FA to look at introduction of B teams

Day

Where to begin on this?

It's just a rubbish idea.

It would mean the league would have as much integrity as the FA.

imagine Sergio Aguero playing for Man City B coming back from injury. Scores a couple of goals against a team but is fit enough for the first team the week after when Man city B are to play the relegation rivals of their last opponents.

Soon enough there'll be a pack of B teams near the top of the championship unable to be promoted spoiling it for everyone.

When the FA say they want to do something for the good of the England team, do not believe them. The last time they said this the premier league was created.

Give me a choice between a league with integrity and a more successful England team, I'll take the league thanks.

Only one team every 4 years wins the World Cup. The league runs 9 months a year, every year. Don't chuck the baby out with the bath water.

Suggest you read the proposal!! They would not be in the Championship. It isn't just about the World Cup, it is about the pitiful way our national team looks against other countries, the way that we failed again in the Euros, the way that our U21 team was an embarrassment to the country at the last tournament in Israel. It is about improving young players in this country and getting more British coaches to the required level. 

Wasn't it just a shame that the Premier League was created to make it the most watched league in the World. How great it would be if we could get our heads from up our backsides and do something to make sure that our young players and coaches develop to take a bigger part in the success of the Premier League.

Unless we go tumbling down to League 2/ Conference the only effect it will have on Derby is if we put a team into the new set-up (should it ever happen).

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where to begin on this?

It's just a rubbish idea.

It would mean the league would have as much integrity as the FA.

imagine Sergio Aguero playing for Man City B coming back from injury. Scores a couple of goals against a team but is fit enough for the first team the week after when Man city B are to play the relegation rivals of their last opponents.

Soon enough there'll be a pack of B teams near the top of the championship unable to be promoted spoiling it for everyone.

When the FA say they want to do something for the good of the England team, do not believe them. The last time they said this the premier league was created.

Give me a choice between a league with integrity and a more successful England team, I'll take the league thanks.

Only one team every 4 years wins the World Cup. The league runs 9 months a year, every year. Don't chuck the baby out with the bath water.

Just to give you an update in case you have not seen the news in the last year or two. The last time that the FA said they wanted to do something for the good of the England team, St. Georges Park was created.

The problem with the England team is that we field 11 players that look like strangers! This will not resolve that situation & I cannot see a benefit to it. I don't fully understand how it works in Spain, but I suspect they might have a similar culture shock if they were told by the Spanish FA that B teams were to be scrapped?

England are not short of quality players, we just seem to live in a bubble where we think we should have two world class players for every position. Having top class foreigners HAS improved our players. Also, lots of international teams field players from the Championship and it isn't detrimental to them. We just need 11 decent players that work together and have pride in the shirt.

There will be B teams restricting the progress of proper teams. I'd be fuming if I didn't get promoted because Chelsea B finished in front.

Also with regards to the players, I'd assume that the B team must have a registered squad, where players can only be transferred from B team to main team in the transfer window.

All these saying b teams are a bad idea.... Don't they have that in Spain already? And for those saying they couldn't give a stuff about the national side. Imagine you won't be commenting on this years World Cup or any other national team threads that May spring up on here in due course.

I support England, just like Derby, (obviously England from the box!) I want England to win everything!

i want England to win, but I couldn't give a toss compared to Derby County first, and the remaining shreds of integrity of the league we play in second.

If you could replicate the quality of Dutch coaches, the philosophy of Spanish football and implement the infrastructure of German football you'd still only be half way their. You can see in a bit more detail what they do and promisingly how it's effecting our academy below.

It was our very on Steve McClaren that reveled that Dutch youngster are given homework, which is to analyse the performance and tactics of the first team. 5 years analysing football, that's staggering, and the theory is that they become more tactically aware in the field. I'd assume that this is something that Steve would have introduced in our academy.

Spanish football essentially sees an emphasis on possession and comfort on the ball. They also have the youth teams deploying the system that the first team uses, theoretically making the transition into the first team smoother. McClaren's said this is what our academy now does. Another things prominent in Spanish football is smaller sides pitches, which aids the players comfort on the ball. Something less prominent in English football, only a recent introduction into our academies, I actually think we were the first to implement it. I believe Mr Hughes played a lot of it as a kid.

