Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

15 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Yeah, I think the guy didn't fancy it as soon as a right hook took him in the temple during the opening minute. Body shots looked heavy.

The KO punch didn't look THAT heavy. Reckon he was looking for an exit? 

His first fight was more impressive. He cruised past Lewison. Really beat him up and it could have been stopped earlier. 

For some reason Hughie Fury is fighting Sexton for the British title. Dave Allen fights soon for the commonwealth and you've got Chisora and Dubois that are probably sticking on the domestic circuit for this year. 

Some good scraps could be made. 

Im maybe not giving Joyce enough credit given its only his 2nd pro fight. 

Off topic, I was in a Derbyshire pub last Sunday and from afar I saw a poster promoting a Clifton Mitchell promotion at the Derby arena. I forgot to look at the detail before I left but cant find anything online. 

23 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

Im maybe not giving Joyce enough credit given its only his 2nd pro fight. 

Off topic, I was in a Derbyshire pub last Sunday and from afar I saw a poster promoting a Clifton Mitchell promotion at the Derby arena. I forgot to look at the detail before I left but cant find anything online. 

Ultra White Collar is coming up. It might be that event? It's not at the arena though.

They have a promising Asian lad but I can't remember his name. Could be to do with him?

And then there's Zach Parker who is the Derbyshire boxer fighting on the Groves undercard. 

Eubank could not do what he needed to do. Maybe he needs a coach. Unfortunate bang of heads didnt help with regards to the cut.

Credit to Groves. 

Styles did not produce the fight everyone was hoping for. Bit like Sky's Super Sundays, but you only see one goal all afternoon :lol:

Maybe it will be the other semi final that produces the fight we were all hoping for.

I didn't find the fight boring. It never really exploded but being on the edge like that was exciting. Plus it was exactly the right approach for Groves. Why brawl when you have the class?

I found it boring ITV claiming the up close fighting suited Jnr. He lost the inside work too! Groves was rolling and ducking and man handling him most the time. The rest of the time he was answering shot for shot. He was stronger, far more skilful and I thought he scored a knockdown. I think he could have taken him out too. Should have. 

I thought Walsh beat Lowe. The draw was a bit of an easy way out for what would have been a unrewarding ending for Lowe's great efforts. But Walsh snuck it.

Jnr Could be an exceptional fighter. His discipline, his prep, his physique and arrogance are all great. 

But it's the stunts and the Dad. Stupid stunts and a Dad who is trying to showboat through a very dangerous sport. He can't help him in the corner. He's been there purely for show. And when Jnr  needs help then what's he got? What is his back up plan? 

Before he goes in at this level again he needs to ditch the Dad. Stop being a celebrity. 

The production of these Super Series shows is amazing

5 live Bunce and Costello podcast this morning pretty much saying father and son need to split up.

At the press conference Eubank senior saying that Jnr didn't listen to a word of advice during the fight. 

Talksport had Bellew, McGrory and John Rawlings doing the live coverage.

It was a really good listen as they covered all upcoming fights at home and abroad. 

All 3 of them are concerned for Joshua if he fights Wilder.    

4 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

5 live Bunce and Costello podcast this morning pretty much saying father and son need to split up.

At the press conference Eubank senior saying that Jnr didn't listen to a word of advice during the fight. 

Talksport had Bellew, McGrory and John Rawlings doing the live coverage.

It was a really good listen as they covered all upcoming fights at home and abroad. 

All 3 of them are concerned for Joshua if he fights Wilder.    

I would think Joshua could box Wilder's head off for 12 rounds. But he might be best pacing himself and trying to win it on points. 

Show him the same respect he showed Wlad and I think it's an easier fight. Come in slow and heavy like v Takam or come for a brawl like v Whyte and he just gives Wilder a bigger chance. 

Eubank Snr.. I thought Jnr didn't need advice? I thought the only concern was that Groves might get seriously hurt if the ref didn't end it? 

How quiet was that corner for the middle rounds?

They did the showboating prep talk early on. And at the end I heard "knock him out. You don't need to look good" 

Totally unprepared and disrespectful. Got what they deserved. 2 rounds. 3 at best

7 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Callum Smith v Groves final. 

Smith falls asleep during fights. Needs to be more spiteful

Only one winner for me. 

Wilder v Ortiz? Might be a shock there.

Kell Brook too next weekend.

Edited by Norman

On 25/02/2018 at 17:57, Norman said:

Only one winner for me. 

Wilder v Ortiz? Might be a shock there.

Kell Brook too next weekend.

Reckon it will be a boring fight don't you? Groves v Smith. Two jabbers and the one that does force the issue has a height disadvantage 

Smith bores me a bit. He does some great boxing and then falls back on the jab and let's opponents off the hook.

The only thing about Ortiz is his mobility. How old is he really? No way is he under 40. I'm not buying that. Can take a punch, has the power to do Wilder but can he keep up with him?

