Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

Good tactical plan by Rob McCracken, who I think deserves the most credit here. Also gotta give credit to Aj for sticking to the plan instead of being tempted to get involved in a scrap and trying to win the titles back in absolute fashion . Must admit, I didn’t think he had it in him again after the previous defeat. Thought it was a bit arrogant by Ruiz’s camp, he went in thinking AJ would approach it the same way as the first fight and tried too hard to try and get Aj into a brawl instead of focusing on his own game.

13 minutes ago, Rambam said:

That’s embarrassing. Ruiz didn’t take it seriously, did he? 

F0E812CF-9D86-462F-9B27-AA8A1916EB80.jpeg

I'm not sure why he went so heavy

Guessing he was expecting Joshua to box on the jab and thought if he was going to have limited opportunity that he'd make them count

He was really really strong tbf. He could bully Joshua in the clinch. Just look how Joshua rolled with every wrestle and punch. He looked so light on his feet and that was a performance that Tyson Fury would be proud of. Probably won't even need a shower! 

A very professional performance from Aj who steadfastly refused to stand and trade and rightly so. He boxed Ruiz's ears off tonight and while maybe first time around AJs camp did not give Ruiz enough respect, tonight it was the reverse scenario. Got a lot of respect for Ruiz who is game as they come but he'd clearly not put the work in since winning the first fight. Whether that made any difference I doubt but it might be something he'll one day regret nonetheless. 

Perhaps he thought AJ would come looking for him but if he did he was probably the only person who did.

Really impressed with AJ's footwork. Not seen him look anywhere near that mobile and elusive before, it's a whole new string to his bow IMO. Having shed a few lbs, which I think he needed to, he was on his toes the whole fight and still didn't seem remotely gassed. Worked well behind the jab, threw some solid shots and never really looked in any danger at all. Calm and clinical would be a fair description.

Most pleasing is the fact that we now once again have the prospect of some real 'super-fights' with Wilder, Tyson and Usyk out there. It's great to have a really vibrant heavyweight division again, that's for sure.  Looking forward to the next chapter already!

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

What did you think of Whyte? I thought he looked well off his game, I was really disappointed with his showing, he was second best for parts of that fight. Didn't look up for it.

As soon as I saw him with no top on I thought he looked over weight. That bulk he packs is usually solid. 

I was worried for him during the latter stages weren't you? 

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

As soon as I saw him with no top on I thought he looked over weight. That bulk he packs is usually solid. 

I was worried for him during the latter stages weren't you? 

Definitely, he was wobbling a bit. He started out ok, but as the fight got on, it never looked like he was comfortable. It's lucky for him that it wasn't 12 rounds, he was done by the end. 

1 minute ago, Sexydadbod said:

But I think the IBF will order him to fight Pulev in the same time period. 

The belts are going to be split again I think. He'll defend Pulev and let Usyk have that WBO. They'll build that fight up and Usyk will be easier to negotiate with than if the IBF goes Pulev's way. 

I reckon Joshua was fitter than he has ever been since turning Pro. He was lighter on his feet and wasn't blowing through his rear end after 5 or 6 rounds. Ruiz was really over weight but still looked fitter after 12 rounds than Dillian Whyte did after 6 and also must has a chin of granite to not even wobble when Joshua did connect.

14 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Definitely, he was wobbling a bit. He started out ok, but as the fight got on, it never looked like he was comfortable. It's lucky for him that it wasn't 12 rounds, he was done by the end. 

Yeah. I like him because he'll fight anyone and he just bites down on his gum shield for a shootout. But he thinks he's a bit tougher than he is.