Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

One thing is for certain. If Joshua wins the rematch in the UK then Wilder and Fury will definitely fancy the fight. 

It's a massive wake up call for AJ. No heavyweight champion has ever retired undefeated. That's the nature of the beast. It doesn't matter how big you are, any decent heavyweight opponent who can landed punches is going to hurt. Hearn and his cronies are to blame partially for the defeat. Underestimated the opponent, thought AJ could turn up. AJ didn't have the drive to win, Ruiz Jr looked like a caged animal. 

Having watched the fight, the thing I found amazing was the end. It was like Joshua gave up. For a guy who gave all that 'dig deep, be a warrior' over the years I was surprised to see him go out on his feet, pretty much alert. I'm not saying you have to get sparked to make sure but it was as much a quit as the Amir Khan fight to me - must be something in the MSG water.

47 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Having watched the fight, the thing I found amazing was the end. It was like Joshua gave up. For a guy who gave all that 'dig deep, be a warrior' over the years I was surprised to see him go out on his feet, pretty much alert. I'm not saying you have to get sparked to make sure but it was as much a quit as the Amir Khan fight to me - must be something in the MSG water.

I thought he seemed out of it. He didn't seem to know he'd lost his gum shield? 

I think it took a long time to recover from round 3 and just as he's getting strength in his legs again...boom! 

That's the thing I was saying about his survival. He needed oxygen and he needed his legs back. This is where Wilder would be in a clinch. He always does. Straight away. Boxers who have achieved a hell of a lot less than AJ know how to cling on or tuck up. 

AJ's answer to turning to jelly was to exert more energy throwing hooks and to attempt a wedding dance. Totally out of his depth when it comes to hanging on. 

I think Wlad will be watching that fight thinking "why the hell didn't it empty the tank on him" 

I dunno. I guess its something they never planned for. Fair play to Ruiz for firing away after losing the first shootout

2 hours ago, SouthStandDan said:

One thing is for certain. If Joshua wins the rematch in the UK then Wilder and Fury will definitely fancy the fight. 

It's a massive wake up call for AJ. No heavyweight champion has ever retired undefeated. That's the nature of the beast. It doesn't matter how big you are, any decent heavyweight opponent who can landed punches is going to hurt. Hearn and his cronies are to blame partially for the defeat. Underestimated the opponent, thought AJ could turn up. AJ didn't have the drive to win, Ruiz Jr looked like a caged animal. 

Rocky Marciano did.

Just watched the fight again. 

AJ definitely struggling right from 3 to 7. Asking what round it is isn't that unusual but asking why he feels how he feels is alarming. That's going into Round 7 when he was actually looking like collecting himself. 

And him losing the gum shield says to me that he's just scrambled. 

Also didn't notice that his Dad was giving Hearn some grief. 

The rematch could be very tough now. Ruiz won't be favourite but he's got a lot less to do in the next 4/5 months. Joshua can't learn how to survive unless they get someone to smash him up in camp. Ruiz will have the edge mentally and physically on the inside. 

AJ should prepare to do a 12 round points victory. Stay on the jab. Stay on the back foot. Short sharp combinations. Let some bulk off maybe. He'll get criticised but in 5 years if he's sat with 32 wins and 1 defeat it will be forgotten. 

I mean Tyson does not give a feck whether he entertains. He wins boxing matches. He doesn't brawl by choice. He's been the villain. He just does what's best for him. 

Forget Wilder and belts and TV networks. Just win. Points will do. 

I really really hope Ortiz nails Wilder. He certainly could do. He's a bit slow and he's not as fit as Wilder. But it will shut that tool up and the HW division will be more wide open than it has in well over a decade. 

I don't know why every era of HW boxing gets criticised. This bunch here could leave a great legacy if they fight. 

Usyk, Ortiz, Wilder, Parker, Whyte, Joshua, Povetkin, Pulev, Fury, Gassiev, Ruiz Jnr.... 

And there's a handful of guys on the way up. 

7 hours ago, Alpha said:

Joshua can't learn how to survive unless they get someone to smash him up in camp. 

Aparrently the eye injury he got in camp was from a huge knock out in sparring. 

Some saying he hasn't recovered.

1 hour ago, Norman said:

Aparrently the eye injury he got in camp was from a huge knock out in sparring. 

Some saying he hasn't recovered.

If true wonder who just cost him his unified belts and American profile

I do remember Bunce commenting last week that AJ had a few nicks and cuts but the eye thing was apparently a sty. I'm not buying the knockout story mainly because the biggest problem seemed to be he got gassed. Wouldn't be surprised to hear them claim something like a viral illness diagnosed but the truth is that the issue was being whacked in the mid riff for four rounds.

