Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

4 hours ago, Jourdan said:

I read an article quoting Ruiz and apparently the venue is not confirmed and nothing is signed and sealed.

A fight in Saudi Arabia might be lucrative but it’s the boxing equivalent of hosting a major final in Baku.

Surely if you were Joshua and Joshua’s camp, you’d want to go back to the US and banish those demons?

Apparently AJ wanted New York but Hearn and his team wanted UK to make sure AJ got the belts. 

Ruiz has kicked up a fuss constantly as I think he'd much rather avoid the rematch because now he's probably being underpaid for it. They say New York and he says Mexico. They say UK and he says anywhere but UK. They say Saudi Arabia and he says New York. He's complained about money many times. 

Tbf he is the Champ and if he rematches AJ he's essentially accepting the terms of a challenger again. I'm sure he's had great offers for other fights because he's seen as a weak Champion. 

Saudi Arabia... it's just not relevant in the boxing world. I'm not against the culture or anything like that. I'm a bit of a Middle East sympathiser actually. But it's just not relevant to this fight. 

UK, USA, Nigeria and Mexico would all be understandable. 

I'm starting to doubt the fight will happen. Boxing is not about belts it's about value. Right now Ruiz has value and doesn't necessarily need the belts to get in big fights. Not all of them anyway. AJ needs Ruiz. But the money split doesn't reflect that. 

For 5 years or so boxing has been a huge interest to people who previously didn't care for it. Now the greed and politics are pulling it back down again. 

It's taking years to make fights. Years! 

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

Apparently AJ wanted New York but Hearn and his team wanted UK to make sure AJ got the belts. 

Ruiz has kicked up a fuss constantly as I think he'd much rather avoid the rematch because now he's probably being underpaid for it. They say New York and he says Mexico. They say UK and he says anywhere but UK. They say Saudi Arabia and he says New York. He's complained about money many times. 

Tbf he is the Champ and if he rematches AJ he's essentially accepting the terms of a challenger again. I'm sure he's had great offers for other fights because he's seen as a weak Champion. 

Saudi Arabia... it's just not relevant in the boxing world. I'm not against the culture or anything like that. I'm a bit of a Middle East sympathiser actually. But it's just not relevant to this fight. 

UK, USA, Nigeria and Mexico would all be understandable. 

I'm starting to doubt the fight will happen. Boxing is not about belts it's about value. Right now Ruiz has value and doesn't necessarily need the belts to get in big fights. Not all of them anyway. AJ needs Ruiz. But the money split doesn't reflect that. 

For 5 years or so boxing has been a huge interest to people who previously didn't care for it. Now the greed and politics are pulling it back down again. 

It's taking years to make fights. Years! 

He got a shot out of nowhere, so I'd have thought that the rematch terms would have been stated in the original contract. Shows what I know.

1 hour ago, Needlesh said:

He got a shot out of nowhere, so I'd have thought that the rematch terms would have been stated in the original contract. Shows what I know.

No, they were. And that's why he's gone public with every complaint possible. 

It looks to me like the terms he accepted for the fight were good at the time. But since winning he must have had so many offers from other heavyweights. Not to mention he went from some fat heavyweight on the circuit to a major player instantly. 

I think Hearn has kind of made it clear that the rematch venue is to be decided by them in the event of an AJ loss. 

I just wonder if he's thinking of a way to get out of the rematch. He's complained about every single thing so far but he signed the contract. 

It smells like he wants the world to know Hearn and AJ are ripping him off and cheating him. That's why he keeps asking for things he knows he can't have (like a fight in Mexico). I just wouldn't be surprised if he pulls the plug with "they are trying to cheat me" and walks away with no belts. 

The only thing he'd have to worry about is what happens legally when you break a contract. His value wouldn't go down. He would lose the belts but belts don't count for much in boxing. He would still be a champion to the fans. 

Wouldn't surprise me if other fighters promoters have offered to compensate him if he walks away from the rematch.

He could always come back to AJ in the future and negotiate a better deal. He could go for the WBC (I'm sure Wilder would want Ruiz now).

The belts will be split up anyway next year. 

On 23/08/2019 at 19:24, Gap tooth ram said:

So then, Kovalev Vs Yarde, experienced pro Vs the young lion, what we thinking folks? 

Hope Yarde wins personally, but think Kovalev wins a biased home score card myself.

Kovalev has lost something he had about him before the Ward fights. Got the job done though. 

I don't like Yarde. Or his idiot trainer. 

16 hours ago, Needlesh said:

So, are we giving Csmpbell a chance at all against Lomachenko?

Not really. He might start off well using his height but as soon as Loma figures him out then it's one way traffic imo. 

He'll probably put in the performance of a lifetime though. He put in a good performance against Linares and he's had a defeat since then I think to Mendy? He came back from that better

Be an entertaining fight though. Loma's skills v a talented underdog with big height advantage. Won't be dull. 

Good for Campbell that. Will feel a bit pooh but he's been in with Linares and Loma now and showed he's no whipping boy. He'll surely get some more big fights and be able to sniff around the top dogs

Loma, just got the answer to everything. He's not the biggest or strongest but he's incredible. 

4 in a row quit on him. An olympic champion and a KO artist had had enough after 6 rounds. He's fought Olympians, KO artists, Mexican pressure fighters... whatever you put in front of him he does to you whatever you want to do to him. 

Another monster from Ukraine. ?

Just now, Alpha said:

It smashes all boxing viewing figures out the park. 

I don't get it either. Rubbish

Apparently Billy Joe Saunders is fighting on the undercard for this too. Must be a bit humiliating for him. No surprise that Eddie Hearn managed to get himself involved though. I watched the first one, it wasn't great.

7 hours ago, Andicis said:

Apparently Billy Joe Saunders is fighting on the undercard for this too. Must be a bit humiliating for him. No surprise that Eddie Hearn managed to get himself involved though. I watched the first one, it wasn't great.

I was a fan of Hearn when he was putting on great UK shows. Since he got dazn deal he's put on poo shows and talked them up with plain ********. 

See The Sun have started attacking Anthony Joshua. 

I'm sure they were up his arse when he was winning. Failing to report his racism incident but are now reporting that he "dismisses the death penalty for homosexuals" and that he invites Jay Z, Beyonce and Instagram models to watch him fight. 

Interestingly there was more dirt on him when he was being played as a hero and right now he's more pissed off than anytime since the Breazeale fight and has done barely anything extravagant. 

When he was exploring Islam and chilling in Dubai and the Caribbean then The Scum was telling us how humble he is

Now he's been quiet and only been interested in boxing then they've gone digging for info they can put in their headline mixer.

If I was him I'd smash Andy Ruiz and then refuse to give interviews or anything to all the media that's jumped on the hate bandwagon since he lost. If I was him I'd post the negative stuff back up on twitter with just the comment "lol"

I'm not sure if he will win but I'm desperate for him to.