Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

3 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Wow, Joshua certainly looks like he has just got himself a mountain to climb. Usyk is pretty much the most dangerous heavyweight out there and now AJ has been ordered to fight him straight after a career defining fight (which he should / must win, if he doesn't it was nice knowing you). I know he is obsessed with being the unified holder but it really does look like the moment has gone, in my opinion he'd be very well served to let the WBO belt go, hunt down Wilder and then come back to Usyk if and when he's learnt how to defend. If he does decide to let the belt go, which he really should, I could see maybe Whyte against Usyk for that belt and after that we have another name in the mix. Fascinating times....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/48738582

I think that's exactly how he should and will play it. Vacate and fight Tyson or Wilder next summer. Tough fight but those are the only names that he could lose to and still be part of the elite club. 

Pulev would make a good fight if he beats Ruiz. Try and get Tyson or Wilder to sign first and then people won't moan about him avoiding Usyk. He can save face and still move forward. 

Losing to Usyk won't hurt him once Usyk has proven himself at that weight. But with his bicep injury he's only going to fight once before an AJ clash. Losing to two 6ft3" guys who have never won a big HW fight would set AJ back massively. 

I am really excited to see Usyk and Gassiev at that weight. I think Gassiev will surprise a few. Hope a couple of other cruisers come up too. They're really good all round fighters. Big lads that can box and brawl

• 2 weeks later...

I have been getting the odd YouTube recommendation boxing videos thrown at me since I have watch a couple of highlights of the big recent fights it has re-ignighted my love for the sport, some of the lighter hearted ones have been showboating boxers who get knocked out my favourite is 

Watch from 3:12

3 hours ago, JG400 said:

I have been getting the odd YouTube recommendation boxing videos thrown at me since I have watch a couple of highlights of the big recent fights it has re-ignighted my love for the sport, some of the lighter hearted ones have been showboating boxers who get knocked out my favourite is 

Watch from 3:12

That's the prat from Derby.

Didn't realize he was a local fella, it is a thing of legend.

Khan fight last night was a bit of a joke. Basically he knows he's out the elite class now, picking up a few pay packets on the promise of what might be but his days are gone.

Dubois vs Gorman tonight promises to be interesting. Agree with all the journos who are saying this is a strange one to be happening so early in their careers but I also guess one of them can afford to have a 'and one' on their card and still go a long way. Dubois looks the tidier fighter on paper and at the weigh in but when did we say that recently and it didn't go to plan? Still think he'll get it though - really hard one to call but middle rounds TKO for me. But don't slate me tomorrow - I'm Brexit on it (i.e. only about 52% convinced).

Nope, very wrong. Bit of a tame effort at boxing after claiming he's way ahead of Dubois in skills. He wasn't slick. He got blasted away. 

I find Dubois and Joyce a bit... I dunno. I just don't think they're THAT good. They're both brawlers. I expect to see them in a nightclub car park. Hard bar stewards for sure but... I think any fighter with quick feet and some smarts that comes to win will trouble them. Luckily they can avoid that and kind of con there way up the ladder. But they're a poor Dillian Whyte. In my opinion anyway. 

Dubois does have time tbf. Joyce is going to bite off more than he can chew next year 

On 14/07/2019 at 00:02, Alpha said:

Nope, very wrong. Bit of a tame effort at boxing after claiming he's way ahead of Dubois in skills. He wasn't slick. He got blasted away. 

I find Dubois and Joyce a bit... I dunno. I just don't think they're THAT good. They're both brawlers. I expect to see them in a nightclub car park. Hard bar stewards for sure but... I think any fighter with quick feet and some smarts that comes to win will trouble them. Luckily they can avoid that and kind of con there way up the ladder. But they're a poor Dillian Whyte. In my opinion anyway. 

Dubois does have time tbf. Joyce is going to bite off more than he can chew next year 

My thoughts on last weeks cards. 

Fury zzzzzzz

Khan was a mismatch. 

Didnt like the whole Jeddah promotion at all. Seemed a bit like forced entertainment. Sheikhs sat at the side of the ring in big seats by themselves either not watching the fights or recording them on their phone. One of them walked Khan into the ring and was more interested in making sure the crowd saw him. 

Its just seemed all fur coat and no knickers. 

Joyce works hard and can take a punch, but he's so slow. 

I was surprised by Dubois. For a young lad, he took a few puches and did a very good job on Gorman. From a marketing point of view he's not the sharpest is he? His interview was very robotic, and he could of acknowledged Gorman. 

I thought Tyson Fury interviews ringside on Saturday were brilliant. He looks so much at peace with the world at the moment. 

Big win for Whyte who should now be looking to fight for a world title. If they try to freeze him out still then he should fight some low level guys. Don't go taking more risks against for World Champions, unknown dangerous Cubans or getting involved in heated rivalries. Don't fight Tyson, don't fight Takam or Kownacki or Pulev. 

I don't rate Whyte especially. His heart will always rule his head and the red mist will always take over. His short combos, his low left when he right hooks... he's going to get knocked out by a World Champion. 

But he's great for the fans. He's taken risk after risk and he entertains. Give the man his title shot. 

Glad Price won. 

Think Thurman will win later on. Hungrier with more to prove. Outstanding boxer. 

11 hours ago, Alpha said:

I don't rate Whyte especially. His heart will always rule his head and the red mist will always take over. His short combos, his low left when he right hooks... he's going to get knocked out by a World Champion. 

But he's great for the fans. He's taken risk after risk and he entertains. Give the man his title shot. 

Entertaining though isn't he? And he's built a nice little run of wins against serious opponents. If he leaves himself open and unbalanced to Wilder like he did in the 9th last night it'll be game over, but I wouldn't rule out Whyte getting to Wilder first.

8 hours ago, Needlesh said:

Entertaining though isn't he? And he's built a nice little run of wins against serious opponents. If he leaves himself open and unbalanced to Wilder like he did in the 9th last night it'll be game over, but I wouldn't rule out Whyte getting to Wilder first.

If they don't make Wilder the Franchise Champion and then make the WBC vacant for Fury v Whyte. They're so desperate to have American based heavyweight champions. 

Would love it to happen though. Anything that gets that belt off Wilder and Haymon 

I thought Thurman would win also, he looked a bit rusty in his last fight but before that looked the best at this weight. But Pac showed he still has it - even though I didn't think he did.

Whyte looked gone in the ninth, I really thought he was going to get stopped. He's a good boxer, maybe the same sort of level as someone like Ortiz, but as @Alpha says he hasn't got the class and moves to have anything except a punchers chance.

But he just might, just like Amir just might against Pacquaio...

Price looked surprisingly good, he really could have been something if he'd only learnt to keep his chin on his chest.

Edited by BaaLocks

Looks like Whyte failed a drugs test prior to his bout.

If true, Eddie Hearn's statement about him being cleared to fight raises a few questions about his stewardship. 

Health related, he let 2 boxers fight in the knowledge one was doping, and who knows what damage that would cause to either boxer. 

He was quick to slag off Millar when he failed numerous tests prior to his potential bout with Joshua. 

He had a chance to take a real stance against doping and pull out Whyte, but he obviously put £ before anything else. Poor show, he's going have to do some serious explaining on this one.