Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

5 hours ago, tomsdubs said:

GGG looked aged vs Canelo and he'll be nearly a year older should they fight. 36 yr old GGG vs 28/29 yr old fleet footed BJS would be very interesting. I think BJS finds Canelo an easier fight just because Canelo is fairly static and isn't as good at cutting the ring as GGG. Still waiting for them to confirm the GGG vs Canelo rematch but I think Saunders might get the winner.

They were saying GGG doesn't want to be inactive for long so may go for Saunders as the fight would happen sooner. Either way some more great fights down the line.

As you say, GGG would cut the ring off much better than Lemieux ever could. He was terrible at it, allowing BJS to just walk to his right everytime they got close. Made him look like an amateur.

GGG is still the best in the division by some way for me.

BJS is a hypocrite, claiming GGG was only calling him out while he was overweight and sloppy.

More like BJS is now calling GGG out because he has aged and gone through Jacobs and Canelo in his last two fights. Two years ago BJS wouldn’t have lasted six rounds with Golovkin.

11 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

As you say, GGG would cut the ring off much better than Lemieux ever could. He was terrible at it, allowing BJS to just walk to his right everytime they got close. Made him look like an amateur.

GGG is still the best in the division by some way for me.

BJS is a hypocrite, claiming GGG was only calling him out while he was overweight and sloppy.

More like BJS is now calling GGG out because he has aged and gone through Jacobs and Canelo in his last two fights. Two years ago BJS wouldn’t have lasted six rounds with Golovkin.

Agree with all that. 

If GGG can pin down Canelo after a few rounds then he can get BJS. Lemieux's team were constantly calling for him to work the body but he couldn't get near enough. GGG will certainly do so and BJS will have to engage more to escape. He's got a nice jab though and respectable power so it would make it good viewing to see how he escapes. 

His point about GGG calling him out is daft. He called him out as soon as he cleared up the belts and Canelo vacated. The fight wasn't on so he accepted Eubank Jnr prizefight. That fight didn't happen so it was Brook. Then the regular champion Jacobs. He got the Canelo fight what? A year after chasing it? I think it's pretty clear he's not scared of taking risks. He just wants big fights. Has there ever been a time where it could be even considered that he swerved someone? He's wants your world title, not your name! When he called BJS out it certainly wasn't for the money or name. 

I think Jacobs could still have a big say. He doesn't seem to fancy the GGG fight too strongly but he's up for BJS. Now let's see if Saunders fancies that. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Okolie v Chamberlain on Sat. Great match up. Okolie the hyped up banger and Chamberlain the less spectacular technician.

The dislike seems genuine. More so from Okolie who seems to want headlines. But this goes back months. 

I think and hope Chamberlain wins this. Seems like a nice lad who quietly goes about his work. 

Okolie just wants to bang people out. Lanky and powerful he looks pretty intimidating but he's always looking to be spectacular. Reckon he'll start fast and get broken down 

• 2 weeks later...

Groves v Jnr on Sat. Derby lad on the undercard

Very interesting fight. Predict fast start from Jnr before Groves starts landing body shots. That'll slow him down.

Ending... either Groves on points or some "injury" preventing Jnr from finishing. Love to see him knocked out though.

My mates all going for a Eubank win. 

16 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Groves v Jnr on Sat. Derby lad on the undercard

Very interesting fight. Predict fast start from Jnr before Groves starts landing body shots. That'll slow him down.

Ending... either Groves on points or some "injury" preventing Jnr from finishing. Love to see him knocked out though.

My mates all going for a Eubank win. 

I'm going for Eubank. 

But if Groves can land the body shots and get his jab going, he will stop Eubank.

I just don't think the jab will get going because of jrs workrate. So i don' t think Groves will be able to set his power shots up so easily. 

Eubank on points.

A proper, classy 50/50 with 2 different, but entertaining styles. Can't wait. Who'd have thought such big fights would happen on ITV box office this time last year? The Eubanks and ITV have played a blinder there.

1 hour ago, Norman said:

I'm going for Eubank. 

But if Groves can land the body shots and get his jab going, he will stop Eubank.

I just don't think the jab will get going because of jrs workrate. So i don' t think Groves will be able to set his power shots up so easily. 

Eubank on points.

A proper, classy 50/50 with 2 different, but entertaining styles. Can't wait. Who'd have thought such big fights would happen on ITV box office this time last year? The Eubanks and ITV have played a blinder there.

I wonder if the Eubanks had this tournament in their plans when going to ITV? Or did they really think Jnr could get viewers on his own and then luckily the tournament came along?

