Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

37 minutes ago, McLovin said:

The heavyweight division look very exciting. I'd like to see Joshua v Deontay Wilder, the battle of the Olympians. Would be one hell of a fight 

Awww mate. When Joshua gets to that level it will be the greatest.

Wilder is ironically wild. He's not a round by round fighter and neither is Joshua. Two blokes who have really blown the heavyweight division up. Knock out artists. 

I just hope AJ doesn't take it too soon. Wilder needs to come through Povetkin first.

AJ can pick his fights now. Everyone sees his lack of rounds and his 0 as a carrot. They'll fancy their chances in the latter rounds. 

Ideally Parker would drum up enough interest to get AJ. Also Whyte could give him rounds again.

Wach is out there some where. 

AJ is on a very difficult situation now as he's destroyed his way to the elite level.

With Hughey Fury they are building him. AJ has too much power to build slowly.

Now he finds himself under the radar of Fury and Co. Fury isn't the idiot he pretends to be. He knows his division. He's a proper student.

AJ now needs to tread carefully. 

Really disappointed with Martin. AJ got nothing from that except a bigger target on his back

Charles Martin looked beat in all the build up to this fight. I think deep down he knew he wasnt good enough and he was their for one reason only & that was the money.

Martin had won the IBF by default and had never beat anybody in the top 20. His record looked impressive on paper but when you start to look into who he's ever beat you realise his record isnt great. 

Its rumoured martin go paid 250k in his title winning fight and AJ had never earnt under 250k for a fight. Martin could havd either fought a mandatory challenher or someone thats not really known and lost. Or as he did call out AJ, come here to fight and potentially be set up for life off Joshua's popularity and ability to sell out.

Fair play to Martin i think he comes across as a nice bloke. 

No going back for AJ now he has one of them belts he cant start picking his fights and working his way up. He's now rightly so on the world scene. 

I think he should go for Wilder. Everytime ive watched him i thiught he's looked technically poor. Was losing in his last fight until the KO. I think he's overrated. Furys awkward and dangerous but AJ has allegedly had the better of him in the past in sparring i think Hayes one of the most dangerous fight for him 

5 hours ago, G-Ram said:

i think Hayes one of the most dangerous fight for him 

Agree with you there, think Joshua would have big problems with Haye. Fancy him against Wilder and even Fury, but Haye's speed, power and movement would expose Joshua's main weaknesses badly.

The thing for me is we don't know what AJ's weaknesses are...no-one has exposed any yet.

Haye would be a big jump in quality and a much bigger test because he's a more skilled boxer than anyone he's faced yet, but then I don't think he can bang like AJ can.

I thought Martin would test him though. Every time he steps up in class, the outcome has been the same. 

56 minutes ago, needles said:

The thing for me is we don't know what AJ's weaknesses are...no-one has exposed any yet.

Haye would be a big jump in quality and a much bigger test because he's a more skilled boxer than anyone he's faced yet, but then I don't think he can bang like AJ can.

I thought Martin would test him though. Every time he steps up in class, the outcome has been the same. 

If this is the case though, why is Haye fighting yet another bum? He could fight almost anyone in the division if he pushed hard enough. Instead he's half-heartedly calling out everyone under the sun. Called out AJ, Fury, Wilder and Briggs recently. But then sets up a fight with some Kosovan Josef Bloggski and ducks everyone.

2 hours ago, needles said:

The thing for me is we don't know what AJ's weaknesses are

I think body shots catch him off guard, Dillon Whyte hit him with some good body shots and AJ looked rocked for a while before his power saw him through

Fury will be the best fight for me, just for the build up with Fury acting a prat, although that's all show imo, Fury is a fantastic boxer and knows his onions. 

Furys antics are entertaining in what was a boring division just hope he beats kilitchko again and then AJ, wilder and fury etc can all fight it out to see whos best. Furys antics get people talking and sells out fights. AJ is going to be the peoples champ like a bruno everybody loves him proper nice humble bloke and Fury is a pantomime villain

as for Haye he cant expect to be out for that long and walk into a big fight there are others in line ahead of him. Id be suprised if Fury agreed to ever fight Haye especially after haye has ducked him twice    

Fury is definitely an actor. He really knows his division. He does plenty of homework. He's like Mourinho... doesn't always believe what he's saying and says stuff for attention.

He talked himself to a World Championship fight. He's not the prettiest or most powerful boxer. But he's huge and that obviously causes problems on its own. Without him finding ways to disrupt you. 

I find it surprising that he's expected to win again v Klitshcko. I can see him winning but I can see him getting beat just as easily. 

While nobody has exploited Joshua's weakness (unless you count his loss of composure v Whyte in a personal affair) these top guys will want to fight him as they'll want to take him into late rounds. 

Parker v Takam is for a mandatory shot at the IBF next January. So Joshua v Parker next Jan? Other heavy weights are busy over the next couple of months. Only really leaves September to fight a big name?

• 2 weeks later...

Not read through the thread but has anybody heard Fury's theory on Klitschko losing on purpose?

Hes got a very good point, if Wlad wins it back he will be a 3rd time champion (Ali level greatness) and defending his belt means he has done the most title defences in the Heavyweight division. Apparently he could afford to lose as he wasnt undefeated in his career, and this sacrifice would make him become one of the greatest boxers in history...

