Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

Some good fights upcoming this weekend @Alpha.

Victor Ortiz vs. Andre Berto- This should be a pretty good fight, will take Berto in a decision.

Edwin Rodriguez vs. Thomas Williams Jr-Have watched Rodriguez fight a few times before and watched Williams before too. Will take Rodriguez in a split decision in this light heavyweight bout.

Badou Jack vs. Lucian Bute- Jack should win and retain his title in fight;however if Bute fights as hard as he did in the last 6 rounds of his fight with DeGale, could surprise Jack here.

James DeGale vs. Porky Medina(Great name).-DeGale with a TKO in this one.

Plan on watching any of these mate?

5 hours ago, AmericanRam said:

Some good fights upcoming this weekend @Alpha.

Victor Ortiz vs. Andre Berto- This should be a pretty good fight, will take Berto in a decision.

Edwin Rodriguez vs. Thomas Williams Jr-Have watched Rodriguez fight a few times before and watched Williams before too. Will take Rodriguez in a split decision in this light heavyweight bout.

Badou Jack vs. Lucian Bute- Jack should win and retain his title in fight;however if Bute fights as hard as he did in the last 6 rounds of his fight with DeGale, could surprise Jack here.

James DeGale vs. Porky Medina(Great name).-DeGale with a TKO in this one.

Plan on watching any of these mate?

Really want to watch Badou Jack v Bute. I think/hope it could be a blockbuster. Hopefully stay awake for it! 

Never seen Medina fight. Not even highlights. I'm assuming he's not great? Not huge hype around this one. Eddie Hearn was explaining how the IBF don't always provide the best fights with the way their rankings work?

Is this guy gonna even test Degale? Not like Golovkin last week. That was a poor match up. 

Ortiz has fought Berto before? Thought I read that the other day?

But yeah, Jack v Bute I fancy the look of. 

6 hours ago, Alpha said:

Really want to watch Badou Jack v Bute. I think/hope it could be a blockbuster. Hopefully stay awake for it! 

Never seen Medina fight. Not even highlights. I'm assuming he's not great? Not huge hype around this one. Eddie Hearn was explaining how the IBF don't always provide the best fights with the way their rankings work?

Is this guy gonna even test Degale? Not like Golovkin last week. That was a poor match up. 

Ortiz has fought Berto before? Thought I read that the other day?

But yeah, Jack v Bute I fancy the look of. 

I have seen Medina fight a couple times,Mexicans consider him a huge prospect but never beat anybody really (One fight I saw of his actually was against Badou Jack in 2013 and I remember Jack punishing him for the most part in that one).I think Medina will not test Degale too much but give a better effort and performance than Wade did vs. GGG for sure.

Yeah Ortiz and Berto fought in 2011 where Ortiz won the decision.It was an awesome fight,fight of the year contender.

Yeah really looking forward to the Jack/Bute fight also.

Here are some websites mate I visit often and they have some really good stuff and some podcasts with some good analysis,news etc if want something to listen to.

Bad Left Hook.

http://www.badlefthook.com/

The Boxing Rant.

http://www.theboxingrant.com/

7 hours ago, AmericanRam said:

I have seen Medina fight a couple times,Mexicans consider him a huge prospect but never beat anybody really (One fight I saw of his actually was against Badou Jack in 2013 and I remember Jack punishing him for the most part in that one).I think Medina will not test Degale too much but give a better effort and performance than Wade did vs. GGG for sure.

Yeah Ortiz and Berto fought in 2011 where Ortiz won the decision.It was an awesome fight,fight of the year contender.

Yeah really looking forward to the Jack/Bute fight also.

Here are some websites mate I visit often and they have some really good stuff and some podcasts with some good analysis,news etc if want something to listen to.

Bad Left Hook.

http://www.badlefthook.com/

The Boxing Rant.

http://www.theboxingrant.com/

Cheers AR.

I'm going for a Kahn win against the Mexican who looks like he's Irish.

Don't know why, he hasn't got the chin and he's in the wrong weight division....just think he might be too fast, hopefully improved his defence and will win on points.

Probs get knocked out, though.

4 hours ago, Norman said:

I'm going for a Kahn win against the Mexican who looks like he's Irish.

Don't know why, he hasn't got the chin and he's in the wrong weight division....just think he might be too fast, hopefully improved his defence and will win on points.

Probs get knocked out, though.

