Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Also, whilst you may not agree with the decisions Hearn makes, you might warm to him a little if you watch this. He's a really engaging bloke that you can tell loves the sport. 

And to qualify my earlier post, I'd have exactly the same opinion as you re KSI vs Logan Paul if it was football.

I watch a lot of Eddie Hearn. His shows tend to be the best. Just pulling him up on contradictions he's made. 

KSI and Logan Paul will put on a boxing match of the same standard you get from white collar boxing. 

They're only doing 6 rounds aren't they? 

They'll be fit and strong-ish. That's it. 

This will be about as much PPV boxing as a football charity match. 

Boxers spend their lives learning ring craft, footwork. Fine tuning their balance. Learning how to unbalanced an opponent. Learning how to take huge shots but have the balance to ride it. 

It is like a football charity match between Man City fans and Liverpool fans. And the sets of fans claiming they could beat some Premier League teams like KSI said he could beat some boxers. If he steps in with a cruiserweight of even British standard like Isaac Chamberlain he will get blasted to the floor. 

The footwork and balance and all the little feints etc that professional boxers do takes years to incorporate into their skillset. 

I know it's all over YouTube. I'm sick of seeing their fake play acting with Shannon Briggs (who's now tried everything to be relevant. I mean everything!) 

The fight doesn't do any harm exactly. But this is not a sport to feck around in. It's not a sport you want to start settling your beef. Not in a professional scenario. 

If one gets hurt then people might realise this ain't a game. And if neither get hurt are we going to see more of this stuff? What happens when one bloke is far less prepared than the other. 

They're playing at a dangerous game. Half the viewers will be thinking boxing is about who's "harder" and "punches hardest" 

Like when McGregor got toyed with by Mayweather. He's lucky it was exhibition stuff for Floyd. McGregor is a tough guy who fights for a living. But he bit off way more than he could chew against a retired 'old man'. Luckily it was all very WWE once inside the ring too

Wait until someone gets hurt. 

If Adonis Stevenson can get punched into a coma in a fight he's favourite in then these "celebs" can. Stick to the head guards. 

Boxing has different levels of drug cheats. There can be trace amounts of listed substance in your blood that can be from some legal over the counter supplement. BJS couldn't fight in Vegas because of a nasal spray

But fighters like Jarrell Miller should lose their license. 

I heard that KSI or Logan Paul punched the other one when he was down. Clever

It's a sport where you fight until one can't fight anymore. Gloves are protect your hands not the person you're punching. You can legally kill someone. 

And now Youtubers are getting licenses. I almost want it to go a bit wrong. 

20 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I heard that KSI or Logan Paul punched the other one when he was down. Clever

Logan Paul hit KSI as he was on his way down. It resulted in him getting docked two points, ultimately costing him the fight.

It wasn't as bad as the fight before the main card, where a professional boxer got disqualified for launching a full-on attack seconds after the round-ending bell.

21 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Wait until someone gets hurt. 

Did you watch the video I sent? That's the exact point he's making.

These two knew the risks involved. They knew that a boxer died just weeks before their fight. They're already multi-millionaires who don't really have anything to prove. They did this because they wanted to challenge themselves and, by all accounts, they worked their arses off for months to try and win the fight. If it ended with a KO, the loser would have been tormented with the image for years in a way that no professional boxer would experience.

I think they deserve respect for working hard and having the baalocks to step into the ring, at the very least. I'm sure the majority of people in this world lack the cojones to do what they did.

57 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Logan Paul hit KSI as he was on his way down. It resulted in him getting docked two points, ultimately costing him the fight.

It wasn't as bad as the fight before the main card, where a professional boxer got disqualified for launching a full-on attack seconds after the round-ending bell.

Did you watch the video I sent? That's the exact point he's making.

These two knew the risks involved. They knew that a boxer died just weeks before their fight. They're already multi-millionaires who don't really have anything to prove. They did this because they wanted to challenge themselves and, by all accounts, they worked their arses off for months to try and win the fight. If it ended with a KO, the loser would have been tormented with the image for years in a way that no professional boxer would experience.

I think they deserve respect for working hard and having the baalocks to step into the ring, at the very least. I'm sure the majority of people in this world lack the cojones to do what they did.

Eddie Hearn reckons he's had contact from a lot of celebs and youtubers. 

I think the FA should do the same. Make the odd PL game between fans. 

Not that I’m remotely interested at all in that fight, I think you’d have a point @Alpha if these YouTuber’s came in and were fighting for the traditional belts that the boxers have been training years for. 

Your fans PL analogy would work better then had they have fought for a belt. 

This is similar to the McGregor Mayweather fight and Tyson Fury looking for a MMA fight, although both are obviously trained fighters.