On another note, has anybody been tracking Conor Benn? he's turned pro and from what I've seen of him he can be a real star of British boxing in the future

Find it hard to believe Klitshcko would lose on purpose. He's already a legendary heavyweight. 

Fury is more than happy to talk Klitshcko up right now. "He nearly knocked me out twice" and his first day back at training in poor shape etc. It's him playing games again I'd bet on it. 

Did anyone see the state of the fighter that Dave Ryan was supposed to fight? 

Khan v Canelo soon isn't it? Be big hype around it and fair play to Khan for going looking for the Hollywood fights but I think Canelo will be comfortable. 

Roll on the day when someone blasts that Billy Joe Saunders. Tit. Tyson and Peter Fury are sound but the whole lot of the rest I can't stand. That whole clique. "Travelling people". Fook off. 

Why does no heavyweight ever mention Ortiz?

GGG vs. Wade is Saturday.I am a huge GGG fan and think he will take care of business rather easily in this one.After that for him? Well has come he wants Canelo which would be an awesome fight imo.In regards to Canelo/Khan, I am taking Canelo in a close decision,should be a good fight.

I never had much of a doubt Joshua would beat Martin; am curious on where Joshua goes from here.His mandatory is not that good.

I am a huge Wlad fan and hopefully he can win against Fury this time.I think first time around Wlad was a bit hesitant at times,but I think he will have a better gameplan this time.

Some great boxing coming up,can't wait.

Yeah, it'll be another win for Golovkin. I like him too AR. Think him and Canelo will happen next year. 

Seen Joshua taking some flak over who he's been fighting. Mostly from Fury's and Fury fanboys.  

The guy is only 16 fights old!! IBF, British and Commonwealth titles in 16 fights. Amongst that he fought his most fierce rival. 

No, he hasn't fought Wach or Povetkin level yet. Because you have to get there first and he's only just arrived in style too!!

These Fury fans should ask who did Fury fight in his first 16? 

His 20th fight was against Kevin Johnson where he won on points and Joshua knocked him out in 2. 

His biggest scalps are Hammer and Abell and a resilient Chisora. Not that I like picking holes in his record though because he's been great for the division. 

Joshua couldn't have done much more up to this point. 

Funny how before the Martin fight there was a lot of talk of this being a risk. An undefeated southpaw and a one way ticket to the big league. Then after he knocks him out Martin is a terrible champion. 

I think most people know that though. It's just Fury and his loyal followers spouting that off. 

Imagine if Povetkin beat Wilder and Wlad beat Fury. Both fights are high risk for the Champions.  Far from routine defences. That would mess up some promoters!!!

28 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Yeah, it'll be another win for Golovkin. I like him too AR. Think him and Canelo will happen next year. 

Seen Joshua taking some flak over who he's been fighting. Mostly from Fury's and Fury fanboys.  

The guy is only 16 fights old!! IBF, British and Commonwealth titles in 16 fights. Amongst that he fought his most fierce rival. 

No, he hasn't fought Wach or Povetkin level yet. Because you have to get there first and he's only just arrived in style too!!

These Fury fans should ask who did Fury fight in his first 16? 

His 20th fight was against Kevin Johnson where he won on points and Joshua knocked him out in 2. 

His biggest scalps are Hammer and Abell and a resilient Chisora. Not that I like picking holes in his record though because he's been great for the division. 

Joshua couldn't have done much more up to this point. 

Funny how before the Martin fight there was a lot of talk of this being a risk. An undefeated southpaw and a one way ticket to the big league. Then after he knocks him out Martin is a terrible champion. 

I think most people know that though. It's just Fury and his loyal followers spouting that off. 

Imagine if Povetkin beat Wilder and Wlad beat Fury. Both fights are high risk for the Champions.  Far from routine defences. That would mess up some promoters!!!

Yeah I love watching Golovkin fight.His fight against Wade tomorrow should be easy for him imo.Golovkin is by far the more polished fighter.I do think him and Canelo will happen also; would be a great fight,and I will say GGG in a decision.

I listen to some boxing podcasts,and yeah a lot not really giving Joshua too much respect and/or credit for beating Martin.Granted Martin really should not have been champ,but irregardless of that,Joshua took care of business and I think he has a bright future indeed as long as his team leads him in the right direction in regards to future fights.

As I stated,I am a Wlad fan and was dissapointed in how he approached Fury in their first encounter.I think this next time he will be better prepared and get it done.

I hope Wilder continues to perform well as Americans are falling behind in regards to the heavyweight division and true contenders within it.

Love boxing and hopefully these upcoming fights,especially the Khan/Canelo and Fury/Klitschko are as good as they should be.

For some reason in boxing Champions are adored and everyone else is just there to discredit. 

I dunno how it's viewed in America but over here everyone is supremely confident that Fury will win. So much talk about how Joshua will fight him for this and how Haye will get a fight for that. 

Doesn't seem like it's even been considered that he's fighting a legend and a bloke who has been beaten before and came back stronger than ever. Klitshcko will have to improve but so will Fury. We know Klitshcko can... can Fury? That was the best we've ever seen him. 

They've talked about Breazeale, Stiverne and Molina for Joshua on June 25th.

Breazeale has been the first to respond. 

Was hoping it would be Stiverne tbh. A solid and established heavyweight who is the only mark on Wilder's perfect record.