I wonder which Kell Brook we'll get? Think he may have lost his way a bit? GGG hurt him and Spence was a level above. Brook quitting in that fight... do you think he will have that desire to go through brick walls to win? 

On 26/02/2018 at 22:03, Alpha said:

Reckon it will be a boring fight don't you? Groves v Smith. Two jabbers and the one that does force the issue has a height disadvantage 

Smith bores me a bit. He does some great boxing and then falls back on the jab and let's opponents off the hook.

The only thing about Ortiz is his mobility. How old is he really? No way is he under 40. I'm not buying that. Can take a punch, has the power to do Wilder but can he keep up with him?

I wonder which Kell Brook we'll get? Think he may have lost his way a bit? GGG hurt him and Spence was a level above. Brook quitting in that fight... do you think he will have that desire to go through brick walls to win? 

Yep, boring, the full 12 rounds with Groves winning a tight points decision. Boxing styles don't seem to go very well together. But you never know.

Goerge Groves has nearly had as many rounds as Ortiz and Wilder put together.

There's going to be a knock out! I fancy Ortiz in the early rounds to land some big shots. Then we will see about Wilder and his chin. Not sure he can windmill his way to a win here either lol.

Brook worried me in the last fight. I know why he quit and it made sense with his eyesight and future etc, but to win at that level you see other boxers taking far bigger risks. And he didnt want to stop againt GGG....they had to throw the towel in.

I think both fights are free on Sky. Might stay up for Wilder v Ortiz if its on time. 2am will mean more like 3.

Can only see Wilder beating Ortiz by KO fairly comfortably.

Brook's a strange one. I had him winning at least four of their first six rounds against Spence. Whether he gassed or was hurt, it was bizarre to see Spence thoroughly dominate him for the next few rounds after.

Groves is the number one in the super middleweight division. Reckon he will beat Smith on points.

There aren't too many fights on the horizon I'm particularly looking forward to. We're seemingly at that lull stage where a number of boxers need one more 'tune up' fight before going in to a blockbuster.

Would love to see Lomachenko destroy Gervonta Davis.

23 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Can only see Wilder beating Ortiz by KO fairly comfortably.

Brook's a strange one. I had him winning at least four of their first six rounds against Spence. Whether he gassed or was hurt, it was bizarre to see Spence thoroughly dominate him for the next few rounds after.

Groves is the number one in the super middleweight division. Reckon he will beat Smith on points.

There aren't too many fights on the horizon I'm particularly looking forward to. We're seemingly at that lull stage where a number of boxers need one more 'tune up' fight before going in to a blockbuster.

Would love to see Lomachenko destroy Gervonta Davis.

Davis doesn't want it does he? Or Floyd doesn't want him to. Doesn't look good for the Lomachenko v Linares fight either. 

I thought the year had a good start! 

20 hours ago, Alpha said:

Davis doesn't want it does he? Or Floyd doesn't want him to. Doesn't look good for the Lomachenko v Linares fight either. 

I thought the year had a good start! 

Linares.  Now there's a fighter I could watch all night.

A week late to comment, however I watched a few bouts on the BT sport card last week and the Ronnie Clark v Zelpha Barrett fight was a classic. 

Big upset seeing Clark win, but his experience helped. Mind you, he's got a bit of a ropey past.......

Next up was Daniel Dubois, his opponent was ex army and game. Dubois didnt impress, im not convinced the Warren stable has a genuine heavyweight contender with him.

They were also talking up Nathan Gorman, but blimey, talk about out of shape and labouring to a win.....

On to tomorrow and Kel Brook.  It seems to have passed the mainstream press over. Lets see if he still has the desire if he takes a few decent shots. 

2 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

A week late to comment, however I watched a few bouts on the BT sport card last week and the Ronnie Clark v Zelpha Barrett fight was a classic. 

Big upset seeing Clark win, but his experience helped. Mind you, he's got a bit of a ropey past.......

Next up was Daniel Dubois, his opponent was ex army and game. Dubois didnt impress, im not convinced the Warren stable has a genuine heavyweight contender with him.

They were also talking up Nathan Gorman, but blimey, talk about out of shape and labouring to a win.....

On to tomorrow and Kel Brook.  It seems to have passed the mainstream press over. Lets see if he still has the desire if he takes a few decent shots. 

I saw the Yarde and Dubois fights.

Dubois managed to win by a 3rd round KO and his reputation would have actually gone down. He struggled massively with such a obvious and poorly executed smother tactic. DL Jones had heart and chin but wow he looked poor. Dubois being mentioned in the same sentence as Joshua at the minute is unbelievable and yet the media are on it.

Yarde isn't being tested enough imo. Boring mismatches by Warren 

Never seen Gorman. He's not very good then? 

Rooting for Dave Allen tomorrow. Commonwealth title shot 2.