As long as these “entertainment” fights remain a sideshow and don’t start impacting the real boxing, can’t see a problem with it. In fact the exposure may introduce new fans to the sport and possibly inspire more youngsters into taking up Boxing which can only be a good thing for the future?

Probably a lot easier to work hard and become a boxer than a millionaire on YouTube these days. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Alpha said:

Huge Luis Ortiz fan this weekend. 

Really? Not so sure, I want Oritz to mess this all up - it's tricky enough as it is. I'd rather see Wilder - Fury 2 with the belt on the line.

As for Wilder, he must be cursing Fury. I know his stock rose after the first Fury fight but then to see Tyson get $9m for a bit of WWE in his own back yard must have been infuriating. Of course, we know why it happened that way no matter how much they might want to tell you America has changed, but still.

36 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Really? Not so sure, I want Oritz to mess this all up - it's tricky enough as it is. I'd rather see Wilder - Fury 2 with the belt on the line.

As for Wilder, he must be cursing Fury. I know his stock rose after the first Fury fight but then to see Tyson get $9m for a bit of WWE in his own back yard must have been infuriating. Of course, we know why it happened that way no matter how much they might want to tell you America has changed, but still.

Yes. Fury has an attraction to promoters of that kind of enterprise with the dressing as Batman for press conferences, singing in the ring etc.  Having seen Wilder in interview, he has all the charisma of a sloth with narcolepsy.  Unless, your alluding to something else.

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Yes. Fury has an attraction to promoters of that kind of enterprise with the dressing as Batman for press conferences, singing in the ring etc.  Having seen Wilder in interview, he has all the charisma of a sloth with narcolepsy.  Unless, your alluding to something else.

I get your point but I absolutely am - I'm no WWE fan but I'm struggling to name one black wrestler. Of course, I have no doubt there are plenty - maybe a few belt holders - and I am not saying anyone is racist but I'm just saying WWE is a (largely) white (largely) man's sport. They're playing to their audience.

20 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

I get your point but I absolutely am - I'm no WWE fan but I'm struggling to name one black wrestler. Of course, I have no doubt there are plenty - maybe a few belt holders - and I am not saying anyone is racist but I'm just saying WWE is a (largely) white (largely) man's sport. They're playing to their audience.

Booker T with Stevie Ray (tag team in the Harlem Heat), Cryme Tyme (Shad and JTG), Farooq, Kofi Kingston, Mark Henry, D Lo Brown, Viscera, R Truth, Bobby Lashley, Shelton Benjamin, Xavier Woods, Titus O'Neil, The Godfather. Countless more if you want to move off solely black.

3 minutes ago, Srg said:

Booker T with Stevie Ray (tag team in the Harlem Heat), Cryme Tyme (Shad and JTG), Farooq, Kofi Kingston, Mark Henry, D Lo Brown, Viscera, R Truth, Bobby Lashley, Shelton Benjamin, Xavier Woods, Titus O'Neil, The Godfather. Countless more if you want to move off solely black.

You mean the guy who owned Stax records in the 60's. Thought he'd be a bit old for that malarkey.

3 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

I can't stand any more listening to Deontay Wilder. He talks soooooo much garbage. Half of it doesn't even make sense. He insists on being the loudest person in any room. 

He probably has the hardest punch in history. He doesn't even have to connect well. Mike Tyson's timing and technique emphasised his power. Wilder is such an awkward mess of a fighter. But the guy is a tool

He record is a luxury. It includes 2 fights against Stiverne and he was 30+ fights in before he took on the might of Audley Harrison and Jason Gavern.

He has been protected by the WBC for 2 years. 

1 face, 1 name, 1 champion he says. Yet never tried to unify the belts. 

I can't stand him. I think he'll win though because Ortiz is overrated and sluggish. Wilder is taller, longer, stronger. 

But I'll laugh my arse off if that WBC gets taken off him and Al Haymon

1 hour ago, Srg said:

OK - I stand corrected. Thx.

22 minutes ago, Alpha said:

He probably has the hardest punch in history. He doesn't even have to connect well. Mike Tyson's timing and technique emphasised his power. Wilder is such an awkward mess of a fighter.

George Foreman, Rocky Marciano, Earnie Shavers are three that might have a discussion to have with you on that. I think Wilder is starting to build up, as you suggest, one of those false zero records. Calzaghe started with a record that didn't always stand up to scrutiny, the Lacy fight changed all of that. As you say, Wilder is messy but the guy can bang and I only recall one fight (the first Ortiz one) where he was inches from being out of there. Against Fury he sure was down on the cards but elsewhere he hasn't had a Wallinn type cut, he hasn't got floored off a fat Mexican coz he didn't feel right. He's a mess of a fighter but he's keeping it together (with a little help from his friends, I admit)