Investment

10 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

You mean apart from when I stated it explicitly below?

You talk about 'greater investment'. Please can you quantify, using verifiable data, how much 'greater' this investment should be, as measured proportionally against our overall budget? Oh wait, you can't since none of us have this data- that's my point. 

So we can't talk about things without 'nuanced knowledge'? Close down the forum everyone. 😄

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

So we can't talk about things without 'nuanced knowledge'? Close down the forum everyone. 😄

Combined with negative conjecture, then it's not a great mix.

Right now your stance appears to be: ''Clowes should spend more, even though I have no idea what has been spent, or if further spending would put the club at financial risk''. Not exactly erudite commentary is it? 

Perhaps we have yet to fully explore and give the bargain basket route to the Premiership a chance, the current approach may take  longer but cost less, in which case why would we require additional investment?

We do have some experience in trying to achieve the Premiership by throwing money at it and that, as my nightmares still remind me, didn’t end well.

I am encouraged that we appear to have changed our recruitment processes and this may provide some good and possibly valuable players, this model looks to have been the path to success that Brentford and others clubs have successfully adopted.

I do not want to risk the future of our club again, remember that if someone is ready to invest their money they will also want a say in the way the club is run.

I am happy to wait and see how the DC approach works out.

Slow and steady sometimes wins the race.

Edited by Elwood P Dowd

1 hour ago, YorkshireRam said:

Combined with negative conjecture, then it's not a great mix.

Right now your stance appears to be: ''Clowes should spend more, even though I have no idea what has been spent, or if further spending would put the club at financial risk''. Not exactly erudite commentary is it? 

I didn't realise this was the forum for erudite commentary, you being here that would explain that.

You have done nothing but say how fearful you are of spending too much money and yet you say I've not been erudite. 😄

Just been looking at Burnley and their new investment . They look like walking the Championship with a good squad after selling a few as well . However it seems their fans have got the jitters . They seem to think they have broken loads of rules over the last 2 seasons and could be next to get points deducted . 

1 hour ago, Mihangel said:

The £250m "off their debt" simply isn't true. They reduced their net debt by £33m in the time period specifies but as it stands and as Bloom remains invested to the tune of approximately £500m. Those levels of 'profit' are only sustainable so long as they buy low, sell high which won't always happen. Day to day they operate at a loss.

As someone once said in a milk advert, exactleee.🙂

23 hours ago, rammieib said:

I have no idea why anyone would invest in a football club if you are looking for a return.

92 professional clubs - I bet if I look at the last set of accounts of all 92, 70 will show a loss, 10-15 superbly run on break even and the others made a profit due to sale of players only…. And unlike a business that isn’t revenue guaranteed every year.

They certainly don’t invest to get a return in monetary terms. Some it’s love of a local club, some it’s personal prestige in the region and a large ego. Many others are there for the glitz and glamour or as in the case of the Arabian money it’s politics

You could say it’s a hobby when you have a huge surplus of money from other activities. “Investment” not sure that’s the right word unless it’s modest for marketing purposes … when does a sponsor become an investor I wonder ? 

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I didn't realise this was the forum for erudite commentary, you being here that would explain that.

You have done nothing but say how fearful you are of spending too much money and yet you say I've not been erudite. 😄

'Fearful' isn't really the right word, more aware of what I don't know.

I just think it's slightly unfair to imply Clowes hasn't spent enough money after everything he's done. There's an element of trust, sure, but I do believe he's going to do his utmost to ensure we can be competitive this season, within reason. Perhaps you're right and this is overly sentimental though.

I just don't feel like I know enough about what happens behind the scenes to be criticising; it just feels a bit like an iceberg where we only see the small percentage that sticks above the surface. 

5 hours ago, Gerry Daly said:

There are a few people repeating the 'fact' that we are losing money. How do you know this? And don't point me to the only accounts so far published which covered the first financial year following the take over or your own back of a fag packet calculations - or anyone else's. I want up to date facts please that support or show this repeated assertion   

It's impossible to say one way or another, the only factual way to know how much the club is losing is the accounts and that dates to 22/23 only (for the moment). The 23/24 accounts will be interesting. I suspect the losses will still be roughly £10m but would like to be surprised. 

7 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

'Fearful' isn't really the right word, more aware of what I don't know.

I just think it's slightly unfair to imply Clowes hasn't spent enough money after everything he's done. There's an element of trust, sure, but I do believe he's going to do his utmost to ensure we can be competitive this season, within reason. Perhaps you're right and this is overly sentimental though.

