Vs Middlesbrough (H) Match Thread

DCFC1388

20 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

havng a compact shape and planning to counter attack is ok, but lets not pretend that really had much to do with the goal. It was just a poor back pass from their player. It wasn't like we were counter attacking them as it was only jackson attempting to press by himself.

How exactly were we planning creating a goal? there was nothing outside of the usual corner kicks. Or was warne's plan to play for a 0-0 ?

you say bradley 'made his own luck' blocking it onto the post. But if it had gone just an inch or so to the side it would have gone in, meaning realistically we had very little control over the situation.

yep, it did somehow work and history will show 1-0 win, but it might well cost us this weekend after needing such an effort.

You sound like you're gutted we won.

Why is that?

You have to smile.

Some people spent the whole week complaining about Warne’s lack of tactical nous and overall management of the team.

Warne gets his tactics right, we improve defensively, and we beat a team who finished 8th last season and will be competing for a top 6 place at worst and maybe even top 2.

And lo and behold, it was ‘lucky’ and ‘nothing to do with Warne’, and they are still not happy.

You have to smile.

2 hours ago, ipad1977 said:

As said previously I don't try to involve myself in politics, chairmen and all that gubbins that comes hand in hand with football. Obviously I encounter plenty of fans of other sides so am aware of issues that affect them, but focus on the football being played, it's after all why I love the game. As far as I'm aware Gibson rightly or wrongly felt cheated so took his grievance further. He's someone who is anal about following financial rules so feels aggrieved if he misses out to those that bend them?

I don't know if he wanted to bury your club per se, but was most likely seeking some kind of recompense for possiby missing out on the playoffs. Do I think it was taken too far? Quite possibly, though in a strange twist of fate you may actually be better off moving forward with Mel gone as a result.

I wasn't at the match today as had to work down in Devonport (such is life) so wasn't aware of any chants that had been made tbh. I don't think I'd celebrate any club going under, even Newcastle or Sunderland, despite our feelings towards them. There will always be elements of a club's support that embrace gallows humour, the chants about Jimmy Saville towards Leeds fans being a case in point, but they're seldom indicative of a club's entire fan base.

Do I think the recent hoo-hah was used as an extra-motivation towards your side in the game's build up? Again, it's possible, coaches will often try and seek an angle for such things, but that's not why I feared facing your lot today. Its more the case that we were always more likely to lose such a game, it's what we do. While nothing is set in stone, I was as confident of that happening and the result being in your favour no matter how much we dominated the game, as confident as I am of us turning the likes of Burnley and Luton over, or as confident as I am of your getting a result at the Riverside against us too for that matter.

It's just the way things go.

He is so anal about following the rules that he sold a load of his club's debts to one or more of his other businesses, and then had the temerity to whinge about Mel selling Pride Park Stadium to one his companies. At least the stadium was an asset, unlike his club's debts. Oh, and suing Derby County for allegedly costing Middlesbrough promotion? It is actually against EFL rules for an EFL club to sue another EFL club! But he was advised to do it by the EFL because he had threatened to sue them first, and they knew that it would open  the floodgates. Following the rules? Leve it out. And the biggest irony is that for the season in question, Derby County didn't cost Middlesbrough promotion , they cost themselves by losing an absolute stack of matches on the run in.

56 minutes ago, We'll be back in 81 said:

Maybe not everyone  on here are Derby fans.

What a load of tosh. We can agree and disagree on a variety of topics, but we are all derby fans at the end of the day, and want the team to win. Stupid and needless remark that only stokes up the current state of divisiveness that reigns on the forum. 

22 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

He is so anal about following the rules that he sold a load of his club's debts to one or more of his other businesses, and then had the temerity to whinge about Mel selling Pride Park Stadium to one his companies. At least the stadium was an asset, unlike his club's debts. Oh, and suing Derby County for allegedly costing Middlesbrough promotion? It is actually against EFL rules for an EFL club to sue another EFL club! But he was advised to do it by the EFL because he had threatened to sue them first, and they knew that it would open  the floodgates. Following the rules? Leve it out. And the biggest irony is that for the season in question, Derby County didn't cost Middlesbrough promotion , they cost themselves by losing an absolute stack of matches on the run in.

That’s the thing. I totally get righteous indignation. I can do that in spades and get on the highest of snotty horses, but then when you do the same yourself, what on earth does that make you ? A better accountant and rule bender I suppose. His actions were redolent of pure mafia protection money. The means change but the game is the same.