Groves has a great jab but it couldn't keep Chudinov away. How does Chudinov's chin compare with Jnr's though?

I agree that Jnr will overwhelm the jab and I can see Groves getting hit a lot. But he's tough. I think he'll take it and the Jnr will get a proper test of everything. Has he got the power? How does his workrate stand when he's getting hit back and ultimately does he have a tougher head than Chudinov. 

He'll be unbearable if he wins you know? Callum Smith is so hot and cold that Jnr could quite probably go on and win the tournament. With Badou Jack going up a weight  (and what a fight he's gone for!!!) then Jnr could dominate the division.

That's if he's good enough to beat Groves. 

I really hope he isn't. As entertaining as his style is I'd like to see him retreat to middleweight and fight BJS. 

7 minutes ago, DC-1975 said:

Can you get ITV Box Office through a Sky Box, or is it just streamed?

It seems to be fairly split with the 'experts' as to who will win this.

I've only seen Eubank fight once and that was against Saunders, so I can't really predict this one.

On 17 February, 2018, ITV Box Office (EPG 493) is showing the George Groves vs Chris Eubank Jr fight. The event will be available to purchase for existing customers through your Sky remote from 10 February, 2018. New customers are required to register at itvboxoffice.com and can purchase the event online from 31 January, 2018.

Whether you're a Sky or non-Sky customer, if you are a new ITV Box Office customer, the onlyway to buy the event is to visit itvboxoffice.com.  https://www.sky.com/help/articles/itv-box-office-event-george-groves-v-chris-eubank-jr

13 hours ago, Alpha said:

I wonder if the Eubanks had this tournament in their plans when going to ITV? Or did they really think Jnr could get viewers on his own and then luckily the tournament came along?

Groves has a great jab but it couldn't keep Chudinov away. How does Chudinov's chin compare with Jnr's though?

I agree that Jnr will overwhelm the jab and I can see Groves getting hit a lot. But he's tough. I think he'll take it and the Jnr will get a proper test of everything. Has he got the power? How does his workrate stand when he's getting hit back and ultimately does he have a tougher head than Chudinov. 

He'll be unbearable if he wins you know? Callum Smith is so hot and cold that Jnr could quite probably go on and win the tournament. With Badou Jack going up a weight  (and what a fight he's gone for!!!) then Jnr could dominate the division.

That's if he's good enough to beat Groves. 

I really hope he isn't. As entertaining as his style is I'd like to see him retreat to middleweight and fight BJS. 

I think it was all a ploy. They had to do test events. And whilst everyone mocked ITV for the price, and the fights put on (no undercard, billed as title fights), I think looking back it was testing for this tournament. And i bet Jr only entered when the tournament hokders agreed to ITV box office showing it. 

Meanwhile he picked up a belt from Matalan, as Saunders would say, and tried to attract casuals by going on Loose Women etc. All through ITV shows aswell. Mutaully beneficial.

He will be a multi millionairre if he wins this fight. And ITV will be challenging BT and SKY. I expect to see some free fights put on Saturday nights, too. Maybe they will use Haye's new company? Maybe Joe Joyce and try to turn him into a PPV fighter.

Froch has said his head is hard from previous spars, but they had head guards on so we won't know until his jaw rattles. But he's been hit a lot due to his style, and everyone can hit at that level, and i've never seen him wobble or look hurt.

I'm worried for Groves. He marks easily. If he's getting hit a lot, he might still be there and fine, but will he swell around the eyes etc? 

He needs to knock Jr inside 6 to win, in my opinion. And he could, quite easily. Jr is open, his chin is there. So are the shots to the body. 

I just don't think he will land many. He only throws when he knows he will hit. Hes going to have to throw more than that I think, just to keep Jr off him. So KO before 6 or gasses badly because of the work he is being made to do and loses on points.

You not looking forward to the arrogant posturing after he KOs Groves. 

Edited by Norman

43 minutes ago, Norman said:

I think it was all a ploy. They had to do test events. And whilst everyone mocked ITV for the price, and the fights put on (no undercard, billed as title fights), I think looking back it was testing for this tournament. And i bet Jr only entered when the tournament hokders agreed to ITV box office showing it. 

Meanwhile he picked up a belt from Matalan, as Saunders would say, and tried to attract casuals by going on Loose Women etc. All through ITV shows aswell. Mutaully beneficial.

He will be a multi millionairre if he wins this fight. And ITV will be challenging BT and SKY. I expect to see some free fights put on Saturday nights, too. Maybe they will use Haye's new company? Maybe Joe Joyce and try to turn him into a PPV fighter.

