How do you greet people?

'Ayup' or 'Owdo'.

My Strine pal from work always greeted me with 'Gday', to which I invariably replied "Go an' stick your head up a dead bear's bum" because we both loved Barry McKenzie films.

On 26/07/2024 at 13:17, Alph said:

I'm an "alright" but the trick is I get in early and leave them to make the decision. 

If somebody does beat me to it (they would have to be a pro greeter. Possibly military trained) then I snap back with "I'm not bad thanks, how are you"

Some continue this duel. Some back down and walk away. Those that are looking to escalate things will find I'm prepared to mention the weather if that's what it takes. 

We must be separated at birth alph 😂

I once worked with a bricklaying gang from Cannock way. Their greeting sounded something like:

"Awroight poyp"

45 years later, I still don't know if "poyp" is an insult or not.

If it's a stranger normally ay up or if it's someone in passing say on a walk I might use 'ow do.   

If it's someone I know I might branch out a bit - hello,  how're yer goin' or hello shag but I'd only use that last one as a sort of joke.    

8 minutes ago, trappatoni said:

If it's a stranger normally ay up or if it's someone in passing say on a walk I might use 'ow do.   

If it's someone I know I might branch out a bit - hello,  how're yer goin' or hello shag but I'd only use that last one as a sort of joke.    

Camilla is that you?