3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

The only series I've watched are (excluding comedies):

Breaking Bad

Game of Thrones

House of Cards (American version)

The Walking Dead

Better Call Saul

Westworld

Can anyone give me say a top three of series I should definitely watch? I could do with adding to my list. As from the above, I'm pretty open in terms of genre but I do admit I'm a huge fan of medieval fantasy.

ooh, you've got loads to get through.

Boardwalk Empire

The Wire

Man in the High Castle

Peaky Blinders

Black Mirror

Sons of Anarchy

Line of Duty

Luther

Vikings

Bosch

Jessica Jones

Ripper Street

off the top of my head.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

ooh, you've got loads to get through.

Boardwalk Empire

The Wire

Man in the High Castle

Peaky Blinders

Black Mirror

Sons of Anarchy

Line of Duty

Luther

Vikings

Bosch

Jessica Jones

Ripper Street

off the top of my head.

Suits not make the cut? 

On 24/05/2017 at 16:18, Bris Vegas said:

The only series I've watched are (excluding comedies):

Breaking Bad

Game of Thrones

House of Cards (American version)

The Walking Dead

Better Call Saul

Westworld

Can anyone give me say a top three of series I should definitely watch? I could do with adding to my list. As from the above, I'm pretty open in terms of genre but I do admit I'm a huge fan of medieval fantasy.

Narcos, Narcos & Narcos. In that order! 

On 24/05/2017 at 22:29, PodgeyRam said:

The trailer for the new series of Game of Thrones is out. Definitely a more cinematic feel to it than previous seasons - cutting those extra 3 episodes a season really pushed up the production budget!

Just trying to get my wife into game of thrones. I'd love to be able to sit and chat with her about it. She likes things like greys anatomy. The only thing we really watch together is Elementary (although we've now got a whole series of that to watch on box). 

We watched season 1 episode 1 last night. I'm really looking forward to rewatching it all. But she's not convinced after that episode.

So how do I sell it to her?

3 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Just trying to get my wife into game of thrones. I'd love to be able to sit and chat with her about it. She likes things like greys anatomy. The only thing we really watch together is Elementary (although we've now got a whole series of that to watch on box). 

We watched season 1 episode 1 last night. I'm really looking forward to rewatching it all. But she's not convinced after that episode.

I know a fair few women who like it. From what I can gather underneath all the sword and sorcery it's got elements that are reminiscent of a soap opera. Maybe tell her that?

4 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Tell her it gets better and stick it out for the first season at least and see if she wants to carry on after that.

55 minutes ago, rynny said:

Tell her it gets better and stick it out for the first season at least and see if she wants to carry on after that.

I'll try that one. At least I'll get one season out of her. 

The thing I remember about the first season was that they specifically failed down the magic and fantasy, and dialled up the boobs and sean bean, to suck people in. Then they were confident the story had gripped enough people they dialled down the boobs (been ages since I've seen Emelia Clarkes) and dialled up the sorcery. 

Ehats funny is that Sean Bean was the marquee star, making it such a shocker when he died (I think in this thread I don't have to call that a spoiler at this stage), and there were no other real marquee stars at that time. 

But since then, a lot have become stars in their own right. So my wife was going through saying, 'oh, she's jean grey' or 'she's the one from doctor who'. 

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone seen 13 reasons why?  It's on Netflix.

Brilliant college drama in which a girl who has committed suicide has left tapes implicating those she feels contributed to her death. It has caused controversy in the US, largely because the behaviour exhibited by the students is not atypical. Bullying and cruelty can come in the most forgettable forms.

Really gripping stuff and brilliantly acted by the young cast.

Equally relevant to teenagers and parents.

On 2017-4-18 at 21:37, Mostyn6 said:

13 Reasons Why (netflix)

Spectacular piece of television. Prepare to be moved though.

5 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Has anyone seen 13 reasons why?  It's on Netflix.

Brilliant college drama in which a girl who has committed suicide has left tapes implicating those she feels contributed to her death. It has caused controversy in the US, largely because the behaviour exhibited by the students is not atypical. Bullying and cruelty can come in the most forgettable forms.

Really gripping stuff and brilliantly acted by the young cast.

Equally relevant to teenagers and parents.

yep... weeks back.

Been watching "The Housemaid's Tale". A bit unlikely as storylines go, but then that's what makes a good storyline ?. Really enjoying it all the same. We've also recently watched both seasons (don't know if there are more but that's what's available over here) of Lucifer. Again, enjoyed that.

1 hour ago, richinspain said:

Been watching "The Housemaid's Tale". A bit unlikely as storylines go, but then that's what makes a good storyline ?. Really enjoying it all the same. We've also recently watched both seasons (don't know if there are more but that's what's available over here) of Lucifer. Again, enjoyed that.

*Handmaid's tale

18 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

not sure 'enjoyed' is the word. it definitely affected me. it kept me awake for a few nights. very powerful

Know what you mean.

Watched the last episode at the weekend plus the 30 minute programme involving the cast and team.

Hard to watch but all the more worthy because of that.

Archived