Preseason training

Poynton ram

On 27/06/2024 at 18:12, Topram said:

Our season finished like 5 weeks ago, I was just wondering why we always seem late back??? Especially when others are back after having a shorter break think it’s a valid point 

It is valid, but there's some valid mitigation too. Firstly, I've a strong hunch that that their bodies need that much time to properly recover anyway. There are few more physically gruelling sports than a 50 game season in a competitive and combative football league. If reports of Warne being a fitness martinet are true, then that exacerbates the physical demands, I'd imagine 5 weeks would probably be about par. I'm sure I read a paper on this subject and in basic terms, sportsmen have to have extended downtime to basically fatten up and allow niggles to fade and disappear altogether. I also think if Warne wanted them back earlier, he'd have them. 

Five weeks does seem a lot viewed in isolation, but we also have to remember that on the bank holidays, all of Christmas and most weekends when we are all enjoying time off with friends and family, these lads are still at the coalface and that they do this every year for up to 2 decades. It's a break for the minds too and probably a year's worth of decompression crammed into the one break. I suspect that like me, you're really just wishing they would hurry up so we can crack on with a new season and on that point, we are in full agreement! 🙏

5 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

It is valid, but there's some valid mitigation too. Firstly, I've a strong hunch that that their bodies need that much time to properly recover anyway. There are few more physically gruelling sports than a 50 game season in a competitive and combative football league. If reports of Warne being a fitness martinet are true, then that exacerbates the physical demands, I'd imagine 5 weeks would probably be about par. I'm sure I read a paper on this subject and in basic terms, sportsmen have to have extended downtime to basically fatten up and allow niggles to fade and disappear altogether. I also think if Warne wanted them back earlier, he'd have them. 

Five weeks does seem a lot viewed in isolation, but we also have to remember that on the bank holidays, all of Christmas and most weekends when we are all enjoying time off with friends and family, these lads are still at the coalface and that they do this every year for up to 2 decades. It's a break for the minds too and probably a year's worth of decompression crammed into the one break. I suspect that like me, you're really just wishing they would hurry up so we can crack on with a new season and on that point, we are in full agreement! 🙏

It’s not 5 weeks though, it’s 9 weeks today since our season finished.

6 hours ago, Foreveram said:

It’s not 5 weeks though, it’s 9 weeks today since our season finished.

Are all the other clubs back and in training and is this longer than they would normally be gone? To be honest, I never really think about it too much. Season ends and soon enough it begins again. 

EDIT - Just a thought but has the Euros any bearing on this? Also, might us being well short of a full squad complicate things. I can't recall when the lads normally return.

Edited by Comrade 86

4 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Anything over 60mm (2.36"), I am reliably informed.  You'll be fine mate.  👍  

I will trust your sources mate. All is well then if its only 60mm.

3 minutes ago, SK47 said:

9 inches if a man's asking, and 3 if its a woman 👍

Haha sounds about right. Maybe and half after a few pints.

2 minutes ago, Ram1988 said:

Be good if Yates and Jackson officially sign up on Monday so they can join Osborn and the rest of the team on Monday. We need most of the team to have gone through pre season together in order to hit the ground running at the start of the season.

As Jackson is out of contract, he could technically train with us anyway even if the contract isn’t done. Doubt he would, obviously, but he could.