I just don't feel like I know enough about what happens behind the scenes to be criticising; it just feels a bit like an iceberg where we only see the small percentage that sticks above the surface. 

Where did I do that? Even Clowes says he's open to investment.

On 20/08/2024 at 10:27, Macintosh said:

John Textor put it out there he was interested in purchasing or investing in a club, disappointed that Palace were not interested in utilising players he had at other clubs he owned and that he had little influence at Palace. He has several interests: Sims Snowboards, Wyndcrest, JesterDigital, Virtual Bank/Lydian Trust Company, BabyUniverse, FuboTV, Digital Domain and Pulse Evolution. He invested £86million for 40% ownership in Crystal Palace Football Club, also interest in Lyon, Botafogo de Futebol e Regatas, Olympique Lyonnais and RWD Molenbeek. He is now attempting to buy Everton. He had previously tried to purchase Brentford, Newcastle and Watford.

That would be an investor I would chat to, its the only way we will ever be on equal terms with clubs like Brighton, Crystal Palace and Burnley, able to compete in the transfer market and make it to the Premier League again. You need to own clubs in other countries, like Forest does.

The problem Morris had was he had little income coming in from elsewhere, his eggs were placed solely in our basket, getting promoted was all he cared for and it possibly cost him way over £250m of his fortune. He needed to have kept half his shares still in CandyCrush as a back-up plan for black times. People like Textor, Tony Bloom, they continue adding to their fortune elsewhere. Clowes will add to his fortune with his property company and inheritance, he's as stable as it comes to having a good owner.

Palaces American owners are trying to buy Textor out now.

3 hours ago, Mihangel said:

The £250m "off their debt" simply isn't true. They reduced their net debt by £33m in the time period specifies but as it stands and as Bloom remains invested to the tune of approximately £500m. Those levels of 'profit' are only sustainable so long as they buy low, sell high which won't always happen. Day to day they operate at a loss.

And the other fella:

So you’re saying they’ve gambled and at present they’ve got some of their stake money back 🥺

Blimey. Ok - why is everyone so wound up by this. BHA are doing well (fact - most successful they've ever been) and it's likely the owners will get a return on their investment. You have absolutely no more idea than I whether that's true or not because your crystal ball is as good as mine.

What we do know is that you're questioning the wisdom of highly successful multimillionaires. I can't imagine you're not one and neither am I so what the eff do we know. It's a bit like all these people saying Elon Musk is an idiot - perhaps - but a very rich, very successful, game changing idiot. 

43 minutes ago, Raich Carter said:

And the other fella:

Blimey. Ok - why is everyone so wound up by this. BHA are doing well (fact - most successful they've ever been) and it's likely the owners will get a return on their investment. You have absolutely no more idea than I whether that's true or not because your crystal ball is as good as mine.

What we do know is that you're questioning the wisdom of highly successful multimillionaires. I can't imagine you're not one and neither am I so what the eff do we know. It's a bit like all these people saying Elon Musk is an idiot - perhaps - but a very rich, very successful, game changing idiot. 

I for one am certainly not wound up about it.

Brighton are doing well on the field, fact.

Brighton fc are £373.3 million in debt, fact.

Brighton fc are totally reliant on Tony Bloom, fact.

Where  have I questioned anyones wisdom.

3 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

Just been looking at Burnley and their new investment . They look like walking the Championship with a good squad after selling a few as well . However it seems their fans have got the jitters . They seem to think they have broken loads of rules over the last 2 seasons and could be next to get points deducted . 

Hopefully. We could do with a few clubs getting hefty points deductions, anything to help us in the dog fight.

11 hours ago, Foreveram said:

I for one am certainly not wound up about it.

Brighton are doing well on the field, fact.

Brighton fc are £373.3 million in debt, fact.

Brighton fc are totally reliant on Tony Bloom, fact.

Where  have I questioned anyones wisdom.

Ok, so are you saying that Tony Bloom is making a mistake investing so heavily or that in your opinion, it's a wise investment? Sort of a rhetorical question but that's what I was on about really. It was a general point and BHA seemed a reasonable example - which you then decided to try and tear down 🙂

The wisdom point was general really. Doesn't mean the millionaires are always right of course but typically, they've got rich for a reason was my point - i.e. perhaps Tony Bloom knows what he's doing or he's doing a Jack Hayward - that was all.