Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

3 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Bums? I'd pay a pound to see you call them that to their faces mate! 

I’d beat and not just beat, I’d knock all of these wusses out with one hand behind my back. One after the other. You can even make Eddie Hearn the referee to make it fair for them because I’m generous.

20 minutes ago, Alpha said:

But I think the IBF will order him to fight Pulev in the same time period. 

The belts are going to be split again I think. He'll defend Pulev and let Usyk have that WBO. They'll build that fight up and Usyk will be easier to negotiate with than if the IBF goes Pulev's way. 

Yes that makes sense and what I was thinking would happen, and usyk has the chisora fight too doesn’t he and potentially whyte after that(although I think even that would be a fight or two too soon)? On the other hand, it could be better for Aj to get usyk out the way and beat him whilst he’s getting used to the jump up to heavyweight boxing. Would be surprised to see Usyk take it so soon though no matter what he’s said in the past

1 minute ago, Sexydadbod said:

I’d beat and not just beat, I’d knock all of these wusses out with one hand behind my back. One after the other. You can even make Eddie Hearn the referee to make it fair for them because I’m generous.

Hate how disrespectful some fight 'fans' are. Just 3 one minute rounds feel like a lifetime, or they did to me and it's a hard old way to graft a living.

Pretty much anyone prepared to climb through the ropes has my respect tbh and whilst Ruiz is not in the same bracket as the likes of AJ, WIlder, Dury and Usyk, he's certainly no bum, let alone the others. One fighter to another, ok, that's part and parcel but that's it IMO.

19 minutes ago, Sexydadbod said:

Yes that makes sense and what I was thinking would happen, and usyk has the chisora fight too doesn’t he and potentially whyte after that(although I think even that would be a fight or two too soon)? On the other hand, it could be better for Aj to get usyk out the way and beat him whilst he’s getting used to the jump up to heavyweight boxing. Would be surprised to see Usyk take it so soon though no matter what he’s said in the past

Yeah I think it suits everyone if Usyk goes against Chisora.

For Usyk, Chisora is an easier fight than Joshua. He wins the belt he has more negotiating power. More time to get used to these 17st opponents. 

For Hearn it whoever wins they're signed to matchroom and the belts are in hand. He can build Usyk/Chisora v Joshua for a year (their fight schedule won't work for next year) 

For Joshua it's a small, fast and skillful fighter avoided to be replaced by Pulev. The WBO stays nearby. 

Yeah, if I was Joshua I'd rather fight Usyk now than later. But I bet he can be talked out of it easily. It just makes more sense to let it build. 

Boxing politics and belts eh? 

Thing is, these guys are seriously fit, strong and pack a punch. 

Skill means you can keep out of the opponent's way for a while but then there's the sudden need to take a big punch from a guy weighing about 17 stones who knows what he's doing. 

Every fight against a 'bum' is dangerous because whilst outclassed, he vsn still knock you out. 

I congratulate Joshua because he's British but he isn't a scrapper who can adjust to the deepest need to win and he will lose against mentally tougher opposition. 

4 hours ago, Alpha said:

Povetkin looking old there but no way did he look hurt in round 1 like Sky are saying. There were times he couldn't keep up and Hunter was faster at everything  but he didn't rock him in round 1. He tripped on the ring once!! 

He did have Povetkin in big trouble near the end though. I think it was close to getting stopped. Just Povetkin kept those deadly short hooks coming around enough. 

Hunter threw the fight in the 12th. Just had to see it out and not do anything stupid. 

But he should have won anyway. Close fight though and would have been a gigantic win if he'd stayed on the outside in the 12th. 

In a pub with no comms and looked a draw from my seat. 

Decent fight. 

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

I'm not sure why he went so heavy

Guessing he was expecting Joshua to box on the jab and thought if he was going to have limited opportunity that he'd make them count

He was really really strong tbf. He could bully Joshua in the clinch. Just look how Joshua rolled with every wrestle and punch. He looked so light on his feet and that was a performance that Tyson Fury would be proud of. Probably won't even need a shower! 

Ruiz can take a shot to the head. He just keeps on plodding forward. Id like to see Wilder v Ruiz

6 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Ruiz can take a shot to the head. He just keeps on plodding forward. Id like to see Wilder v Ruiz

No great fan of Wilder's as the man has far more chat than technical ability, but he does have the heaviest hands in the game right now. Ruiz is very durable but far from mobile, especially when he's tipping the scales at over 20 stone. Wilder lays him out for me and Ruiz would struggle to lay a glove on Fury whom whilst lacking the power of Wilder and AJ, has more technical ability than either of them. For the time being, Ruiz is on the outside with no obvious fast route back in.

8 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

In a pub with no comms and looked a draw from my seat. 

Decent fight. 

I actually prefer it with no commentary, at least without the commentary from the sky team because they’re all always incredibly biased, Johnny nelson, Adam Smith, Tony Bellew, Carl Froch, the lot of them. It wasn’t so much a problem in this fight because we all knew AJ deserved to win but they always let their bias get in the way of their commentary. Bellew said a few weeks ago that Canelo will be terrified of Callum Smith after his masterclass against Ryder, when anyone who saw that fight, would say that Ryder battered Callum Smith. 

They should introduce Pauli malignaggi more, he’s always the only one who is unbiased. I can’t remember which fight it was, it might have been Usyk v Bellew but Pauli actually called the rest of the commentary team about their BS because they were over scoring the scorecards and said we shouldn’t be looking to give him rounds just because he’s British and you want him to him.

Dillian did enough, routine tick-over win. He'll be lighter and sharper when he gets his title shot. Love watching him box, because it's always a bit on the edge. You never know if he's going to spark someone out or walk onto one himself.

