Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

I've just seen the interview they got the headline from. 

Hilarious. 

He says anyone is welcome to his fights. But he's going to a country with laws that you have to abide by. He's not fighting for any cause except his own. He's not wearing a cape for any community. Just wants his belts back.

And they have the headline..

"Anthony  Joshua dismisses Saudi Arabia death penalty for homosexuals and said you can still watch his fight on TV"

Impressive. Do you have to be a Bamford to work for The Sun or just be really good at pretending to be one? Also, do you justify it at night by saying you're just doing your job? ?

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Squid said:

bit late to the party on commenting on this, but its actually ridiculous, also putting Billy Joe Saunders on the UNDERCARD for this piece of poop.

All complaints aside £5 on KSI to win in the 3rd round is a shout.

Yeah, not sure how Billy Joe Saunders himself is okay with being on the undercard for YouTubers. 

I'm going to watch for the spectacle, but I do kind of hope KSI wins.

KSI v Logan Paul being a main boxing event supported by a top promoter and real serious fighters is a bit like Man City playing Liverpool but instead of the players it's 11 fans v 11 fans

It's undermining the sport. It's sport but it's serious sport and the athletes who have put in years of dedication and are actually the most skilled people in their trade should be the stars. 

But Eddie Hearn has been losing the plot and blindly chasing gold ever since DAZN got going. 

If he was in charge of football you'd have the PL play games abroad. 

"Its a global game and we are taking it to these poor Saudi Arabian kids that will never get to a PL game. It's for the kid$$$"

banker

• 3 weeks later...

Feel sad about Errol Spence Jnr. Brilliant fighter and if anyone saw him fight Porter last week then how can anyone say it isn't tragic. 

But you go blazing down the street like that and the only people you can really feel sorry for is those out there with him that are in danger. 

Good luck to him though. I'm guessing his fighting days are done. ?

Speaking of tragic, just came across this on the Beeb site. Patrick Day has passed away after suffering a brain injury in a fight against Charles Conwell.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/50066825

This after Dadashev and Santillan passed died two days apart back in the summer. Hard to know what can be done really. I think a few years back there was a groundswell for more heavily padded gloves but I think some studies indicated this might exacerbate brain injuries rather than than reduce their likelihood. It's a tough old game, is boxing.

Thoughts go out to Conwell too. Horrible position to find yourself in. 

4 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Speaking of tragic, just came across this on the Beeb site. Patrick Day has passed away after suffering a brain injury in a fight against Charles Conwell.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/50066825

This after Dadashev and Santillan passed died two days apart back in the summer. Hard to know what can be done really. I think a few years back there was a groundswell for more heavily padded gloves but I think some studies indicated this might exacerbate brain injuries rather than than reduce their likelihood. It's a tough old game, is boxing.

Thoughts go out to Conwell too. Horrible position to find yourself in. 

It's so sad what happened. I love the fighting but deaths make it not worth it to me. I know people fight certain categories for entertainment No one deserves such fighting, hope he is ok.

Thrilling night so far. 

Price doing what he always does. Fights like a small man. Like him a lot but if there's one person you don't fight small against it's Chisora. Chisora is a horrible opponent. Tough, shows no signs of hurt, huge overhand shots... he'll walk onto anything you ask him to but you have to take him walkies. Good fight. Price only ever good for 4 rounds. 

Burns and Selby was good fun. I had it 116-113 Selby. Really good scrap and all rounds but 1 that Burns dominated were close. Selby just busier. 

Okolie was crap to watch as always. Try Judo or something. Can't stand him

Benn isn't going to the top. 

Now Taylor v Prograis has everything needed to be a thriller.

16 hours ago, Needlesh said:

Kovalev vs that genius Mexican drug cheat tonight then? 

Surely a mismatch in physique?

Not seen the fight but I thought Canelo would win. Kovalev isn't the fighter he once was. Ever since the first Ward loss he's looked a softer touch. 

I know he's a cheat and he hand picks his opponents, Canelo, but he's a phenomenal fighter. Granite chin

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

I like Felix Cash. Got a nice style to watch. Tall for the weight too isn't he?

1st time Ive seen him box. Looks to have a decent chin and very very aggressive. 

They both earned whatever money they got paid. 

On 23/09/2019 at 01:59, Alpha said:

It's undermining the sport. It's sport but it's serious sport and the athletes who have put in years of dedication and are actually the most skilled people in their trade should be the stars. 

I disagree with a lot of what you’ve said in that post, but this is the thing I have the biggest issue with. Of course, they haven’t spent their whole lives dedicated to boxing, but they’ve been living the lives of professional boxers for months now. No drinking, eating properly, training multiple times a day and getting in serious shape. I know very little about boxing so I won’t have any idea of the standard they’re at, but I do know that they’ve both worked extremely hard for this. It’s all anyone is talking about on YouTube at the minute. 

On 23/09/2019 at 01:59, Alpha said:

KSI v Logan Paul being a main boxing event supported by a top promoter and real serious fighters is a bit like Man City playing Liverpool but instead of the players it's 11 fans v 11 fans

But Eddie Hearn has been losing the plot and blindly chasing gold ever since DAZN got going. 

If he was in charge of football you'd have the PL play games abroad. 

"Its a global game and we are taking it to these poor Saudi Arabian kids that will never get to a PL game. It's for the kid$$$"

banker

2 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I disagree with a lot of what you’ve said in that post, but this is the thing I have the biggest issue with. Of course, they haven’t spent their whole lives dedicated to boxing, but they’ve been living the lives of professional boxers for months now. No drinking, eating properly, training multiple times a day and getting in serious shape. I know very little about boxing so I won’t have any idea of the standard they’re at, but I do know that they’ve both worked extremely hard for this. It’s all anyone is talking about on YouTube at the minute. 

Also, whilst you may not agree with the decisions Hearn makes, you might warm to him a little if you watch this. He's a really engaging bloke that you can tell loves the sport. 

And to qualify my earlier post, I'd have exactly the same opinion as you re KSI vs Logan Paul if it was football.