18 minutes ago, DanS1992 said:

What a load of tosh. We can agree and disagree on a variety of topics, but we are all derby fans at the end of the day, and want the team to win. Stupid and needless remark that only stokes up the current state of divisiveness that reigns on the forum. 

I'd go so far as to say there are a few who say all the things I'd expect a WUM to say.

If they aren't on a wind up, then their way of supporting is very different to most of the rest of us.

Takes all sorts, I guess.

1 hour ago, MaltRam said:

You sound like you're gutted we won.

Why is that?

of course not. just that we're not going to get any further than being a low end championship club playing this way. wheres the long term vision?

1 hour ago, We'll be back in 81 said:

Maybe not everyone  on here are Derby fans.

Probably there are a few, but would be a very sad life to keep coming onto such a forum - and to what end.

More likely it is the glass half full/empty thing.  Or, in some cases, pouring the half away and saying I have no drink.

1 minute ago, Chris_Martin said:

of course not. just that we're not going to get any further than being a low end championship club playing this way. wheres the long term vision?

It was one game.  If we had taken Boro on they'd have smashed us.  I saw Chelsea play the same strategy - and beat! - classic Barcelona.

The tactics will change - as Warne has said. But against some teams, we may this season not have much choice.

5 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

I can’t help but bite. The long term vision is in the academy, the long term vision is in the data stuff that’s being implemented in the background since Mo Bobat and co joined in November, the long term vision is in scouting Europe in order to find better value for money.

Warne’s presence at Derby is only ever going to be temporary, he WILL leave at some point, maybe then you’ll get your possession based football vision delivered in spades….but for now he’s been trusted to complete step 1) get out of league one, and is in the process of attempting step 2) stay up in the championship. I know some see it as an excuse but the club did nearly die only 2 short years ago, we’re just about out of intensive care now but still recovering some what so have to focus on some short term goals whilst putting foundations in place for longer term success and sustainability. Due to the decisions Clowes has taken, it will not happen overnight, and it might not be exactly to your preference in terms of style and tactics and media comments and the like….but that is the current reality, no amount of griping about it online will change that, even though it might bring you a few moments of satisfaction. 

1 minute ago, Chris_Martin said:

I've not had a presentation on it, but Mr Clowes wanted us established as a Championship club in 5 years. I presume the funding and plan are working toward that end, and I took that to mean starting 2027/8 with a realistic optimism of a top 6 challenge. This being year 3, it's all about staying up.

This will take pragmatism. You can grumble about styles all you want, but what we're going to get is hard work, organisation and togetherness and steadily evolving style as the quality of the squad improves and enables it. Getting the best from what we've got.

I'm completely behind that. It's an extension of everything we've been through as a club since admin. Were you there on Saturday? It was bloody marvellous, wasn't it?

You want to do what instead?

30 minutes ago, DanS1992 said:

Not saying I disagree, but I'm not sure calling people stupid engenders good faith either.

5 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

Stage one of the long term plan was to get out of League 1. Warne has achieved that.

Stage two is to stabilise ourselves in the Championship. With results like yesterday’s, Warne has a good chance of achieving that too.

At the end of the day, I am not sure what you are expecting. We saw v Blackburn what happens if you are too open, too disorganised and make mistakes defensively. Surely you are happy that we showed we can learn, adapt and get it right even if we had to ride our luck at times?

We need to set a platform for the season, so of course we are going to be studying teams and seeing how we can stop them and adapting to that. Or would you rather us go 10 games without a win by staying true to one particular style or tactic and not adapting?

Boro are an established Championship side with one of the biggest budgets in the division. They are years ahead of us in their journey. They have put together a strong, well balanced side that plays good football but it has also cost millions to assemble.

That could be us, but at the moment, we need to be patient as you can’t build that in one summer or with free transfers and £750k signings.

2 hours ago, McArthur Park said:

If those things had happened then the tactics may have changed, but they didn't happen, so the tactics employed for what actually happened won the game, so they were spot on. Simples.

Yep, because every good manager just waits for something bad to happen before changing things.

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

You have to smile.

Some people spent the whole week complaining about Warne’s lack of tactical nous and overall management of the team.

Warne gets his tactics right, we improve defensively, and we beat a team who finished 8th last season and will be competing for a top 6 place at worst and maybe even top 2.

And lo and behold, it was ‘lucky’ and ‘nothing to do with Warne’, and they are still not happy.

You have to smile.

was it not lucky?