Ben Osborn - signed on a two-year deal

Sean

9 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Slightly underwhelming, hope he proves me wrong 😊

No criticism, but what level of signing are you expecting if you are underwhelmed by Ben Osbourne?

In my opinion he walks into our team and several others in the Championship, so I think he's a great addition.

It's all opinions of course

7 minutes ago, Loughborough Ram said:

No criticism, but what level of signing are you expecting if you are underwhelmed by Ben Osbourne?

In my opinion he walks into our team and several others in the Championship, so I think he's a great addition.

Who was they expecting us to sign? Declan Rice? In order to feel underwhelmed

Osborn would be a great addition to any championship team!!

29 minutes ago, Loughborough Ram said:

Yep, your opinion. 

18 minutes ago, Loughborough Ram said:

I do get it, because Osborn isn't a flashy player who has huge amount of untapped potential. I think there is something about signing players who are a bit unknown and have high upside - albeit 80% seldom reach their potential or justify the hype. Osborn also has fitness concerns and soft tissue injuries regularly, so that could be playing a part.

We do need a lot of players through the door, however and Osborn fills spots in CM/LWB/LM and he is our best player in all those positions (as it stands). He's an established Championship player, ultimately we need players who have a proven record at this level as well as the gambles we make later on down the line. He's a player who I doubt will be winning games on his own, but he's a player who I will keep us competitive in almost every game. When CBT/NML and others aren't at it. You can almost guarantee that Osborn will be pressing and making life uncomfortable for the opposition. 

I really like the fit for Warne, honestly. I'm not surprised he was so keen to get him. 

55 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Your opinion. I hope he does well and I am proven wrong. Wouldn’t be the first time.

All due respect Jimbo, you’ve said you’re underwhelmed, @Loughborough Ramet al have told you why you perhaps shouldn’t be, and you’ve not actually given any reasoning for your opinion. You’re entitled it, but if you’re not going to give a bit more to substantiate that opinion then it’s bound to get questioned. 

8 hours ago, Srg said:

All due respect Jimbo, you’ve said you’re underwhelmed, @Loughborough Ramet al have told you why you perhaps shouldn’t be, and you’ve not actually given any reasoning for your opinion. You’re entitled it, but if you’re not going to give a bit more to substantiate that opinion then it’s bound to get questioned. 

In all the games I have seen, he doesn’t stand out. He doesn’t create many assists or score many goals. Perhaps he is the work horse that goes unnoticed? Where do you envisage he will be played? It’s my opinion that is as valid as anyone else’s isn’t it? Time will tell. As I said, I hope he is a success.

29 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

In all the games I have seen, he doesn’t stand out. He doesn’t create many assists or score many goals. Perhaps he is the work horse that goes unnoticed? Where do you envisage he will be played? It’s my opinion that is as valid as anyone else’s isn’t it? Time will tell. As I said, I hope he is a success.

And that's fine, no one said it wasn't valid, you just didn't give any reason for it. Thanks for actually giving your reason.

You're right, he doesn't score or assist many, but not all players do to be good. He hasn't played as an attacker really since Forest, I don't think. He's definitely a work horse and that's one of his main attributes. I'm not sure where he's thinking of playing him, could be a left wing back, could be a central midfielder - his versatility and ability to help us switch formations is a big asset.

9 minutes ago, Srg said:

And that's fine, no one said it wasn't valid, you just didn't give any reason for it. Thanks for actually giving your reason.

You're right, he doesn't score or assist many, but not all players do to be good. He hasn't played as an attacker really since Forest, I don't think. He's definitely a work horse and that's one of his main attributes. I'm not sure where he's thinking of playing him, could be a left wing back, could be a central midfielder - his versatility and ability to help us switch formations is a big asset.

I am a Sibbo fan. If he has been brought in to play at left wing back, I would have stuck with him. Offers more going forward. If we sign Adams, I think we are crying out for a Bryson type player who has good assists and goals stats. Other than being able to play in a number of positions what else does Osborne offer? Sheff Utd decided not to keep him? Not sure if some of the positivity is based around the fact he is a Derby lad?

23 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I am a Sibbo fan. If he has been brought in to play at left wing back, I would have stuck with him. Offers more going forward. If we sign Adams, I think we are crying out for a Bryson type player who has good assists and goals stats. Other than being able to play in a number of positions what else does Osborne offer? Sheff Utd decided not to keep him? Not sure if some of the positivity is based around the fact he is a Derby lad?

Sheffield United have some financial troubles so wouldn’t read into who they kept and who they didn’t.

Bryson also didn’t always have a lot of goals and assists - he scored 16 goals one season and didn’t get more than 6 in the other 7 years he was here. 

I’m not sure there’s “excitement” but just a recognition that he has been a premier league player for a while, and where we’ve come from, he’s immediately one of our better players as a result. We’ve also cried out for more energy and dynamism in midfield outside of Ebou and he immediately gives you that.