Kenzo Goudmijn

Eoghan1884

8 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Interesting one this - I can’t help but think of Mike Te Weirik though…

Looks like a box to box midfielder, and we certainly do need to continue our rebuild in that area following the arrival of Osborn. Doesn’t seem to have pulled up any trees on loan at Excelsior though, no goals and 2 assists last season - we’d be needing a much better output from him than that.

I’m unconvinced, but glad we’re being a bit more imaginative with our recruitment and looking abroad - he may find the Championship a bit easier than the Eredivisie, it’s hard to tell what the relative levels are.

Kin’ell what would convince you? We’ve got players signing with championship pedigree. A striker who scored 14 goals for Blackpool the last time they were in this division (and went down). We’re potentially signing an unknown exciting young player from the continent. 

What are your realistic expectations about who we could be signing??

11 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

he may find the Championship a bit easier than the Eredivisie, it’s hard to tell what the relative levels are.

Opta do some stats on this. Attempting to rank teams and leagues globally. According to them, the Dutch league is very broad. With top couple of teams being top 6 Premier League level, and bottom couple of teams being top-half League 1 standard.

image.thumb.png.696fe77e1fbf424c5c8aa7ea3b1fb218.png

12 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Opta do some stats on this. Attempting to rank teams and leagues globally. According to them, the Dutch league is very broad. With top couple of teams being top 6 Premier League level, and bottom couple of teams being top-half League 1 standard.

That’s obviously wrong, everyone knows Derby are by far the greatest team the world has ever seen.🙄

3 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

Kin’ell what would convince you? We’ve got players signing with championship pedigree. A striker who scored 14 goals for Blackpool the last time they were in this division (and went down). We’re potentially signing an unknown exciting young player from the continent. 

What are your realistic expectations about who we could be signing??

Osborn definitely has championship pedigree yes. Yates has had one good season at this level, and appears to be rated by Swansea fans about as highly as we rate Nick Blackman. Maybe he can hit that Blackpool form again, but I’m concerned. Jackson does not have Championship pedigree, he’s 30 and has played most his career at lower levels. This guy is a total unknown (which may not be a bad thing).

I’m not saying all our signings will definitely fail, but I am disappointed with the start to our window personally. It’s taken a while to get going and we haven’t exactly come up with exciting signings that make you think anything other than a real relegation battle is on the cards. Which goes a bit against Clowes comments of a “competitive” budget.

Things may improve of course, I’m not writing the window or our season off yet! There have been players we’ve been linked with which would impress me a lot more - exciting younger players like Karamoko Dembele, or players with real top level pedigree like Mathew Ryan.

16 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Interesting… so we’re ranked quite significantly above Excelsior, which puts them as a mid table League One side. I really hope this guy can handle the transition to English football, but like I say, Albentosa and Te Weirik spring to mind.

43 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Interesting… so we’re ranked quite significantly above Excelsior, which puts them as a mid table League One side. I really hope this guy can handle the transition to English football, but like I say, Albentosa and Te Weirik spring to mind.

Ranking teams across nations like that is arbitrary at best. Each league and country has an identity to it, different speeds, intensity, physicality… the list goes on. 

All you try and do is project attributes of individuals into what you want. Can point to countless failures of this, but can point to successes as well - and let’s not pretend this doesn’t happen both ways with domestic transfers as well. 

Derby of old bought high and didn’t really have a plan. The most obvious example of this was Nick Blackman. Some good stats in half a season playing off the right hand side and cutting in. We signed him for a stupid amount and tried to make him a 9. Obviously, none of this has any bearing on what our staff do now as they’re all different, but it’s just to illustrate that you’re better identifying attributes that fit into a specific role in the system you want to use than just going off some stats on paper. 

3 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Yes if Opta are to be believed, most of the Dutch league teams are around Championship standard. On that basis he ought to be a good fit. But as we all also know, moving from a technical league to a more physical league like the Championship can be a hard adjustment.

19 hours ago, Andicis said:

Don't get me wrong, I think it's exciting and would love it to be a good move, but our record abroad in the last few years is pretty shocking, it can only get better!

Point taken (recently) 

we’d all love it to work

my point was we have been on the way down, or only treading water when we signed ‘foreign players’ recently.

this time feels different it has a development, an upward thrust feeling to it.

if Rams challenge it will be because this years signings improve us as a team 😊

3 hours ago, Chilwellram said:

They were paraded to the fans at half time if I remember correctly 

yes apparently i was in the ley lower stand and was going to the loo during half time and missed most of it.

Edited by islandram
spelling error

9 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Osborn definitely has championship pedigree yes. Yates has had one good season at this level, and appears to be rated by Swansea fans about as highly as we rate Nick Blackman. Maybe he can hit that Blackpool form again, but I’m concerned. Jackson does not have Championship pedigree, he’s 30 and has played most his career at lower levels. This guy is a total unknown (which may not be a bad thing).

I’m not saying all our signings will definitely fail, but I am disappointed with the start to our window personally. It’s taken a while to get going and we haven’t exactly come up with exciting signings that make you think anything other than a real relegation battle is on the cards. Which goes a bit against Clowes comments of a “competitive” budget.

Things may improve of course, I’m not writing the window or our season off yet! There have been players we’ve been linked with which would impress me a lot more - exciting younger players like Karamoko Dembele, or players with real top level pedigree like Mathew Ryan.

I thought the dembele signing might excite you but the truth is he’s just as big a risk as either Yates or Jackson. 

His potential signing would excite me too but he’s never done it at a higher level consistently. 

4 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I thought the dembele signing might excite you but the truth is he’s just as big a risk as either Yates or Jackson. 

His potential signing would excite me too but he’s never done it at a higher level consistently. 

It’s his age more than anything for me. Yates and Jackson are probably unlikely to improve beyond the level they’re currently playing at, which isn’t great imo.

Dembele is already playing at a decent level and should have potential to step up. 

4 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

It’s his age more than anything for me. Yates and Jackson are probably unlikely to improve beyond the level they’re currently playing at, which isn’t great imo.

Dembele is already playing at a decent level and should have potential to step up. 

Has Yates scored 23 league goals in 2 seasons at championship level in by all accounts quite poor sides? 1 in 4 isn’t awful. 

Dembele is inconsistent hence being sent to league 1 on loan despite once being hailed as a wonder kid. I’ll be interested to see how it all comes together.