Vs Middlesbrough (H) Match Thread

DCFC1388

14 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

and then it will just be same again next season...

we need to think more long term.

Will it? The hope is PW can improve the team between now and the window closing. Do the same in January and again next summer. It's a slow build. I would like to think we'll be at Boro's current level in 3 years.

IMO, long term is the plan David Clowes has for the club. Sustainable and self sufficient is his description. To me that spells "long term". Slow and steady improvement year on year to, eventually, get us promoted. Will we be at the levels the likes of Boro, Burnley, Watford and Sunderland currently are next season or the one after? I very much doubt it. Will we have made steps in that direction? I damned well hope so.

8 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Typical of both Madley brothers. I don't recall either of them having a good game when reffing us. 

Think back to last season. PW passed comment and the "socials" were full of "how can Madley ref us v Barnsley when he spent years at their Academy"? He got replaced. It's more than feasible that he's not forgotten that.

Only way we realistically get to the level of the likes of Boro, without miraculously doing a Luton, is by hitting big on selling players. In the last few years they sold Akpom, Rogers, Spence and Tavernier to raise £40m or so.

4 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Will it? The hope is PW can improve the team between now and the window closing. Do the same in January and again next summer. It's a slow build. I would like to think we'll be at Boro's current level in 3 years.

IMO, long term is the plan David Clowes has for the club. Sustainable and self sufficient is his description. To me that spells "long term". Slow and steady improvement year on year to, eventually, get us promoted. Will we be at the levels the likes of Boro, Burnley, Watford and Sunderland currently are next season or the one after? I very much doubt it. Will we have made steps in that direction? I damned well hope so.

Not point replying with a sensible answer and facts  , this poster and a few others have no intention of listening or changing their narrative. Easier to stick on ignore and enjoy the win and forum. 

13 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

because it shows that we were very fortunate to win the game and that it really had very little to do with warnes 'tactics' (like the previous poster said) and more to do with luck. Therefore its not a sustainable approach short,medium, or long term.

We shut up shop after losing Cash and Kane. We showed in the 2nd half at Blackburn what we're capable of and we'll see more of that this season, hopefully minus the mistakes that saw them get 3 2nd half goals. When we play Burnley, S'land etc we'll shut up shop. Changing shape following the 2 forced changes shows we have at least a plan B and it worked. The team, once in that position, showed they understand how to play that game. We'll see different tactics, different formations through the season depending on the opposition's style and quality.

How often have we bossed games over the past decennia only to lose or scrape a draw against a well marshalled defence from an inferior team (and against certain opponents, we are exactly that)? Those sides didn't play that style in every game. I don't think we will either. Time will tell.

4 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

We shut up shop after losing Cash and Kane. We showed in the 2nd half at Blackburn what we're capable of and we'll see more of that this season, hopefully minus the mistakes that saw them get 3 2nd half goals. When we play Burnley, S'land etc we'll shut up shop. Changing shape following the 2 forced changes shows we have at least a plan B and it worked. The team, once in that position, showed they understand how to play that game. We'll see different tactics, different formations through the season depending on the opposition's style and quality.

How often have we bossed games over the past decennia only to lose or scrape a draw against a well marshalled defence from an inferior team (and against certain opponents, we are exactly that)? Those sides didn't play that style in every game. I don't think we will either. Time will tell.

Would hope we don't shut up shop v Sunderland, they're a bottom half team.

14 hours ago, ipad1977 said:

As said previously I don't try to involve myself in politics, chairmen and all that gubbins that comes hand in hand with football. Obviously I encounter plenty of fans of other sides so am aware of issues that affect them, but focus on the football being played, it's after all why I love the game. As far as I'm aware Gibson rightly or wrongly felt cheated so took his grievance further. He's someone who is anal about following financial rules so feels aggrieved if he misses out to those that bend them?

I don't know if he wanted to bury your club per se, but was most likely seeking some kind of recompense for possiby missing out on the playoffs. Do I think it was taken too far? Quite possibly, though in a strange twist of fate you may actually be better off moving forward with Mel gone as a result.

I wasn't at the match today as had to work down in Devonport (such is life) so wasn't aware of any chants that had been made tbh. I don't think I'd celebrate any club going under, even Newcastle or Sunderland, despite our feelings towards them. There will always be elements of a club's support that embrace gallows humour, the chants about Jimmy Saville towards Leeds fans being a case in point, but they're seldom indicative of a club's entire fan base.

Do I think the recent hoo-hah was used as an extra-motivation towards your side in the game's build up? Again, it's possible, coaches will often try and seek an angle for such things, but that's not why I feared facing your lot today. Its more the case that we were always more likely to lose such a game, it's what we do. While nothing is set in stone, I was as confident of that happening and the result being in your favour no matter how much we dominated the game, as confident as I am of us turning the likes of Burnley and Luton over, or as confident as I am of your getting a result at the Riverside against us too for that matter.

It's just the way things go.

He's so anal about being fair he's shifted losses from the club onto his other businesses to skate around the rules.... The man's a hypocrite and a parasite. 

