Championship 24/25 rival watch

Preston have sacked their manager after one game. https://www.pnefc.net/news/2024/august/12/ryan-lowe-leaves-pne-by-mutual-consent/

A little context, they lost the last 5 games of the season, 11 goals against, 0 scored. Only picked up 1 win in the last 8 games, 4 points from possible 24. Went from play offs to 10th, 10 points off 6th and a 26 goal swing.

7 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Preston have sacked their manager after one game. https://www.pnefc.net/news/2024/august/12/ryan-lowe-leaves-pne-by-mutual-consent/

A little context, they lost the last 5 games of the season, 11 goals against, 0 scored. Only picked up 1 win in the last 8 games, 4 points from possible 24. Went from play offs to 10th, 10 points off 6th and a 26 goal swing.

Strange one this, they've had all summer to recruit a new manager.

1 minute ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

He was hated by their fanbase, so not at all surprising despite the board seemingly ignoring the shouts for a long time. In terms of achieving to their budget, they can't really have many complaints but he didn't endear himself to the fans and has previously made sarcastic comments about them. I'll be interested where they go from here. I know their fans will be wanting a manager to come in and play expansive football, but obviously that isn't always possible or the best idea given the quality in the team. 

Worryingly, I only saw two clubs in the Championship openly discussing their manager getting sacked in more volume than just a rogue comment - us and Preston. I trust Clowes' to hold his nerve, but do feel that given we are likely to see at least half the division change managers this season and us unlikely to do very well that the writing could very well be on the wall. 

5 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Think Preston could find it hard this season. After losing Millar and Browne in the summer who were there 2 best players last season and replacing them with players of a lesser standard they’re already on the back foot. Now letting a manager have all pre season, sign 3 players and then sack him after one game to go and find a replacement is not going to be an easy. 

6 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Preston sack manager after one game . What is clear already is that the Championship this season is going  truly Brutal ! There are no Burton Alb’s that are expecting to go down . Teams will be prepared to do almost anything to stay up . Even going into Debt . 

10 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

That's a complete waste of pre-season and three quarters of a transfer window then. Madness.

19 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

He was hated by their fanbase, so not at all surprising despite the board seemingly ignoring the shouts for a long time. In terms of achieving to their budget, they can't really have many complaints but he didn't endear himself to the fans and has previously made sarcastic comments about them. I'll be interested where they go from here. I know their fans will be wanting a manager to come in and play expansive football, but obviously that isn't always possible or the best idea given the quality in the team. 

Worryingly, I only saw two clubs in the Championship openly discussing their manager getting sacked in more volume than just a rogue comment - us and Preston. I trust Clowes' to hold his nerve, but do feel that given we are likely to see at least half the division change managers this season and us unlikely to do very well that the writing could very well be on the wall. 

I really don’t think David Clowes judgment will be swayed by a few keyboard warriors on a football forum.

3 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

I really don’t think David Clowes judgment will be swayed by a few keyboard warriors on a football forum.

That's what it is at the moment, but we have seen how quick things can unravel and Derby fans can be loud in their disgruntled state. If it gets to the point where you can't ignore it, i.e. Phil Brown, John Gregory-levels, he will have to do it in order to reduce the pressure. 

My opinion is that we are unlikely to do well this season, tied in with the fact we already have a minority calling for his removal, as well as the unavoidable fact that half the Championship will sack their managers this season. If I had to bet on Warne being here for the start of the 25/26 season or not, I would probably go not. Although I hope I am wrong. 

11 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

That's what it is at the moment, but we have seen how quick things can unravel and Derby fans can be loud in their disgruntled state. If it gets to the point where you can't ignore it, i.e. Phil Brown, John Gregory-levels, he will have to do it in order to reduce the pressure. 

My opinion is that we are unlikely to do well this season, tied in with the fact we already have a minority calling for his removal, as well as the unavoidable fact that half the Championship will sack their managers this season. If I had to bet on Warne being here for the start of the 25/26 season or not, I would probably go not. Although I hope I am wrong. 

But you’ve already bet on us to be relegated, negative positivism🤷🏻‍♂️