AmericanRam

Boxing Thread

Made an easy fight look easy. That's just a keeping warm fight for Fury and a few quid for ESPN. What they really needed was to let Tyson loose in Vegas to win people over by being the best version of himself. 

Mission accomplished. Perfect 10/10 for Tyson and he can't do much more than that. 

They sent AJ to do the same thing tbf. So fair play to Tyson for not messing up what another brilliant fighter messed up vs Ruiz. 

Next fight needs to be a name. Then take the belt off that absolute twit

Thought Fury did pretty much everything asked of him - showed good defence, finished ruthlessly and entertained along the way. A very good night's work for him. I do think he has now slipped into the number one slot - Wilder always has a banger's shot and Joshua is better than what we saw at MSG. But Fury has really rounded himself out to be not only the better boxer but also the better draw. Amazing to think he's managed this only 40 months after his infamous comments about homosexuals and less than eighteen months after being cleared to box again (and we all know what happened in the period between those two dates). 

Only two things will challenge Fury - one is Usyk, who has enough to be a real threat if he wants to, and the other is Father Time. Fury is 30 now, reactions are the first thing to go and he relies on his so much given he is not the biggest banger out there. I'd love to see him clean up in this division, I really would, but he will need a pretty clear run at it and with the likes of Al Hayman to duke without outside the ring it won't be easy to do it.

48 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Thought Fury did pretty much everything asked of him - showed good defence, finished ruthlessly and entertained along the way. A very good night's work for him. I do think he has now slipped into the number one slot - Wilder always has a banger's shot and Joshua is better than what we saw at MSG. But Fury has really rounded himself out to be not only the better boxer but also the better draw. Amazing to think he's managed this only 40 months after his infamous comments about homosexuals and less than eighteen months after being cleared to box again (and we all know what happened in the period between those two dates). 

Only two things will challenge Fury - one is Usyk, who has enough to be a real threat if he wants to, and the other is Father Time. Fury is 30 now, reactions are the first thing to go and he relies on his so much given he is not the biggest banger out there. I'd love to see him clean up in this division, I really would, but he will need a pretty clear run at it and with the likes of Al Hayman to duke without outside the ring it won't be easy to do it.

Speaking of Usyk did you see the two cruiserweight fights? 

Them cruiserweight are animals. Dorticos knockout was a punch that travelled like a meter to land on the chin. 

And the Briedis fight was crazy. Lucky he wasn't disqualified 

Usyk taking the route he did through the WSS is a real testament to him. Really tough guys and I think Usyk and Gassiev will be in big heavyweight fights

15 hours ago, Alpha said:

Speaking of Usyk did you see the two cruiserweight fights? 

Them cruiserweight are animals. Dorticos knockout was a punch that travelled like a meter to land on the chin. 

And the Briedis fight was crazy. Lucky he wasn't disqualified 

Usyk taking the route he did through the WSS is a real testament to him. Really tough guys and I think Usyk and Gassiev will be in big heavyweight fights

Saw the Briedis one - even he admitted it was out of order post fight. How long before we have VAR in boxing?

On the other point, Gassiev is a strange one - I can't get beyond the Usyk fight when he didn't really turn up but I also agree that there are some good paydays down the track for him if he wants them.

But Usyk vs Fury could be something for the ages.

Posted (edited)

Wow, Joshua certainly looks like he has just got himself a mountain to climb. Usyk is pretty much the most dangerous heavyweight out there and now AJ has been ordered to fight him straight after a career defining fight (which he should / must win, if he doesn't it was nice knowing you). I know he is obsessed with being the unified holder but it really does look like the moment has gone, in my opinion he'd be very well served to let the WBO belt go, hunt down Wilder and then come back to Usyk if and when he's learnt how to defend. If he does decide to let the belt go, which he really should, I could see maybe Whyte against Usyk for that belt and after that we have another name in the mix. Fascinating times....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/48738582

Edited by BaaLocks

3 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Wow, Joshua certainly looks like he has just got himself a mountain to climb. Usyk is pretty much the most dangerous heavyweight out there and now AJ has been ordered to fight him straight after a career defining fight (which he should / must win, if he doesn't it was nice knowing you). I know he is obsessed with being the unified holder but it really does look like the moment has gone, in my opinion he'd be very well served to let the WBO belt go, hunt down Wilder and then come back to Usyk if and when he's learnt how to defend. If he does decide to let the belt go, which he really should, I could see maybe Whyte against Usyk for that belt and after that we have another name in the mix. Fascinating times....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/48738582

I think that's exactly how he should and will play it. Vacate and fight Tyson or Wilder next summer. Tough fight but those are the only names that he could lose to and still be part of the elite club. 