The youth system in Germany essentially forces all academies to be above a certain standard. It's like a machine, the numbers game, have more kids in your academies and more are bound to make it. They must all employ a minimum number of coaches, have a certain standard of infratstructure etc. Essentially, it's a bit like the ABCD category system now used in English football, except, rather than having the category's, all German a academies are forced to be a category A, or face repercussions. I believe our academy's improving it's infrastructure to become category A isn't it?

However even if you could implement all of this in the English game you'd still only be about half way there. I believe English football produces an alright standard if player as it is, but the kids just aren't being given the chance. Look at Thorne for example, the guy's class but he's barely been given a sniff of a chance. I honestly don't think southampton are anything special, they just have the balls to throw their kids in.

i want England to win, but I couldn't give a toss compared to Derby County first, and the remaining shreds of integrity of the league we play in second.

Confused about why the league we play in lacks integrity? Please enlighten?

Confused about why the league we play in lacks integrity? Please enlighten?

The imbalance of finance that leads to Chelsea buying up dozens of kids, loaning them out, cherry picking the best and treating the others as an income stream to offset against FFP loss limits.

Pat Bamford for instance, should have been learning his trade at florist or some other lower league club and earning them a proper fee if a Chelsea thought he was good enough to actually play for them, not getting mopped up for peanuts as a teenager.

Good article on this topic by Martin Samuel the other day about Leicester when Gordon Banks was sold to accommodate a young Peter Shilton in the first team. No coincidence that we had genuine competition in those days too, and a more successful national team. 

Re-inforcing this position by letting Chelsea just play a B team at the expense of a smaller club so they don't even have to loan these kids out would be a disgraceful abdication of the responsibility of custodianship the FA and League have towards ALL the clubs and all the fans.

Without balance, genuine competition and hope of success for clubs without a billion asian fans or a billionaire oligarch at the helm, the league lacks integrity.

Disgraceful idea. I'll be done with football if this comes in.

I am sure that you will be missed. How will this affect what you watch?

Go figure?

The imbalance of finance that leads to Chelsea buying up dozens of kids, loaning them out, cherry picking the best and treating the others as an income stream to offset against FFP loss limits.

Pat Bamford for instance, should have been learning his trade at florist or some other lower league club and earning them a proper fee if a Chelsea thought he was good enough to actually play for them, not getting mopped up for peanuts as a teenager.

Good article on this topic by Martin Samuel the other day about Leicester when Gordon Banks was sold to accommodate a young Peter Shilton in the first team. No coincidence that we had genuine competition in those days too, and a more successful national team. 

Re-inforcing this position by letting Chelsea just play a B team at the expense of a smaller club so they don't even have to loan these kids out would be a disgraceful abdication of the responsibility of custodianship the FA and League have towards ALL the clubs and all the fans.

Without balance, genuine competition and hope of success for clubs without a billion asian fans or a billionaire oligarch at the helm, the league lacks integrity.

If you are using Chelsea as an example, then the fact is that the majority of younger players that you say they have 'mopped up' are not from the British Isles (or even England). One of the few that are (to use another of your examples), Patrick Bamford was bought fairly for around £1.5M which probably represents the correct value.

I am not so sure that you are correct about the national team being more successful in Shilton's day, with the exception of one tournament in this country we have very much been without success, whereas much smaller countries like Netherlands, Denmark, Greece, Portugal have overtaken us in filling the trophy cabinet, and that Mr Needle is what we have to put right. Same old, same old will not do it. The idea behind this discussion (and it is only a discussion at this point) is to increase the talent pool of young English players and that cannot be a bad thing.

The young players will benefit from playing in competitive environments against adult players and not on training grounds in meaningless competitions. They will also be kept within a clubs own coaching regime instead of being farmed out. The the lower league teams will benefit from playing against higher standard of players. Don't you worry about League two and Conference clubs, many of them will hold their own against young 'B' teams.

If it does go ahead in the future it will be nothing to do with lack of integrity, and everything to do with improving the standard of football in this country.

Archived