If he does win then we'll probably have to wait a year for Golovkin to fight Canelo. But I hope he does. He's fast but don't think that will save him.  

Bet it's at 4am anorl isn't it?

Well DeGale/Medina was a way better fight than I expected.DeGale won by majority decision but some could argue for Medina also.

Berto/Ortiz this time around nothing on their first encounter.Berto wins by TKO and controlled fight from start to finish.

Jack/Bute fight was a good one with Jack winning by decision.In this one also some could argue Bute should have won.

Khan vs Alvarez looks a complete mismatch to me, and I can't believe it's been licensed.

The only thing which will stop Alvarez seriously hurting him is that fact that it won't last. 

As soon as Khan gets tagged, forget it. Can't see him dancing for 12 rounds.

Khan is a much better fighter under Vurgil Hunter. He's not stupid anymore and stands throwing six or seven punch combos. He's a three-punch combo fighter now, quickly in and out.

Canelo struggled against Floyd, but he's still incredibly young so he's progressing all the time. Despite being a power-punch hitter, Canelo doesn't have a great knockout record of late.

I think Khan can win on points, if he plays it smart. But I'm a bit miffed at why he has gone up. There are so many good 147 match-ups out there, the promoters need to pull their finger out. 

Brook's resume is shocking for a champion. Porter aside, he hasn't fought another top 20 at 147. 

I think Porter vs Thurman is the best match up for this year. Reckon it'll be brilliant.

I love Tyson Fury , but shame he isnt in shape and doesnt care about boxing any more. At the same time, I cant blame him, 27, been through a lot, battling his deamons, has 2 kids, pregnant wife and he has just seen someone nearly die in the ring. He has made money, had a good career and fair play to him when he retires

19 minutes ago, AmericanRam said:

Canelo easily beats Khan(brutal KO in the 6th round).Just the far superior boxer from the opening bell.

You thought so? I had Khan winning the first four rounds, and he was boxing brilliantly considering he had no power to hurt Canelo so was forever on the move. His footwork was brilliant at the start.

The you noticed in round five Canelo was finding his range, and Khan was slowing down.

I thought at that moment Canelo would pin him on the ropes and hurt him in the seventh or eighth, causing a stoppage. Didn't see that one punch coming, it was devastating.

Khan, and boxing, needs to look at this and take a think about safety. The difference in power between the two was just ridiculous and luckily it seems Khan is OK, could have been far worse.

They shouldn't allow fighters to jump up two weights like that. It's OK jumping from Batamweight to Feather or even Light, but from Welter to a 170lb middleweight is insane.

5 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

You thought so? I had Khan winning the first four rounds, and he was boxing brilliantly considering he had no power to hurt Canelo so was forever on the move. His footwork was brilliant at the start.

The you noticed in round five Canelo was finding his range, and Khan was slowing down.

I thought at that moment Canelo would pin him on the ropes and hurt him in the seventh or eighth, causing a stoppage. Didn't see that one punch coming, it was devastating.

Khan, and boxing, needs to look at this and take a think about safety. The difference in power between the two was just ridiculous and luckily it seems Khan is OK, could have been far worse.

They shouldn't allow fighters to jump up two weights like that. It's OK jumping from Batamweight to Feather or even Light, but from Welter to a 170lb middleweight is insane.

I'd say that's an excellent appraisal... 

There was always going to come a point where Khan stopped getting in and out quick enough.  He executed perfectly the first 3 rounds. But in the 4th Canelo began to hold more. Less knockout blows and more measured brawl.

Whether it be tiredness or over confidence there was always going to come a time when he stuck around too long.

Khan needs either a steel chin or real power to go with his speed. Think winning the first 4 rounds looked good but 12 rounds of getting in and out... It would have to be the greatest performance ever. 

On 05/05/2016 at 12:14, dcfcfan1 said:

I love Tyson Fury , but shame he isnt in shape and doesnt care about boxing any more. At the same time, I cant blame him, 27, been through a lot, battling his deamons, has 2 kids, pregnant wife and he has just seen someone nearly die in the ring. He has made money, had a good career and fair play to him when he retires

Depends if you believe a word he says. 

When the guy talks serious you realise what an intelligent boxing man he is. It's rare, but he goes into more depth than a pundit!! 

Most of what he says is usually either self promotion or its aimed at someone in particular.

The same week he mentioned retiring his wife was saying how he's happy to be back in camp, how he's missed it. 