Povetkin just lost to Hunter for me, but it was close enough that the draw wasn't a disgrace,

Fury, Wilder and AJ surely need to go against each other over the next 18 months, belt ******** be damned. Usyk is a wildcard and he could win a belt, as could Dillian if the stars align, but I don't think he'll have the tools to beat all three. Then again, who saw Ruiz winning the belts last summer? Fascinating division at the moment.

8 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

That fight shows me what I've known for a while -the standard of heavyweight boxing has been appalling for at least 18 years.  Riddick'big daddy' Bowe started it .

I bet people have been saying that since the beginning of time.

Same with football and Messi v Pele. 

But the athletes and sports science have advanced. 

I think Klitschko would be a massive problem for any heavyweight in history. 

Nostalgic fans would probably find more enjoyment in the Cruiserweight division. But when these guys step up to fight the big clumsy heavies they find them too big and strong.

2 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I bet people have been saying that since the beginning of time.

Same with football and Messi v Pele. 

But the athletes and sports science have advanced. 

I think Klitschko would be a massive problem for any heavyweight in history. 

Nostalgic fans would probably find more enjoyment in the Cruiserweight division. But when these guys step up to fight the big clumsy heavies they find them too big and strong.

Think Fury's return to the fold after his earlier issues has breathed life back into the division myself. I really thought he was done. I couldn't see any plausible way back for him if truth be told. Left me thinking that AJ would absolutely dominate the division but begrudgingly I have to admit that in WIlder, I saw only a guy who'd fought no one but he's proved me wrong too.

Usyk adds further spice to what now appears to be an incredibly competitive division. Is he durable enough to stand with the big lads? Not sure as yet but from a technical standpoint, he has more speed and better footwork than any of them. 2020 is going to be a huge year with some belting match-ups for sure, so this is another occasion where I'm pretty chuffed to have got it all wrong!

44 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Think Fury's return to the fold after his earlier issues has breathed life back into the division myself. I really thought he was done. I couldn't see any plausible way back for him if truth be told. Left me thinking that AJ would absolutely dominate the division but begrudgingly I have to admit that in WIlder, I saw only a guy who'd fought no one but he's proved me wrong too.

Usyk adds further spice to what now appears to be an incredibly competitive division. Is he durable enough to stand with the big lads? Not sure as yet but from a technical standpoint, he has more speed and better footwork than any of them. 2020 is going to be a huge year with some belting match-ups for sure, so this is another occasion where I'm pretty chuffed to have got it all wrong!

Think the division is the most exciting I remember. The styles are a brilliant mix. Like you said, Wilder would put Ruiz to sleep. Fury would batter him for 12 rounds and Ruiz would look a mess. For AJ he's a nightmare. Yet AJ would be a problem for Wilder because Wilder is vulnerable and AJ hits very hard. That could be a chaotic fight. Fury can beat all of them but doesn't plant his feet. So his defence has to be spot on. He's been dropped what? 3 times in his career? He's not perfect. And as you say Usyk is a perfect all round fighter at Cruiserweight but these guys are 3st heavier some of them. And 5-6 inches taller with the same again in reach.

Fascinating. With Hrgovic, Whyte, Hunter, Povetkin, Parker, Chisora, Gassiev, Ortiz, Bakole, Dubois, Takam and more all with an outside chance like Ruiz did to put themselves in there. 

Then if these Cruiserweight's step up to follow Hunter/Usyk... theres a bunch of talent there. 

9 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Think the division is the most exciting I remember. The styles are a brilliant mix. Like you said, Wilder would put Ruiz to sleep. Fury would batter him for 12 rounds and Ruiz would look a mess. For AJ he's a nightmare. Yet AJ would be a problem for Wilder because Wilder is vulnerable and AJ hits very hard. That could be a chaotic fight. Fury can beat all of them but doesn't plant his feet. So his defence has to be spot on. He's been dropped what? 3 times in his career? He's not perfect. And as you say Usyk is a perfect all round fighter at Cruiserweight but these guys are 3st heavier some of them. And 5-6 inches taller with the same again in reach.

Fascinating. With Hrgovic, Whyte, Hunter, Povetkin, Parker, Chisora, Gassiev, Ortiz, Bakole, Dubois, Takam and more all with an outside chance like Ruiz did to put themselves in there. 

Then if these Cruiserweight's step up to follow Hunter/Usyk... theres a bunch of talent there. 

Agree with all of that. On a side note, I admire Usyk a lot as I don't think he's a heavyweight who early doors could do sub 200lbs at a push, rather he seemed pretty comfortable at cruiserweight but ran out of meaningful challengers.   I didn't realise he'd dropped Ali Bashir but had noted some marked similarities to Loma, but have just read Loma senior is now training both of them. 

On the subject of trainers and training regimes, whatever that Ukrainian dance routine is, if I were a pro boxer I'd be getting me some of that! I only boxed at school and lost as many as I won, but I always preferred to fight a puncher than a technician. Bumps and bruises fade quickly but being made to look daft always hurt me far more and for far longer ?

Forgot about this thread. Good morning.

Safe to say that fight wasn't as thrilling as the previous, however credit to AJ for playing smart.

I reckon he'll beat Usyk, then go up against the winner of Fury v Wilder ( so Fury, obviously...) and then I think Fury will take his titles.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Is Jack Massey a Ram? Hails from Derbyshire.

Just fought for the Lonsdale belt live on Sky in a brilliant fight vs Richard Riakphore, where he was clearly on the end of some poor judging (the matchroom fighter wins!...)

He lives in my town top lad, so unlucky tonight