Play-off SF Leg 1: Brighton & Hove Albion v Derby County

CumbrianRam

Granty

Wisdom    Keogh      Bucko     Fozzy

Thorne

Hendrick   Bryson

Russell    Martin    Wardy

I've always thought that Ward delivers when we need him however if their RB Bruno's fit I'd play Dawkins instead. Russell's pace will be valuable, same with his, Bryson's and Hendrick's shooting from outside the box; I feel like we'll have it on the edge of the box a fair bit.

Thorne to be MOM and dictate.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would not mind a 2-0 to derby in the 1st leg and in the 2nd leg at pp 3-0 to derby giving us a decent lead.

5-0 aggregate score will simply not happen. Both games will be close goals wise, I'd say on aggregate a 3-2 Derby win, 1-1 at their place and 2-1 at ours.

I've read in a number of places, from Brighton fans mostly: 'we play the same type of football' 

I just wanted to clarify, we absolutely do not. The only similarities between our style and theirs is the short passing game. It literally starts and stops there.

They're a side that like to park the bus, they've got an outlet upfront in Ulloa, who I have no doubts will cause us problems, and they've got two sitting midfielders with, usuaully, three attacking midfielders - from what I can gather.

Brighton have conceded 40 goals this season, 12 less than us - I'm guessing since Steve came in, our goals conceded records are quite similar, but I haven't checked.

We've scored 84 (the league's highest) and they've scored 55 - 6 more than relegated Barnsley.

We're going to come up against a side that are literally going to park the bus and hit us on the counter. Whilst we're, unquestionably, going to go straight out attack. Which I believe is the correct thing to do. 

If they're going to let us attack, or have the space then don't be scared to bite their hand off - they might hurt us on the break, but, we could equally have the tie sewn up in the first leg. It's going to be an interesting one. Plus, against us they've had less of the ball - which put Brighton out of their comfort zone. 

Brighton & Hove Albion 1 - 0 Derby County.

Ulloa 56. 

Saying that, I think we could lose 1-0 Thursday, Ulloa header. I think that result would still favour us with the second leg at home - they'd have to come and defend a 1-0 lead at the iPro, not a chance. 

Agree our styles arent similar. Easy saying their style will suit us, well our style will suit them as well. A lot of teams go to the Amex and park the bus. 

Away from home they'll be very compact and tough to break down. At home they'll look to control possession and force the game.

Think our 2 games against them are pretty irrelevant. Game at their place was 2nd of the season, under Clough, and only their managers second game who had took over late in the summer. Game at our place was very tight from what I remember, could have easily been 0-0. 

Think this could go either way, they do lack tempo at times when I've seen them and they're not the most consistent. If we win Thursday I cant see them out scoring us at our place. Two tight games I reckon. Avoid defeat Thursday and I think we'll go through. 

Literally park the bus????

Have they got a designated driver or do you have to complete the required driving test as part of the medical when signing for them?

Hey, it's still not as the bad as the Forest medical..  :ph34r:

But yeah, I wouldn't put it past them. Without question the most boring side in the division.  <_<

We do play in a similar style though. It's still the same short ball game, it's just they're more focused on the defensive side rather than attacking. I think their style will very much suit us

I disagree about they having a similar style, but I agree their style will suit us. 

Their short ball game is focused more on not losing the ball, keeping the ball - not losing possession, nullifying the oppositions chances and basically boring the team half-to-death. 

Swansea used to do the same, yet they were called a 'good footballing side' 

I don't buy passing it around your defensive back 6 good football, it is what it is. I do fancy our gun-ho approach to unsettle them. 

They were in the playoffs last year, as the form team, but lost out to Palace because of Zaha. And they'll be buzzing after the injury time winner at the trees to get them in - they'll secretly be thinking it's their year and I'd expect them to start very strongly.

We need to be so strong and solid for the first half hour and weather the storm. The selection dilemma is a rampaging Hendrick versus Hughes who'll keep it better, and the regular question of which wide forwards to perm. I'd go for:

Grant

Wisdom

Forsyth

Bucko

Keogh

Thorne

Hughes

Bryson

Martin

Ward

Russell

Leggy