He might retire. But I bet not for long. He might step aside and let the top dogs fight it out amongst themselves, come back in 18 months, add another 5 names to his record and then take on whoever #1 is. 

Or he might be putting pressure on Hearn and Joshua to tip the purse towards him more. 

You never know with Fury. He's clever. But I don't believe he doesn't love boxing. He's too passionate about it when he accidently stops clowning around.

Like him, but I can't see him being unbeaten for long. For all the criticism aimed at Joshua... Fury wasn't exactly fighting beasts himself. Him v Haye would have been good. But Haye obviously didn't fancy it because of his swollen wallet... I mean toe.

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

There was always going to come a point where Khan stopped getting in and out quick enough.  He executed perfectly the first 3 rounds. But in the 4th Canelo began to hold more. Less knockout blows and more measured brawl.

Whether it be tiredness or over confidence there was always going to come a time when he stuck around too long.

Khan needs either a steel chin or real power to go with his speed. Think winning the first 4 rounds looked good but 12 rounds of getting in and out... It would have to be the greatest performance ever. 

I dont get the khan hate tbh, he is doing the best he can with his ability. He has balls and he doesnt duck out of fights (hope he fights brook).He is exciting to watch too

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Depends if you believe a word he says. 

When the guy talks serious you realise what an intelligent boxing man he is. It's rare, but he goes into more depth than a pundit!! 

Most of what he says is usually either self promotion or its aimed at someone in particular.

The same week he mentioned retiring his wife was saying how he's happy to be back in camp, how he's missed it. 

He might retire. But I bet not for long. He might step aside and let the top dogs fight it out amongst themselves, come back in 18 months, add another 5 names to his record and then take on whoever #1 is. 

Or he might be putting pressure on Hearn and Joshua to tip the purse towards him more. 

You never know with Fury. He's clever. But I don't believe he doesn't love boxing. He's too passionate about it when he accidently stops clowning around.

Like him, but I can't see him being unbeaten for long. For all the criticism aimed at Joshua... Fury wasn't exactly fighting beasts himself. Him v Haye would have been good. But Haye obviously didn't fancy it because of his swollen wallet... I mean toe.

He just doesnt seem to care that much, and as what he has achieved cant be topped. Look at the shape he is in ffs. Peter fury is a great trainer, hope hughie lives up to his potential. They have to get his food allergy thing sorted, it seems like it is affecting his performances

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

The thing is, the punches from the likes of Canelo and Danny Garcia would knock down almost all boxers within their respective weight classes. I honestly thought Khan was improving loads defensively, but he just left himself wide open. If that wasn't Canelo, it would have been a Thurman or Brook who equally throw hard straight rights.

I think Khan is one of the most technically gifted fighters in terms of speed and movement, but he is far too vulnerable to those big punches and he gets caught far too often.

It makes fights brilliant by the way. You just know one punch can end it. 

But there is clearly a natural flaw in his game and it's not his chin. Those punches would drop anyone, so nobody can say that it's his chin which is causing him problems.

Before he got dropped because he was countered after throwing too many punches at one time. Now he gets dropped for simply staying in the pocket that slight split-second too long.

Without changing his style, I'm stumped as to how he can avoid those punches. Maybe it's simply down to concentration, but Canelo has never hit anybody in his career like that.

3 hours ago, dcfcfan1 said:

He just doesnt seem to care that much, and as what he has achieved cant be topped. Look at the shape he is in ffs. Peter fury is a great trainer, hope hughie lives up to his potential. They have to get his food allergy thing sorted, it seems like it is affecting his performances

See, he says it can't be topped but the division is split. He could unify the titles. 

There's some huge fighters left to prove himself against. Povetkin, Ortiz, Wilder, Browne, Joshua... maybe Stiverne? Glazkov? Haye? Wach? Briggs even? 

Klitshcko was a huge win. But his next biggest win is waaaaay lower level. 

How can you say you've achieved everything when there's 36-0 (?) champions like Wilder? Guys that have only lost to Wlad or Vitali and then other undefeated champions at that level. Two who are 25-0 ish. Even Price could come up again. 

I like Hughie Fury. Gaining lots of experience isn't he? Not packing much of a punch but he's learning more than Joshua has from some fights. Whyte v Hughie would be a great watch if it happened. 

Up until last week he'd been punch perfect. Hope he does whatever he needs to do to get back to before that last fight.