Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

You couldn't make a case for Parker winning the fight. He looked like a decent boxer, but the size difference between the two and AJ's range meant he always looked like he was on the defensive.

Judges score fights for different reasons, and they would have favoured AJ for being more aggressive and dominating the centre of the ring. The referee didn't allow a close-up fight, meant AJ could just win rounds using his range.

Everybody in world boxing wants to see AJ vs Wilder. It's highly likely that played a role too when it came to the scorecards. 

6 minutes ago, McLovin said:

My man fury if fully fit and motivated would beat Joshua(provided that the judges aren’t on joshua’s side).

Now thats a fight. Can Tyson bob and weave to protect his dodgy jaw from Joshua's power? 

AJ vs Fury doesn't get me excited. Fury is a technical boxer, who'll just shoulder role and jab all night. They won't engage, it'll probably be even duller than this one in terms of power punches.

At least with Wilder you'd expect him to come out swinging. He can't do technical boxing that guy.

22 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Terrible decision. I had Parker winning by at least 3 rounds but the scorecards are embarrassing. You have to feel for Parker. The boxing powers that be are desperate for the Joshua-wilder fight

Which rounds did you have Parker winning, out of interest? I don't see Parker winning any of the first 4, or the last 3. So not sure how you have Parker by 3 rounds.

1 minute ago, CWC1983 said:

Now thats a fight. Can Tyson bob and weave to protect his dodgy jaw from Joshua's power? 

Fury beat a younger Klitschko IN Germany with everyone against him. Fury would be more than fine against AJ. AJ has improved technically but as seen tonight, he can get frustrated against opponents who are clever and are awkward which Fury would be(who would have a height advantage too).

Aj is better technically than Wilder but Wilder is an animal and thrives of hurting opponents, adding an unpredictability factor. He even said he wants to kill an opponent in the ring one day.

Just now, Andicis said:

Which rounds did you have Parker winning, out of interest? I don't see Parker winning any of the first 4, or the last 3. So not sure how you have Parker by 3 rounds.

I had Joshua winning the first couple but Parker winning the majority of the middle rounds. We can debate about this all night long but the score cards are diabolical and did not reflect the fight at all. The referee also killed any momentum in the fight, even the American commentators said this referee did not have a clue and did not deserve to be the ring and wanted to make it about himself. Pauli was laughing at him throughout the fight because he was so bad. Parker was screwed over tonight.

Just now, McLovin said:

The referee also killed any momentum in the fight, even the American commentators said this referee did not have a clue and did not deserve to be the ring and wanted to make it about himself.

I absolutely agree with this, really spoiled the momentum of the fight and made it quite lacklustre. I wanted him to just let it flow more instead of frequently getting so involved, it was a real shame.

10 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

You couldn't make a case for Parker winning the fight. He looked like a decent boxer, but the size difference between the two and AJ's range meant he always looked like he was on the defensive.

Judges score fights for different reasons, and they would have favoured AJ for being more aggressive and dominating the centre of the ring. The referee didn't allow a close-up fight, meant AJ could just win rounds using his range.

Everybody in world boxing wants to see AJ vs Wilder. It's highly likely that played a role too when it came to the scorecards. 

Completely disagree, for me Parker was in control of the fight but as you say, the judges prefer people to be offensive. The scorecards are a complete embarrassment though.

He wont beat a fully fit fury but depends if fury can comeback after the layoff,

i think even the david haye of 5-6 years ago beats AJ on that performance.

I think AJ looked better when he was a bit more wild and inexperianced it was a terrible fight tonight & made worse by the ref 

Find it an interesting fight. Thought Parker had all the skills to avoid getting hit with the right hand but had very little to win with

At the start he looked confused that his jab was being dismissed like an annoying fly. 

Joshua seems to struggle in those middle rounds and Parker came back briefly but Joshua recovered well for the late rounds. 

Parker negated the counter right and uppercut by constantly dipping to his right. Joshua had joy with the left hook but barely used it!!! 

Don't see the major problem with the ref. A bit picky but I don't think he denied us anything. 

I had it 9-3. 

Can not for the life of me see how Parker could be given 6 rounds for even the draw. He didn't complain and accepted the defeat.

Can't see any criticism with Joshua. He was up against a guy who ducked and dived. He should have left hooked more but it was an easy points win. 

I guess when you get to this level of great people want to tear you down rather than celebrate an elite fighter and Brit Champion. 

He got the job done. Britain adds another belt. Fook Vegas!! 

I love Fury. I think him and Joshua would be a dull fight for any casual expecting fireworks.

It'd be a tactical jab competition.

But I do feel Joshua has had the tougher fights and the way people talk you'd think it's Fury. 

Fury has become defined by 1 fight. It's like Cunningham never dropped him!! 

As for Wilder... out classed by Szpilka, Washington and Ortiz had him in all kinds of trouble. Molina rocked him. He fought Gavern in what number fight? And Joshua fought him? 

These are all elite. But it's easy to forget they've all been in the **** at some point.

21 fights, 4 belts, Molina, Wlad, Parker all beaten. Joshua should not have to defend his record to anyone. 

51 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I love Fury. I think him and Joshua would be a dull fight for any casual expecting fireworks.

It'd be a tactical jab competition.

But I do feel Joshua has had the tougher fights and the way people talk you'd think it's Fury. 

Fury has become defined by 1 fight. It's like Cunningham never dropped him!! 

As for Wilder... out classed by Szpilka, Washington and Ortiz had him in all kinds of trouble. Molina rocked him. He fought Gavern in what number fight? And Joshua fought him? 

These are all elite. But it's easy to forget they've all been in the **** at some point.

21 fights, 4 belts, Molina, Wlad, Parker all beaten. Joshua should not have to defend his record to anyone. 

AJ’s resume is miles better than any other heavyweight out there.

He’s beaten Klitschko, Parker and Whyte. Three you’d put in the top seven in the world.

I’d like him to beat Povetkin next. He’s mandatory anyway, but it will only add to his resume.

Then there is only really Wilder left of active heavyweights worth beating.

Had Joshua 8-4. 

First 4 all AJ, 5 and 6 Parker and can't remember the rounds exactly but maybe the 8th and 10th was it? Other than that, Joshua came out of it without so much as a scratch.

Would love Fury to get back up to it as soon as possible to see if Joshua really has the ability to out-box someone. Yes his power is fantastic, but has struggled in the middle rounds in last 3 fights. Let's see someone test him.

I think i'm in the minority but I want to see AJ v Wilder in Vegas - just for the glamour. Hearn seemed to be talking up a UK meeting though.

The Price knockout was brutal.

17 hours ago, Norman said:

Come on then @CWC1983, @Alpha, @coneheadjohn, @Ted McMinn Football Genius, @Bris Vegas and anyone else i've forgotten.

We've seen them both come in lighter, Parker has had elbow operations and by all reports is punching hard, although I believe he is giving away a 9 inch reach. What round number and winner are we going for?

Joshua on points for me.

Apologies @Norman didn’t have my phone with me. 

If it helps I bet on AJ to win in rounds 10-12

Agree with what was been said about Joshua v Fury. It would be boring to watch for the casual but in terms of tactics, it would be fascinating to see how Joshua would cope with him. Fury can hit you from anywhere with his long reach. He’s rather unorthodox but then again, so is Wilder(who has no technique in my opinion). I really think that Joshua would struggle with Fury if Fury is at the top of his game.