FA to look at introduction of B teams

Day

A new competition for Premier League and Championship clubs to field B teams will be considered by the Football Association on Wednesday.

It is being proposed that the teams could play in a league sandwiched between League Two and the Conference.

Another option is to merge League Two and the Conference with the B teams to form two regional leagues.

The proposals are part of FA chairman Greg Dyke's commission on the future of the national team.

It is understood that the Premier League and Football League clubs are broadly in favour of the B team concept, which would be predominantly made up of homegrown players, but have reservations about how it might fit into the pyramid and the knock-on effects to other leagues and competitions.

One question is whether current League Two clubs would be relegated into the Conference or the new B team league if they went down. The other difficult issue is how far could B teams be promoted?

Despite those worries, one source told the BBC that following more than 300 interviews with clubs and other stakeholders in the game, led by research consultant Peter Beverley, there was a universal acceptance that a major overhaul was needed to ensure big clubs' reserve teams and younger English talent were being given more regular, competitive football.

Commission members point to the fact that clubs in Spain, France and Germany all play B teams in competitive leagues - thought to be a big factor in those countries developing talent.

Dyke is believed to be keen to open the debate about the state of the national game ahead of the World Cup finals in Brazil which kick off on 12 June.

There is a determination to get on the front foot ahead of the tournament to pre-empt the inevitable debate which will follow if Roy Hodgson's England team put in a disappointing performance in Brazil.

Ironically the emergence of players like Raheem Sterling at Liverpool and Adam Lallana at Southampton have taken some of the heat out of that debate in recent months.

And some senior figures inside the FA are urging Dyke to hold fire until after the competition and until all the finer details of the commission's proposals are ironed out.

The Dyke commission was set up last autumn to try and address ongoing concerns about the strength of the English national team and the lack of top-class English talent forcing its way through into Premier League first teams.

The commission, which includes former England manager Glenn Hoddle, former Leeds boss Howard Wilkinson and ex-Crewe manager Dario Gradi, is aiming to deal with two major questions - the pathway for players aged between 17 and 21 and grassroots facilities.

While it is thought the commission has done extensive work on the first question, the issue of grassroots football is not yet complete.

Other proposals expected to go before the FA board on Wednesday include a shake-up of the loan system and changes to the homegrown player quotas operated by Premier League and Football League clubs.

But it is the B team proposal that promises to be the most controversial.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27289819

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd turn my back on football if this was to happen - sickening idea. Obviously made my people maximising profits, not interested in the integrity of the game.

Manchester United B vs Chelsea B to Premier League supporters is more interesting than Barnsley v Ipswich Town for instance. 

I really hope it doesn't happen. It is right up there with a closed Premier League. 

it encourages big clubs to stock-pile players, what's wrong with the current set-up?

I'd turn my back on football if this was to happen - sickening idea. Obviously made my people maximising profits, not interested in the integrity of the game.

Manchester United B vs Chelsea B to Premier League supporters is more interesting than Barnsley v Ipswich Town for instance. 

I really hope it doesn't happen. It is right up there with a closed Premier League. 

it encourages big clubs to stock-pile players, what's wrong with the current set-up?

Are you sure that you are not over-reacting? They are merely bringing something to the table to discuss, with the view of improving football development in this country. The proposal is that the league would fit between League 2 and the Conference, possibly even merge those two leagues and include some B teams. I would prefer Derby to be putting a team up against League 2 / Conference standard rather than U21 games.

Are you sure that you are not over-reacting? They are merely bringing something to the table to discuss, with the view of improving football development in this country. The proposal is that the league would fit between League 2 and the Conference, possibly even merge those two leagues and include some B teams. I would prefer Derby to be putting a team up against League 2 / Conference standard rather than U21 games.

It doesn't matter what level it is at, it will still affect supporters of them clubs. 

It's in incredibly poor taste and makes a mockery of the integrity of the game. Whilst encouraging Manchester United and Chelsea to stockpile more talented youngsters to play against League Two sides/Conference sides? Not a chance. 