Froch has said his head is hard from previous spars, but they had head guards on so we won't know until his jaw rattles. But he's been hit a lot due to his style, and everyone can hit at that level, and i've never seen him wobble or look hurt.

I'm worried for Groves. He marks easily. If he's getting hit a lot, he might still be there and fine, but will he swell around the eyes etc? 

He needs to knock Jr inside 6 to win, in my opinion. And he could, quite easily. Jr is open, his chin is there. So are the shots to the body. 

I just don't think he will land many. He only throws when he knows he will hit. Hes going to have to throw more than that I think, just to keep Jr off him. So KO before 6 or gasses badly because of the work he is being made to do and loses on points.

You not looking forward to the arrogant posturing after he KOs Groves. 

Isn't HayeMaker signed up to Dave? Or is is just show by show basis?

Not just the posturing but I think he's found a bit of an exploit by going up a weight. All the great fights are at middle. I can see 12-18 months of his deluded boasting if he dominates this weight. And if he can beat Groves then he probably will dominate. 

All his "leaked" fairy tales. His "We don't own white towels". Questions DeGale's ability and calls Grove arrogant for daring to step in the ring with him.

Knob head. Your biggest fight is a loss to BJS. Your world title was taken from who? Quidditch? I dunno. Some bloke who had a belt and nothing else to bargain with.

He's calling out GGG, BJS, Groves, DeGale. These guys between them have beaten him, won titles, been in brutal fights, fought super fights and signed contracts to fight Jnr and he rejected them.

If he beats Groves then some of his boasting has been justified. Some. He's still deluded.

Great style to watch though. 

57 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Here's a video of me being held back by my Dad.

I've not got a trainer because I can't be taught anything new

I agree with you. Ronnie has to be his coach though, surely? 

He's too old to hold the pads, but i dont buy this whole "i'm the water carrier" business. 

Who arranges the sparring times, the money exchanged and finds the oponents etc? It must be Ronnie. Jr may be very self motivating, so doesn't need a training regime or constant monitoring. I think that might be more it.

But then Ronnie hasn't really coached anyone other than Sr at this level, has he? 

And the lad on the pads is just a mate who he taught how to hold the pads. Not knocking that, i'm sure he knows what he's doing by now, but maybe it does point to him not getting trained by anyone. 

I just don't believe Ronnie carried his water in training, offers no insights and then turns up the press conferences. He's got enough money, his own gym. Why would he do that? Makes him look like a submissive fool. 

3 hours ago, Norman said:

I agree with you. Ronnie has to be his coach though, surely? 

He's too old to hold the pads, but i dont buy this whole "i'm the water carrier" business. 

Who arranges the sparring times, the money exchanged and finds the oponents etc? It must be Ronnie. Jr may be very self motivating, so doesn't need a training regime or constant monitoring. I think that might be more it.

But then Ronnie hasn't really coached anyone other than Sr at this level, has he? 

And the lad on the pads is just a mate who he taught how to hold the pads. Not knocking that, i'm sure he knows what he's doing by now, but maybe it does point to him not getting trained by anyone. 

I just don't believe Ronnie carried his water in training, offers no insights and then turns up the press conferences. He's got enough money, his own gym. Why would he do that? Makes him look like a submissive fool. 

Watched the press conference and the bit with the talk about training must be awkward for Ronnie. Going along with the Eubanks.

"The kid has natural talent. He knows what to do"

Bleurgh! 

Cant pick between Groves or Eubank. Froch reckons Groves punch power might see him through. 

It will be interesting to see Eubank take a punch. Im sort of hoping Eubank wins, I like his swagger. 

Hayemaker productions on Dave tonight. Waiting for Joe Joyce to step into the ring.  

Haye looks thin ringside. 

9 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

Joe Joyce. 1st round ko mismatch against a big Croatian journeyman. 

Another uk heavyweight to watch out for in the next 2 to 3 years. 

Yeah, I think the guy didn't fancy it as soon as a right hook took him in the temple during the opening minute. Body shots looked heavy.

The KO punch didn't look THAT heavy. Reckon he was looking for an exit? 

His first fight was more impressive. He cruised past Lewison. Really beat him up and it could have been stopped earlier. 

For some reason Hughie Fury is fighting Sexton for the British title. Dave Allen fights soon for the commonwealth and you've got Chisora and Dubois that are probably sticking on the domestic circuit for this year. 

Some good scraps could be made.