Pulev would make a good fight if he beats Ruiz. Try and get Tyson or Wilder to sign first and then people won't moan about him avoiding Usyk. He can save face and still move forward. 

Losing to Usyk won't hurt him once Usyk has proven himself at that weight. But with his bicep injury he's only going to fight once before an AJ clash. Losing to two 6ft3" guys who have never won a big HW fight would set AJ back massively. 

I am really excited to see Usyk and Gassiev at that weight. I think Gassiev will surprise a few. Hope a couple of other cruisers come up too. They're really good all round fighters. Big lads that can box and brawl

10 hours ago, Alpha said:

Hope a couple of other cruisers come up too. They're really good all round fighters. Big lads that can box and brawl

Worked for Evander...

I have been getting the odd YouTube recommendation boxing videos thrown at me since I have watch a couple of highlights of the big recent fights it has re-ignighted my love for the sport, some of the lighter hearted ones have been showboating boxers who get knocked out my favourite is 

Watch from 3:12

3 hours ago, JG400 said:

I have been getting the odd YouTube recommendation boxing videos thrown at me since I have watch a couple of highlights of the big recent fights it has re-ignighted my love for the sport, some of the lighter hearted ones have been showboating boxers who get knocked out my favourite is 

Watch from 3:12

That's the prat from Derby.

2 hours ago, ossieram said:

That's the prat from Derby.

Funny all the same I love boxing it makes fools of them all

Didn't realize he was a local fella, it is a thing of legend.

Khan fight last night was a bit of a joke. Basically he knows he's out the elite class now, picking up a few pay packets on the promise of what might be but his days are gone.

Dubois vs Gorman tonight promises to be interesting. Agree with all the journos who are saying this is a strange one to be happening so early in their careers but I also guess one of them can afford to have a 'and one' on their card and still go a long way. Dubois looks the tidier fighter on paper and at the weigh in but when did we say that recently and it didn't go to plan? Still think he'll get it though - really hard one to call but middle rounds TKO for me. But don't slate me tomorrow - I'm Brexit on it (i.e. only about 52% convinced).

Nope, very wrong. Bit of a tame effort at boxing after claiming he's way ahead of Dubois in skills. He wasn't slick. He got blasted away. 

I find Dubois and Joyce a bit... I dunno. I just don't think they're THAT good. They're both brawlers. I expect to see them in a nightclub car park. Hard bar stewards for sure but... I think any fighter with quick feet and some smarts that comes to win will trouble them. Luckily they can avoid that and kind of con there way up the ladder. But they're a poor Dillian Whyte. In my opinion anyway. 

Dubois does have time tbf. Joyce is going to bite off more than he can chew next year 

On 14/07/2019 at 00:02, Alpha said:

Nope, very wrong. Bit of a tame effort at boxing after claiming he's way ahead of Dubois in skills. He wasn't slick. He got blasted away. 

I find Dubois and Joyce a bit... I dunno. I just don't think they're THAT good. They're both brawlers. I expect to see them in a nightclub car park. Hard bar stewards for sure but... I think any fighter with quick feet and some smarts that comes to win will trouble them. Luckily they can avoid that and kind of con there way up the ladder. But they're a poor Dillian Whyte. In my opinion anyway. 

Dubois does have time tbf. Joyce is going to bite off more than he can chew next year 

My thoughts on last weeks cards. 

Fury zzzzzzz

Khan was a mismatch. 

Didnt like the whole Jeddah promotion at all. Seemed a bit like forced entertainment. Sheikhs sat at the side of the ring in big seats by themselves either not watching the fights or recording them on their phone. One of them walked Khan into the ring and was more interested in making sure the crowd saw him. 

Its just seemed all fur coat and no knickers. 

Joyce works hard and can take a punch, but he's so slow. 

I was surprised by Dubois. For a young lad, he took a few puches and did a very good job on Gorman. From a marketing point of view he's not the sharpest is he? His interview was very robotic, and he could of acknowledged Gorman. 

I thought Tyson Fury interviews ringside on Saturday were brilliant. He looks so much at peace with the world at the moment.