Actually, the person who won that fight was Wilder, if this fight had been a year ago I feel AJ would have done just like he did with Parker and jabbed his way to a boring points win, it was the obvious tactic. It'll probably what he will do, as @Alpha suggests, in a rematch but even if he does he's going to have to learn to survive trouble at some point beyond that. He could do worse than watching a bit of Fury to see an expert in action.

20 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

I'm not buying the knockout story mainly because the biggest problem seemed to be he got gassed. 

That's what happens when you are concussed. If you were already concussed, a smack on the temple will stop your ability to recover.

Joshua says it was an injury from his physio. Yeah, ok then.

• 2 weeks later...

His clowning around has probably disarmed Tom Schwarz. That's what it's designed to do anyway because I don't believe for 1 second Tyson would take his eye off the ball. 

The guy is all over the place until it comes to boxing and then he's always got unrivalled mind games. 

Made an easy fight look easy. That's just a keeping warm fight for Fury and a few quid for ESPN. What they really needed was to let Tyson loose in Vegas to win people over by being the best version of himself. 

Mission accomplished. Perfect 10/10 for Tyson and he can't do much more than that. 

They sent AJ to do the same thing tbf. So fair play to Tyson for not messing up what another brilliant fighter messed up vs Ruiz. 

Next fight needs to be a name. Then take the belt off that absolute twit

Thought Fury did pretty much everything asked of him - showed good defence, finished ruthlessly and entertained along the way. A very good night's work for him. I do think he has now slipped into the number one slot - Wilder always has a banger's shot and Joshua is better than what we saw at MSG. But Fury has really rounded himself out to be not only the better boxer but also the better draw. Amazing to think he's managed this only 40 months after his infamous comments about homosexuals and less than eighteen months after being cleared to box again (and we all know what happened in the period between those two dates). 

Only two things will challenge Fury - one is Usyk, who has enough to be a real threat if he wants to, and the other is Father Time. Fury is 30 now, reactions are the first thing to go and he relies on his so much given he is not the biggest banger out there. I'd love to see him clean up in this division, I really would, but he will need a pretty clear run at it and with the likes of Al Hayman to duke without outside the ring it won't be easy to do it.

48 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Thought Fury did pretty much everything asked of him - showed good defence, finished ruthlessly and entertained along the way. A very good night's work for him. I do think he has now slipped into the number one slot - Wilder always has a banger's shot and Joshua is better than what we saw at MSG. But Fury has really rounded himself out to be not only the better boxer but also the better draw. Amazing to think he's managed this only 40 months after his infamous comments about homosexuals and less than eighteen months after being cleared to box again (and we all know what happened in the period between those two dates). 

Only two things will challenge Fury - one is Usyk, who has enough to be a real threat if he wants to, and the other is Father Time. Fury is 30 now, reactions are the first thing to go and he relies on his so much given he is not the biggest banger out there. I'd love to see him clean up in this division, I really would, but he will need a pretty clear run at it and with the likes of Al Hayman to duke without outside the ring it won't be easy to do it.

Speaking of Usyk did you see the two cruiserweight fights? 

Them cruiserweight are animals. Dorticos knockout was a punch that travelled like a meter to land on the chin. 

And the Briedis fight was crazy. Lucky he wasn't disqualified 

Usyk taking the route he did through the WSS is a real testament to him. Really tough guys and I think Usyk and Gassiev will be in big heavyweight fights

15 hours ago, Alpha said:

Speaking of Usyk did you see the two cruiserweight fights? 

Them cruiserweight are animals. Dorticos knockout was a punch that travelled like a meter to land on the chin. 

And the Briedis fight was crazy. Lucky he wasn't disqualified 

Usyk taking the route he did through the WSS is a real testament to him. Really tough guys and I think Usyk and Gassiev will be in big heavyweight fights

Saw the Briedis one - even he admitted it was out of order post fight. How long before we have VAR in boxing?

On the other point, Gassiev is a strange one - I can't get beyond the Usyk fight when he didn't really turn up but I also agree that there are some good paydays down the track for him if he wants them.

But Usyk vs Fury could be something for the ages.

Wow, Joshua certainly looks like he has just got himself a mountain to climb. Usyk is pretty much the most dangerous heavyweight out there and now AJ has been ordered to fight him straight after a career defining fight (which he should / must win, if he doesn't it was nice knowing you). I know he is obsessed with being the unified holder but it really does look like the moment has gone, in my opinion he'd be very well served to let the WBO belt go, hunt down Wilder and then come back to Usyk if and when he's learnt how to defend. If he does decide to let the belt go, which he really should, I could see maybe Whyte against Usyk for that belt and after that we have another name in the mix. Fascinating times....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/48738582

Edited by BaaLocks