Mel Morris was already out of the club as we were in administration. Gibson acted as a leech sucking the blood out of a dying body. He had absolutely nothing to do with getting rid of Mel so you can take that out of your argument. 

While some chants are not representative of the club's fan base the mass defending by your lot of such a bloke says everything about Middlesbrough's fans in my eyes. Suffice to say if you lot ever fall foul of the FFP or face extinction again I won't be shedding a single tear about it. 

10 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

point being we'll never get to wembley playing this way under warne. Unless it's the papa johns pizza trophy

You're not wrong but PW has said, the way we played after Wilson followed Cash into an early bath isn't how we're going to set up most games. I fully expect to go defensive against the top 6 but play off the front foot against the bottom half.

As I've written before, the transfer embargo meant we had a very limited pool of players form which we could choose over the past 2 seasons. We still went up. PW is hoping to get 3 or 4 more in, in his words, to strengthen the team, not the squad. Let's see where we are about a dozen games in when any more newbies have settled in.

The future? I explained my opinion on that in a previous reply to you.

9 hours ago, DCFC Kicks said:

was it not lucky?

I watched Brentford Vs Palace yesterday, Palace having a good goal disallowed...the referee admitted he blew to early, Brentford were lucky, Boro had a goal disallowed and hit the post...that was lucky for us, There's times in most games where a bit of luck will change a game, A corner given when a goal kick,  A throw in the same outcome, A player misses a one on one, The opposition miss a penalty...luck can play a major role in football.

Tactics have nothing to do with "luck" Man City won the Charity Shield because Evans missed his penalty, Pep said after the game We set our team up on the halfway line for all the pens and all the players were sending a message through thought that he would miss...now that's tactics  

30 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

What tactical adjustment? You mean when Cashin and Wilson had to go off? Why didn't he start like that? The sort of tactical adjustment that Lampard had to do when he bought Marriot on against L**ds because of injury? He got lucky and then made the correct call? Or he got lucky? They should have put a few past us but didn't put the target man on up front until the last few minutes, Carrick got that wrong.

So absolutely no praise whatsoever for the manager whatever happens in any game all season exactly like last season.What do you want to happen to derby and the manager to end your season long relentless digs which of course you are entitled to.

9 hours ago, Jourdan said:

I am not saying Warne is a tactical genius or ran rings around Carrick. Far from it.

PW actually did...Carrick huffed and puffed and couldn't blow the house down, Even sending on £9m worth of talent to dismantle PWs defensive shield, Many many years ago I was told by an old fella...football is like a game of chess...tactics he said, I did laugh, He was way ahead of his time and it wasn't Martin Peters 👍 

23 minutes ago, Srg said:

Would hope we don't shut up shop v Sunderland, they're a bottom half team.

Early doors, I know, but 2 games in 6 points, 6 goals scored and zero conceded. That included putting 4 past Wednesday who put 4 past Plymouth last week.

Boro had several players in the match day squad, each of whom cost more than twice the cost in fees of our entire squad.

The Academy, devoid of players 2 years ago has improved greatly and the hope is the conveyor belt starts to produce more 1st XI players. Daj is one we hope for. Robinson another. There are more like Cruz Allen who are on the right road. This summer we've brought in Goudmijn and Zetterstrom, both of whom are capable of progressing and either helping us get where we want to be or deliver a good profit when/if we sell.

There are those on here who are ultra critical and they aren't altogether wrong. The problem they seem to have is they want us to be now in the position David Clowes wants us to be in 3 or 4 years. His sustainable/self sufficient mantra means fighting for promotion won't come overnight. Those who don't see the long term plan? That's down to them, IMO. Most of us do see what Mr Clowes is trying to accomplish and understand that the likes of Boro are where we are aiming to be 3 years down the road.

44 minutes ago, Srg said:

Only way we realistically get to the level of the likes of Boro, without miraculously doing a Luton, is by hitting big on selling players. In the last few years they sold Akpom, Rogers, Spence and Tavernier to raise £40m or so.

Admin saw the Academy gutted. 22/23 saw appalling results at U18 and U21 levels. 23/24 saw both improve, the 18s rather more so than the 21s. Hopefully we'll see saleable assets from the Academy in a couple of years. That won't happen overnight. Zetterstrom and Goudmijn are players whose value might go up. Boro have been building for several years. It will take us that amount of time to get to that position.

26 minutes ago, Mick Brolly said:

So absolutely no praise whatsoever for the manager whatever happens in any game all season exactly like last season.What do you want to happen to derby and the manager to end your season long relentless digs which of course you are entitled to.

I feel so entitled. 😄

4 minutes ago, KBB said:

Some Derby fans after Blackburn "we need to pick up points before we are adrift after 5 games"

Some Derby fans after picking up 3 points to a probable top 6 team "not like that"

Exactly this, it wasn't pretty Saturday but it was effective, albeit through a gift of a goal. If we go toe to toe with sides like Boro we will get torn apart. Like it or not they are light years ahead of us at the minute. We need points on the board and not to leak goals. The game plan was perfect Saturday as it allowed their full backs to push higher up the pitch into the wingers space and pretty much nullified their threat from the wide players. If we want to stay up this season this is what we will need to do against the better teams.