It's a ridiculous idea that will upset the natural order - Have a reserve league, scrap the U21 idea if that is what they want to do. It makes no sense to introduce B teams, no sense whatsoever. 

I'm hugely against the idea as you can tell, it's nothing more than a money making spin. The NextGEN idea, in my opinion, was the best thing for the game.

There is no chance I will get on board with this - create a reserve league between the clubs that want it, don't disrupt the current system. 

If it is to encourage the growth of player development, maybe look at bringing in quotas for maximum numbers of players signed as professionals, so the likes of the big clubs can't just hoover up every young player with a bit of talent.  If these players were playing for the likes of League 1 and 2 teams already then there wouldn't be a problem.

However, once again, even though the Premiership is the source of the problem, let's uproot everything else to accommodate it.  It's the equivalent of a big fat spoilt child who happens to have the richest parents and therefore gets everything it wants.

If they're better than Alfreton Town then they deserve the place.

It about the bigger picture, England winning the World Cup. If it works, and we lift the WC don't celebrate or that would be wrong.

Or just let conference teams field complete loan sides paid for by the clubs at no cost to them.

The problem as I see it is that England as a national team has regressed compared to many, many other smaller countries. The development of our young players has been abysmal, the personal skill levels compared to the Spanish, Germans, Dutch, French etc. are very poor. The number of fully qualified coaches in this country is a fraction of several other European countries. We now have St. Georges which is great, but doing nothing should not be an option. In this country we need to take our heads out of the sand about the way forward and do something that is going to make our players and national team more competitive.

I think if the teams were integrated into the leagues it would be quite good. It would ve good for the lower league teams that only have a small chance of playing top prem teams with cups a chance to play them regularly. Imagine Northampton vs Chelsea B or Manchester United B vs Accrington Stanley or Forest vs Man City B

I think that they certainly shouldn't just be shoe-horned into the league somewhere.

At the very least they should have to progress through some sort of elimination competition to earn their place.

That said - I still don't really get why this would be any different than simply having a separate league for the B teams.

I think if the teams were integrated into the leagues it would be quite good. It would ve good for the lower league teams that only have a small chance of playing top prem teams with cups a chance to play them regularly. Imagine Northampton vs Chelsea B or Manchester United B vs Accrington Stanley or Forest vs Man City B

Imagine if Forest won...

"We might have lost to you, but WE BEAT THE PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS!!!!! lolololol #thirdstar #unfinishedbusiness"

If there was a clause were only English players could play for the B team and maybe an age limit.It could be the way forward with the England team.

Maybe the lower league teams would get better,maybe the one or two that get spotted at that level will turn into 20-30.That's 20-30 less foreign players in the top league. Just sayin'

If you play against better players you get better.......Ask Sir Jake

I think that they certainly shouldn't just be shoe-horned into the league somewhere.

At the very least they should have to progress through some sort of elimination competition to earn their place.

That said - I still don't really get why this would be any different than simply having a separate league for the B teams.

Most reserve teams/ U21's are made up of young players playing against other young players, or senior pros coming back from injury and going through the motions - usually at a training ground. If they were integrated into a Conference/League 2 set-up, they would be playing against senior players albeit with less skill (in most cases) but in competitive matches in proper stadiums. What we are currently doing clearly is not working.

Where to begin on this?

It's just a rubbish idea.

It would mean the league would have as much integrity as the FA.

imagine Sergio Aguero playing for Man City B coming back from injury. Scores a couple of goals against a team but is fit enough for the first team the week after when Man city B are to play the relegation rivals of their last opponents.

Soon enough there'll be a pack of B teams near the top of the championship unable to be promoted spoiling it for everyone.

When the FA say they want to do something for the good of the England team, do not believe them. The last time they said this the premier league was created.

Give me a choice between a league with integrity and a more successful England team, I'll take the league thanks.

Only one team every 4 years wins the World Cup. The league runs 9 months a year, every year. Don't chuck the baby out with the bath water.

Archived