Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

Next week I'm calling Parker to be the first to go the distance with Joshua. 

I think he loses most rounds, they complain they were robbed, he walks away with pride, maybe calls for a rematch. 

I like Parker. But I don't think he'll pressure AJ. 

Just watched ‘The Gloves Are Off’ on Skysports with AJ, JP & JN. 

Very interesting indeed, AJ was cool as a cucumber and JP had a moment where his body language gave him away. 

When AJ asked JP directly to tell him that he is going to knock him out there was a brief couple of blinks before responding. This alone is why I feel that even JP doesn’t truly believe he can beat AJ. 

There’s also a level of aggression in AJ that I’ve not seen at this stage before too. In the ring he switches it on, but on this showing i believe him when he says in AJs words “I’m going to punish him”. This is going to be his most brutal performance to date. 

And I can’t wait, absolutely love boxing ? great sport. 

AJ looked overweight and quite sloppy against Takam. I think he's conditioned himself well for this fight, as he knows he's in there with a well-respected opponent who looks like he has some boxing nous about him.

I don't think Parker will be able to KO him. He didn't really look like knocking out Hughie Fury, who by all means looks like a big soft teddy bear incapable of causing any real damage with his punches.

Parker knew this and just went aggressive on him, knowing he can take Fury's best shots. But he didn't really set himself up for any punishing shots. 

I'll go with Alpha's prediction. Parker will try and outbox him, come up short quite comfortably but manage to make it to the final bell. Wide AJ points decision, like 119-109, 118-110 or something like that.

On 27/03/2018 at 00:59, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Just watched ‘The Gloves Are Off’ on Skysports with AJ, JP & JN. 

Very interesting indeed, AJ was cool as a cucumber and JP had a moment where his body language gave him away. 

When AJ asked JP directly to tell him that he is going to knock him out there was a brief couple of blinks before responding. This alone is why I feel that even JP doesn’t truly believe he can beat AJ. 

There’s also a level of aggression in AJ that I’ve not seen at this stage before too. In the ring he switches it on, but on this showing i believe him when he says in AJs words “I’m going to punish him”. This is going to be his most brutal performance to date. 

And I can’t wait, absolutely love boxing ? great sport. 

You see the face off at yesterday's conference?

Joshua was different. He sort of leaned over Parker and held the stare beyond the break before walking away looking like he'd scored a victory. While Parker was tending his jaw. 

If you go back to the Wlad fight there's footage of Parker watching it in a bar with Kevin Barry and others. It's a very interesting to watch his reactions. 

I don't think Parker has as much confidence as his team claims. I believe they want the fight. But I just think he's coming to survive, collect the money, survival will boost his profile.

I think he sees that while the Takam fight shows Joshua isn't 100% every fight it's also kicked him into gear for this fight. I think he'd be facing a weaker Joshua if Joshua had actually got rid of Takam quickly. 

And as for all this "Joshua has been hurt, I haven't".... well if you've never been in trouble then you've probably never taken risks. How many heavyweights don't get caught? They all get clipped

Come on then @CWC1983, @Alpha, @coneheadjohn, @Ted McMinn Football Genius, @Bris Vegas and anyone else i've forgotten.

We've seen them both come in lighter, Parker has had elbow operations and by all reports is punching hard, although I believe he is giving away a 9 inch reach. What round number and winner are we going for?

Joshua on points for me.

8 minutes ago, Norman said:

Come on then @CWC1983, @Alpha, @coneheadjohn, @Ted McMinn Football Genius, @Bris Vegas and anyone else i've forgotten.

We've seen them both come in lighter, Parker has had elbow operations and by all reports is punching hard, although I believe he is giving away a 9 inch reach. What round number and winner are we going for?

Joshua on points for me.

Joshua on points but to score a knockdown. Early - mid fight knockdown that Parker just survives.

All fights to go to the favourites. AJ, Povetkin, Kelly, Crolla, Buatsi aaaaand I've forgot who else is on :(

7 minutes ago, Norman said:

Joshua on points for me.

I’m thinking about it...errrrr??

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Joshua on points but to score a knockdown. Early - mid fight knockdown that Parker just survives.

All fights to go to the favourites. AJ, Povetkin, Kelly, Crolla, Buatsi aaaaand I've forgot who else is on :(

Povetkin off of the drugs. Price has the hands, but not the chin....it's the only underdog I fancy. Wouldn't put money on it, though :lol:

1 hour ago, Norman said:

Joshua on points for me.

Nights like this is exactly why Boxing is such an exciting sport. We all know what should happen but theres always the 1 punch that can change things.  

Common sense says Joshua in the later rounds after his power and jab wears Parker down........however, 

Theres something about Parker in the build up that I like, and I think he might rattle AJ. Wouldnt be surprised if Parker decided to test AJ's chin in the early rounds.  

Can AJ resist the temptation to go all out and get it over quickly if he hurts Parker early? 

Decision time........Joshua in round 5. Round 1 feeling each other out then all out slug fest.  It'll make good tv. 

The undercard? Id love to see David Price beat Povetkin but highly unlikely. He's had some fall from grace but Steve Bunce has written a good article about him today. Price basically admits he's been brought in as a patsy tonight, but every underdog has his day. 

1 hour ago, CWC1983 said:

Nights like this is exactly why Boxing is such an exciting sport. We all know what should happen but theres always the 1 punch that can change things.  

Common sense says Joshua in the later rounds after his power and jab wears Parker down........however, 

Theres something about Parker in the build up that I like, and I think he might rattle AJ. Wouldnt be surprised if Parker decided to test AJ's chin in the early rounds.  

Can AJ resist the temptation to go all out and get it over quickly if he hurts Parker early? 

Decision time........Joshua in round 5. Round 1 feeling each other out then all out slug fest.  It'll make good tv. 

The undercard? Id love to see David Price beat Povetkin but highly unlikely. He's had some fall from grace but Steve Bunce has written a good article about him today. Price basically admits he's been brought in as a patsy tonight, but every underdog has his day. 

If Price wins he automatically jumps to top three contender in three different boxing organisations, and I think the mandatory for one of them. It's the chance of a lifetime for him, and I hope he pulls it off.

Talksport commentary for me. John Rawlings and Glen McGrory. 

Something special about boxing on the radio, I remember Bruno v Wetherspoon, Froch v Kessler mk2, Calzaghe v Kessler, Haye v Marmeck etc. Im too tight to pay box office......