getting us out of a bind. We'll do the same for you and express our displeasure should we be linked with Dyche.

Ta muchly my Mackem friend xox :kiss:

​Do us a favour and vocally express your displeasure at Clement and get everyone to endorse Dyche. If you could get a fan backlash, you'd really be getting us out of a bind. We'll do the same for you and express our displeasure should we be linked with Dyche.

Ta muchly my Mackem friend xox :kiss:

​Why don't you fancy Dyche? He has done a fantastic job so far in his managerial career. If he could take a rather average Burnley to automatic promotion to The Premier League I'd certainly back him, literally, to lead you to The Championship title next season. Clement is totally untested as a number one; he might be superb but Dyche is proven.

​Why don't you fancy Dyche? He has done a fantastic job so far in his managerial career. If he could take a rather average Burnley to automatic promotion to The Premier League I'd certainly back him, literally, to lead you to The Championship title next season. Clement is totally untested as a number one; he might be superb but Dyche is proven.

Someone from Real Madrid that has touched the knee of Ronaldo once sounds more exciting than someone from Burnley

​In reply to you and TrueLou, no I've no inside knowledge. However, Congerton and Clement are apparently friends and former colleagues and Clement's name was being bandied about as a successor to Poyet before was sacked.

Other names are being mentioned, Allardyce and McClaren among them, but Clement would be an obvious choice, though to me a huge gamble. It could be that we get Clement, you get Dyche, and many of us would happily swap.

You definitely have the edge with his mate being there, as he'll have the opportunity to sound him out on the prospect of working for you. But what if he's told him 'don't come here lad it's ****!' Ha!

If the rumours round here are true (hardly ever), we've been trying to seduce him since Newcastle have been seducing Mac, so we might be on the same timeline.

In any case, I hope you end up with someone you can live with. Congrats on your survival this season. I love **** Advocaat, I wish he was my dad.

​They weren't as average as was made out, trust me. The guy plays ugly ugly football that would not suit the playing staff we have (and we don't fancy the upheaval in the squad). I think he instils a strong work ethic in his players and a winning mentality, so his mental coaching is good. I just think we need to see improvement from some players, with the young side we have, rather than just "come on lads" because "come on lads" isn't enough. Clement is younger and has more to prove, and he has that in common with the squad.

Listen, I'd back him if he came here and he's not a bad choice by any stretch. Think after the last week or so, my heart is set on Clement. If he goes to you guys though, I'll be gracious in defeat and wish him well.

​There are some Sunderland supporters who suspect the reason Advocat has turned down the contract offered is he was told there would be very limited funds; but there are always those who believe the worst of our club and owner, though they might be right.

There will undoubtedly be funds but your guess would be as good as mine as to how much. Surely with the much talked of television deal it will be a larger kitty than in the last few seasons. 

​Trouble is ROKERITE, everybody else's kitty will increase as well so it'll just work out approximately the same as it is now, a 5 million quid player will become an 8 or 9 million one then the players are going to want a slice of that action, can't see much changing with the extra dough barring players getting more expensive and agents and players making more money than they do now. :( 

Once again proving my theory that mackems are king amongst football folk, never met one who's talked ******** yet!

Mind, I've only met 2 so far, but they were both cracking lads.

Christsake, he's gone from never heard of him to gutted he's not coming in a few days, or worse get lost you greedy sod, or even worse get the chequebook out and make sure he's ours before the saviour is poached by someone else.

We had Nigels replacement lined up before we got rid, and we'll have Mac's replacement signed and sealed too.

Clement i believe was offered the job on Monday evening- as there is no comment from either party he could be edging his bets, Sunderland are still interested and did make contract before DA arrived.

On the bright side think of the cash well save employing Dyce!

Clement i believe was offered the job on Monday evening- as there is no comment from either party he could be edging his bets, Sunderland are still interested and did make contract before DA arrived.

On the bright side think of the cash well save employing Dyce!

It would save me some cash ringing his gravelly voiced chat line,  free Dyche on RamsPlayer,  yes please!

I don't know why he would take the Sunderland job. He is starting his career off as managing so why would he jump into the deep end with Sunderland where he could be potentially fighting relegation and be at high risk at losing his job. 

If he joins Derby he gets a lower risk job where he wont have the constant threat of relegation. No offence to Sunderland, but I just don't see why he would join them. 

I don't know why he would take the Sunderland job. He is starting his career off as managing so why would he jump into the deep end with Sunderland where he could be potentially fighting relegation and be at high risk at losing his job. 

If he joins Derby he gets a lower risk job where he wont have the constant threat of relegation. No offence to Sunderland, but I just don't see why he would join them. 

Let me give you a few reasons:

More money, better team, bigger league, bigger stadium, higher profile.

If it were a straight choice, it would show a distinct lack of ambition if he were to join Derby.

If it were a straight choice, it would show a distinct lack of ambition if he were to join Derby.

Why would it? He's previously stated in the past that he doesn't want to jump in the deep end straight away. Remember, he's never managed before - ever. Would be very risky and could hamper his reputation permanently 

​If Clement is a big risk for the Championship then it stands to reason that he's an even bigger risk for the Premier League.  Dyche has top league experience, he was close to keeping Burnley up, well kinda and you have to figure that he will have learned something and will do much better next time.   It's agreed then, you get Dyche and we will take Clement, everyone happy, yeah?

​If he jumps in and starts managing a Premier league team he is going to be straight into the media spotlight, if he starts failing the press will be all over him.

Just look at all the managers they have had in the past who have failed, they have had experience in Martin O'Neil and Steve Bruce, both failed, they have had young and new managers in Gus Poyet and Paolo Di Canio and both failed.

Why would Paul Clement start his career at such a high risk job?

Archived